U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM

14 posts, read 6,172 times
Default How can I close or delete a thread I started?

How can I close or delete a thread I started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 AM

1,094 posts, read 618,716 times
Never tried to do that. But if you can it will be under the "Thread Tools" pull down menu.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 AM

17,144 posts, read 17,839,317 times
If it is over 90 minutes old you will not be able to edit it. You can report it by clicking on the Report Posts icon. The report will go to an appropriate moderator. If a lot of people have replied to it, they might not delete it, they may close it...

Old 05-18-2013, 02:30 PM

9,038 posts, read 6,707,484 times
Default Musings about starting a thread

What is it about being an orginal poster (starting a thread) that makes some people so possessive and controlling? A thread is not going the way they originally conceived of it, so they want to close it or delete it? I don't get it. I have started a number of threads, but I view myself only as the person who initiated a conversation, not as a school teacher in front of a class whose legitimate role is to direct and limit the discussion. We are all adults here, or least we are supposed to be.

Yes, I do understand that some threads spin out of control and become flame wars and should be closed. But any poster in that thread, not only the OP, can legitimately and properly report such a condition to a moderator. In my view, the OP as a reporter would carry no more or no less weight, credibility, or validity than anyone else.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:38 PM

12,503 posts, read 17,905,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuo19 View Post
How can I close or delete a thread I started?
Since you have only started, and participated, in one thread since joining it wasn't difficult to figure things out. I have closed the thread.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:58 PM

9,038 posts, read 6,707,484 times
Default Oops! I forgot something.

In my post #4 above, I was speaking in general terms and did not intend any criticism of the OP of this thread, especially inasmuch as I did not take the trouble to find the thread in question. I recognize that in a given case, there might be excellent reasons for wanting a thread closed. So, my apologies to the OP. Haste makes waste when posting!

I was basing my comments on actual experiences I have witnessed with OP's trying to control the direction of the discussions and becoming frustrated. (It's sort of like herding cats.) So I do stand behind those comments, but with the caveat of my first paragraph here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum