Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,678 times

Advertisements

This is going sound like a dumb question to some, but as a baby boomer, I am still somewhat new to on-line forums. What exactly is a "forum troll"? I have picked up that it is not a good thing and have gathered that it is someone who does not respect any opinions on the discussion board that differ from their own. Is that even close to being accurate?

Another question - What is a "sticky"?

Please enlighten this technically challenged boomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
A troll is someone that maybe just stumbles across a public forum, leaves a nasty or smartaleck remark or post...then never returns. There are probably a few other descriptions as well.

A sticky...is a thread (like this one you started), that gets stuck at the top of the page. It is meant to be there. It does not get shuffled down through the list of threads as others are posted in and thus moved to the top of the list.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:29 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
This is going sound like a dumb question to some, but as a baby boomer, I am still somewhat new to on-line forums. What exactly is a "forum troll"? I have picked up that it is not a good thing and have gathered that it is someone who does not respect any opinions on the discussion board that differ from their own. Is that even close to being accurate?

Another question - What is a "sticky"?

Please enlighten this technically challenged boomer.
I don't see any dumb questions . And applaud you for asking .

Old 12-20-2007, 08:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
A troll often times post something just to get the other posters into arguments. As Rance said, they normally post only once and don't come back to that thread or forum.

This forum is moderated by volunteers who try to catch trolls before they cause problems, but we also rely on other members to report post that are not in line with our Terms of Service.

We have a lot of really great members and moderators. There are some really good forums for boomers. We have retirement and grandparents to name a few.

Have fun posting and enjoy one of the best forums on the internet.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-20-2007 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: added

Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Have fun posting and enjoy one of the best forums on the internet.
Ahem... I think you mean the best forum on the internet! Keep up the good work

Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Ahem... I think you mean the best forum on the internet! Keep up the good work
Hear! Hear!

...and jkoz please note: There are no dumb questions, just occasionally dumb answers (hey, My Dad used to tell me that when I had a question and prefaced it with "This may be a dumb question, but.....")

Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Hear! Hear!

...and jkoz please note: There are no dumb questions, just occasionally dumb answers (hey, My Dad used to tell me that when I had a question and prefaced it with "This may be a dumb question, but.....")
My Dad may have known your Dad.We may be related. Whenever my dad asked me a question, he used to say, "OK, that is a dumb answer".

Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Remember the story of the 3 billy goats who had to pass over the bridge each day and the TROLL who lived under the bridge always stopped them. Trolls cause trouble and are frequently mean and disruptive, and block the progress of those who are merrily wending their way, not bothering anybody.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
did someone mention "trolls"

hang on let me go get the

Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
did someone mention "trolls"

hang on let me go get the

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum