Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,065,663 times

Advertisements

Very rarely, if it's an interesting subject. For most long threads I just read the last few pages.

I agree with the person who said the longer threads tend to have pages and pages that go off topic. Sometimes it's fighting, sometimes it's just chat, but whatever it is, it's interesting at the time but months later is tedious to wade through. Nothing against chat--it can have a lot of value at the time it's written--but I feel no obligation to read through pages of it just for the sake of reading an entire thread. The last few pages of most threads are usually enough to get me up to speed on a topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,667,682 times
I'll read through if it's interesting, but if a fight breaks out I'm gone. Well, I'm gone unless it's a good fight. It's fun to watch some idiot trolling and getting no traction, or a know-it-all that doesn't.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,662,699 times
I'm a fast reader so can easily manage a lot of posts very quickly so generally the answer is "yes". Often when I've read through there's nothing I have to add as everything (particularly on a long thread) has pretty much already been repeated half a dozen times already!

What really irritates me is posters who just can't be bothered to read even a couple of pages and then pop in to make a comment that's already been made several times over or, worse, seem to have not even read the original post and either make a totally irrelevant point or ask questions, the answers to which were already addressed in the first post.

And let's not even get into people who read only the first post of a multi-page thread which dates back several years and answer that post when a new question has been added to the thread just a couple of posts back ...

Kvetching over. Another cup of coffee and I'll be all set!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,173,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What really irritates me is posters who just can't be bothered to read even a couple of pages and then pop in to make a comment that's already been made several times over or, worse,!

....worse is when many of them don't read anything but the op and it contains false information that was debunked within the next 2 posts.
Especially rife on the P&C board.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM

32,629 posts, read 47,951,677 times
If there are 20 pages of posts, they have enough opinions and don't need mine. It's not unusual for the OP to have left the thread by that point.

If there are 20 pages of posts, there will be several pages of posts added after mine, so nobody will read mine.

It's a waste of effort to give advice that nobody needs and nobody will read.

Yes, I sometimes read the entire thing if the topic is interesting or very controversial.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 PM

6,105 posts, read 4,599,351 times
Thanks Everyone! It's good to see I'm not the only one who has thought about this.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,873,139 times
Bravo. I was planning to start almost the exact same thread

Ironically people have answered just I like would have. Except that sometimes I read every 2nd or 3rd page, which often include quotes from the better posts on skipped pages.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,416,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
....worse is when many of them don't read anything but the op and it contains false information that was debunked within the next 2 posts. Especially rife on the P&C board.
I've found it everywhere, and it is one of the things that really makes me crazy about forum dynamics. From my observations, a surprisingly large number of people only seem to read the OP's original post and then post their response to it, even when the #2 post says something like "NOOO!!! Don't do it!!! It's a scam and here's the proof: !!!"

I once watched this happen where Post #1 reposted a particularly egregious hoax and then urged people to take a specific action and then to say they had done it. It was followed by Post #2 which completely exposed the hoax, with documentation and warning, and then posters #3 - 15 chimed In with "Done!," "Did it!," and the like.

From the sidelines, as the day wore on and the line got longer and longer, the mental picture came to me of a parade of mammoths following each other off an icy cliff to their doom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum