Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,379,006 times

Advertisements

Although the threads in this area are helpful, they are specific, and it is still difficult for a "newcomer" to get an overview of the system. Would someone be willing to offer me a "tutorial" or novice's policy and procedure manual to reps?

For example, how do you sign your name or leave a message with a rep?
All I have been doing is clicking the "positive" sign. How do you give more than one point? I never heard about negative reps until I stumbled across a post here. What is that all about? Some people referred to gaming the system. Are people using this as a popularity contest, and how would they do that? Why? Is it ego or is there somewhere to redeem points for games and prizes?
Someone else said they were "running out of rep points to give". Are you allotted a certain number? How do you earn them?

Sorry if these questions are covered somewhere else. I like the exchange of ideas, but would also like to remove my ignorance of how to properly use the system. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Check the Faqs above this forum for some additional info. After you've read through those, feel free to come back and ask more questions.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks gizmo980. I just found some of your helpful info under "embarrassing apologies".
Never thought to look there.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
To leave a message when you give a rep to someone. Click the scale icon ( )...do it now. Then, simply type your message in the box.

To give more than 1 rep at a time, you have to accummulate an undisclosed number of reps, and possibly a certain number of posts, and possibly a certain number of reads, and possibly to have been a member for a certain period of time. The actual criteria is a closely guarded secret!

Unless the rules have changed ( the reputation system is in a constant state of flux ), you can only give rep to 15 posts a day. If you attempt to give more than that, a message will mysteriously appear informing you that you have given out the maximium rep within the past 24 hrs.

Before you can rep the same prerson again, you have to give rep to 20 different people. If you attempt to rep the same person prior to that, a message will mysteriously appear, informing you that you have to spread some reputation around before you can rep this person again.

Both situations are somewhat akin to being in rep jail! It would be nice to have a Get out of a Jail Free card.

I hope this is helpful.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by Marka; 12-16-2007 at 06:16 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
NewAgeRedneck gave an excellent summary. Additionally, when you leave a message, you have to sign your member name, it won't show up automatically (if you want the person to know you repped them). Also, you can click the plus sign [+] at the bottom left of a post where it says "Rate this post positively" and it will leave an anonymous rep.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
To leave a message when you give a rep to someone. Click the scale icon ( )...do it now. Then, simply type your message in the box.

To give more than 1 rep at a time, you have to accummulate an undisclosed number of reps, and possibly a certain number of posts, and possibly a certain number of reads, and possibly to have been a member for a certain period of time. The actual criteria is a closely guarded secret!

Unless the rules have changed ( the reputation system is in a constant state of flux ), you can only give rep to 15 posts a day. If you attempt to give more than that, a message will mysteriously appear informing you that you have given out the maximium rep within the past 24 hrs.

Before you can rep the same prerson again, you have to give rep to 20 different people. If you attempt to rep the same person prior to that, a message will mysteriously appear, informing you that you have to spread some reputation around before you can rep this person again.

Both situations are somewhat akin to being in rep jail! It would be nice to have a Get out of a Jail Free card.

I hope this is helpful.

blessings...Franco
Very cogent tutorial. I have exercised my new knowledge by sending you 1 rep. I was too frightened to attempt to send two reps since my accumulated data is undisclosed and is apparently being held in a secret computer in a lockbox in an unknown location in a cavern far from here which is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

I have also learned that I now need to wait for nineteen creative posters before I attempt to rep you again and risk a meltdown message from another life form from a galaxy far far away.

I will now sit here quietly with the satisfaction of the knowledge enhancement you provided, but with some trepidation that the aluminum foil head-wrap I am wearing may not protect me from the mysterious messages you warned may appear on my screen.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:53 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
rofl GLS
great post

form your "research" I am sure you have seen the different "terms" for when folks can't rep but
"a meltdown message from another life form from a galaxy far far away"
has to be one of the funniest

I am going to have to send you some of my extra special " gold stars"

you also newage for the great explanation

karla

Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
That was Great!! Thank for the giggles, reps to you!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,065 times
Thumbs up outstanding information

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post

I hope this is helpful.

blessings...Franco
You sure do post some intelligent and helpful info...maybe you should become a Mod???

Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Just when I think that the rep system, that has been revamped and tweaked and gussied up, has settled down for the long haul, I now discover this new wheel in the cog.

I just gave my buddy HDL some rep points, but alas and alack, I could only give her ONE. So I went over to the Florida forum and repped someone over there, and I was able to give him THREE.

What up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum