U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 AM

3,051 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Smile January-February 2013 City-Data Forum's Most Informative Poster Contest discussion ($6000 in prizes)

This new contest is now open for entries! There will be one $5000 winner and two $500 winners ($6,000 in total prizes).

All posts made prior to the contest period will count and all posts made during the contest period will count seven times more.

All previous contest winners will be eligible to win with the following limitations:
-Previous $5000 winners - only their posts after the end date of the contest that they won will count.
-Previous $500 winners - all their posts will count like those of non-winners when it comes to the $5000 prize. When it comes to $500 prizes, only their posts made after the end date of the contest that they won will count.

Official rules are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 AM

25,848 posts, read 44,078,454 times
Wonderful! This forum rocks! It's nice to belong to an online community that rewards you for conscientious participation. Best of luck to everyone! As a previous $500 winner who has been struggling financially I can definitely say these prizes make a huge difference in the lives of your members!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 AM

6,673 posts, read 3,143,121 times
Great way to start the new year.

I do have one question and if someone can refer me, I'd appreciate it. Is there a link (to the rules) somewhere on CD that explains what constitutes an informative poster? What sort of information is acceptable? Just discussion? Links?

I'd just like to know since I've had previous posts edited because they contain links to information the OP was looking for. Thanks

Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM

25,848 posts, read 44,078,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Great way to start the new year.

I do have one question and if someone can refer me, I'd appreciate it. Is there a link (to the rules) somewhere on CD that explains what constitutes an informative poster? What sort of information is acceptable? Just discussion? Links?

I believe the Administrator said specific rules and requirements for this particular contest will come soon, but I can say that you receive brownie points if your contributions are well-written (including containing accurate grammar), informational, and "helpful". Naturally the selection process is quite subjective, but I believe I won my $500 prize in the past partially because of the dozens of prolific photo tours I added to this forum since joining in 2006. Having infractions or other disciplinary measures doesn't necessarily destroy your chances of winning, as I've had numerous infractions in the past (a few members knew how to push my buttons in the past). With that being said your best bet would be to try to err on the cautious side of contentious feuds and to report posts that you deem to be inappropriate instead of potentially adding fuel to a fire.

With the exception of the occasional post I make that is succinct and is 100% intended just to inject some much-needed comic relief into an otherwise tense-feeling thread I generally try to ONLY post things that will add value to the topic at-hand. I ask myself often "Will posting this benefit someone else?" I suggest others do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'd just like to know since I've had previous posts edited because they contain links to information the OP was looking for. Thanks
When it comes to posting a link one has to be very careful that it doesn't unintentionally violate the forum's terms of service by either advertising a competitor's site or advertising in general. If you post a link to the site for the tourism web site "VisitPittsburgh", for example, as reinforcement to a reply to someone who inquired about things to do in Pittsburgh, then that wouldn't qualify as advertising. If you post a link to a specific real estate agent's web site after recommending him or her that would be considered "advertising" and would best be served sent to a specific member via a direct message.

Just the other day I had two posts on the Northern Virginia sub-forum that were edited by their moderator for advertising purposes. I work for a major bank, and a member on there was asking about which bank would be the "best" bank to join. Initially I was so excited to extol the virtues of my employer I just went off on a tangent singing our praises and detailing some of the products we offer. Upon editing by the moderator I agreed that it was obvious advertising (although done unintentionally and with good intentions).

Generally you will only get in trouble for something like this if it's a repeat offense and/or if the moderator(s) in question deem the offense to be blatant advertising. In both of our cases they probably recognized we were just trying to be helpful and didn't realize we were advertising.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Great information SCR. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Thank you, also, for contributing with photos. I do enjoy looking the photos of various places all around the world (especially the U.S.) and we have some wonderful photographers here.

I know what you mean about pushing buttons. I've had a few that I've wanted to really let 'em have it but that's when I just turn the computer off and walk away. Still, this site is the best around. Whoever (or whomever) built it, really did a great job.

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM

37 posts, read 41,756 times
My post ( Are Round Rock Police Out Of Control?) view count was incorrect, it was read 14,463 times as of today. Can someone look into it? Appreciate it!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodforlife View Post
My post ( Are Round Rock Police Out Of Control?) view count was incorrect, it was read 14,463 times as of today. Can someone look into it? Appreciate it!

No. Your total views for ALL your posts is 14,463. The individual thread you mention has been read over 8,000 times.

28 posts, read 14,463 times

Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 PM

1,824 posts, read 2,154,510 times
So what exactly does the number mean that's in white against a green background next to where it says how many days are left in the contest? In the last contest, I thought it corresponded to the number of points earned during the contest period but that didn't seem to be the case.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
So what exactly does the number mean that's in white against a green background next to where it says how many days are left in the contest? In the last contest, I thought it corresponded to the number of points earned during the contest period but that didn't seem to be the case.
There is a count down for the number of days until the end of the contest period. The number next to it is explained when you hover your mouse cursor over it - it shows the number of posts you have made during the contest period.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 AM

316 posts, read 204,781 times
Just entered! Need more money in 2013. Look forward to some meaningful discussions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum