U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,718,617 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is possible with the software you guys use but I always have the states forums collapsed b'c it takes forever to get to the the "General Forums" when they are in full view.

My suggestion is: Is it possible to customize the State Forums so you can have only the states you want listed under the state forums when you're logged in?

Okay, my 2 cents. I'm probably the only weirdo who thinks this would be a good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 12:28 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,473,250 times
Interesting idea, foma, but I doubt that this option could be customized just based on the number of members at CDF these days (+180,000).

What I do is just subscribe to the forums I frequent, and then occasionally do a check on new posts to see if something particular catches my eye.

But don't take this as an answer, but rather a thought. Administration will have the answer.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 PM

Yeah, I used to subcribe but then I started getting "too much" to read in my emails! Now I just subcribe to the ones I've responded to but I don't get email messages. Much more manageable. I like to see "new posts" but I just don't want to be reminded of new posts b'c I don't frequent CD as often as I'd like.

I guess my question was more in line with, "Is this even possible given the software that they use?" I don't know how "customizeable" it is for each user when they are logged in.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:53 PM

3,091 posts, read 8,209,304 times
Quote:
I guess my question was more in line with, "Is this even possible given the software that they use?" I don't know how "customizeable" it is for each user when they are logged in.
Nope, not possible.

You can collapse entire sections but not within a section. You will see this button at each category (US, World, General, Admin) and you can collapse each of those sections but not within those sections. Liz

Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,008,824 times
It would seem like it would be a relatively simple add-on, Liz. Put little check mark boxes adjacent to the forums you'd like to exempt from the collapse and when the collapse button is selected, it collapses the category with the exceptions of those which were checked.

Could you devise such an add-on, please.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:03 PM

3,091 posts, read 8,209,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
It would seem like it would be a relatively simple add-on, Liz. Put little check mark boxes adjacent to the forums you'd like to exempt from the collapse and when the collapse button is selected, it collapses the category with the exceptions of those which were checked.

Could you devise such an add-on, please.
Yeah, right...NOT...I am a designer at VB.org not a coder! LOL. IF you check under my name at vb.org you won't see coder under my name. You WILL see Designer under my name. That would take a coder to handle something like that. I'd mangle it and get it all screwed up. Liz

Old 10-27-2007, 04:25 PM

It's just a little if/then statement. Liz can add the checkbox and somebody can add the code! Voila!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:14 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,675,707 times
Quote:
Okay, my 2 cents. I'm probably the only weirdo who thinks this would be a good idea!
Not at all,That would be awesome!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 PM

5,655 posts, read 12,044,887 times
I'm not sure what 'collapse' means exactly. But if CD could put all the different states under a sub-heading like we do now for other topics / games, it would make the opening page a whole lot shorter. Not sure if that's what you're after foma, but then I'm kinda non-technical.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,008,824 times
I think that's what Liz was describing, Square Peg. Do you see the button?

You'll see five of them in each section (right side top) of the City-Data Forum main page. If you click on one, it will collapse that section.

What foma wants is to be able to collapse the section and still keep the states she wants to view out of the collapsing section. That way she can see the states she wants to see and the ones she doesn't care about won't show.

Same with the other sections. If you only wanted to see the Garden, Relationships, and Fashion and Beauty forums for instance, you might want to collapse the General Forums section and still view those three forums. Now you can't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum