U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-29-2011, 05:06 PM

21,430 posts, read 28,101,997 times
I think this is kind of nice, in a way. There are several of us that spend a lot of time answering questions and I sometimes think there are a lot of members that think we have no lives or take the forum too seriously. I get the feeling that others kind of snicker and many people don't answer because they know that there are a few tried and true people that will come in and assist. Honestly, I was starting to feel that maybe the "powers that be" didn't care that much about the forum anymore.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:06 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,576,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Some of us have been on here for years. We've diligently answered question after question, physically looked at apartment complexes, took photos, dodged the slings and arrows of many, and one person gets a prize?
You didn't do all that just to get a prize, did you? Especially when no one asked you to.

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:10 PM

9,505 posts, read 11,436,886 times
As a new moderator and one that has given up my freetime to have fun posting in exchange for moderating 3 differant forums I would say it is easier for someone that is not moderating to win than for someone that is moderating. For me I am still learning how to navigate the moderator responsibilities that I have. I am happy to have the chance to participate as a moderator here at City Data. I love to help people, that is one of the reasons that I love being a moderator. When I wasn't moderating I would spend time searching out information for individuals either in the local forums or in the general forums. If I didn't know the answer I would spend time looking it up. I would offer insights that I had on the local area or in one of the general forums. I have learned a lot from others in many of the forums. I would say that we have a lot of informative posters here that are all doing what they can to make this a better forum.

The money is not a pay off for all the great things that one person has done over the others. I would think that when we see who wins all of us will have the opportunity to read what that poster wrote and I would bet that we will all realize that the right person was chosen to win the prize. I can honsetly say I hope it is me. Saying that doesn't mean that I have any connection to City Data other than I am a member first and a moderator second. Sometimes I wish I would have known in advance what it takes to be a good moderator. This is a lot of work and the pay isn't that great. LOL It is also a lot of fun. I love doing it and hope to do it for many years to come.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 10-29-2011 at 11:01 PM..

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM

9,505 posts, read 11,436,886 times
A note to add to the above post. Moderators are not paid for their time. This is a labor of love.

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:22 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,576,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Marka SHOULD win it because if you look, most of her posts are in the "about the forum" forum, so in a way, she is the most informative poster here.
You can't be serious. I respect all mods in here but I think what you just said is simply kissing ass.

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:25 PM

6,337 posts, read 2,628,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I realize exactly why mods are mods. You are completely missing my point.
I don't think so, what I do think is that you are making an issue out of something that hasn't even happened yet or without any indication that it even might. As another poster on here said, I dont have 5k from CD today nor will I tomorrow or ever. I'm doing just fine and it is pleasant to know that the admins. of this site would even do something like this for their members.

There is something special about CD and all it's members, something that no other forum I've ever seen could compete with.

Frankly, your arguments remind me of the childish fights I used to have with my sibling about who was going to get the "biggest" piece of the cake before our mother had even cut the darn thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Perhaps you should ask Marka what exactly is supposed to go in this thread.
I think she may tell you this.....

Complaints

Quote:
Any complaints about Moderators should be sent by DM to a Senior Moderator: Yac or Marka.

Complaints about Senior Moderators are to be sent to Administrator.

Each complaint will be investigated and dealt with.

Unread 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM

41,214 posts, read 21,942,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't understand all those worries, questions, perceptions and insinuations. Do we really need to make them? Everyone is allowed to participate. Everyone means every member who is qualified to enter, also present and former mods - we are members too, and we post like everyone else on this forum.
If you decide to participate - fine. Just try your best to win. It supposed to be fun. Why make it look like a dirty play?
If you think it is, then this contest AND this forum is not for you.
Yeah, you said it. Enter, don't enter, nominate somebody else - why all the angst?

I would like to see members able to nominate others though.

Unread 10-30-2011, 02:17 AM

9,889 posts, read 5,959,782 times
Quite often it happens that the most helpful people are also kinda humble and won't offer themselves up so I hope everybody will go out of their way to encourage someone to enter that you think deserves a chance .

Unread 10-30-2011, 02:56 AM

2,778 posts, read 6,460,728 times
I strongly agree that it's not wise to reveal users real names, photos either, for a number of reasons. They could be using the same 'handle' all over the web, it might endanger them, could provide access to more personal sites such as facebook, etc. Just not a good idea.

Further, knowing that is a possibility some posters could become more guarded or slanted in their opinions or in giving incidences of personal experiences that could be helpful to others.

Personally, I find the beauty of internet posting, particularly here where everyone is so informative and helpful, to be enhanced by the fact that I don't know what color, age, body size, or whether they're missing teeth to be somewhat of an equalizer. I don't have to be influenced by these things and can get to know them by what they express.

Unread 10-30-2011, 08:29 AM

9,633 posts, read 5,173,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Personally, I find the beauty of internet posting, particularly here where everyone is so informative and helpful, to be enhanced by the fact that I don't know what color, age, body size, or whether they're missing teeth to be somewhat of an equalizer. I don't have to be influenced by these things and can get to know them by what they express.
I feel the same way. In addition, I find value in the concept of friends and enemies who come with off switches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum