Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:05 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about spamming, inundating, putting something huge that stretches the page for other users on that thread, etc. Just a well-timed, relevant image now and then.

Is linking to IMGUR considered "hot-linking?"

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,330 times
Hot-linking is a term used for posting an image from another website (any website) as opposed to uploading it to CD. It is not recommended because a lot of images are moved or deleted with time and since you have no control over that other website, you can't avoid ending up with a blank space in your post if it happens.

As long as the image is yours, you can upload it to IMGUR or any hosting page of your choice and hot-link it as much as you want. If it's someone else's image, apart from the above argument, make sure it's not copyrighted.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Another big issue with hot linking is (other than the image disappearing over time), if you link to an image from another forum, website, etc, the resources (bandwidth) of that forum/website are being used to serve the image here on CD every time someone views it, and it is likely that bandwidth is costing the serving entity money, while getting no visit to it's site.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Another big issue with hot linking is (other than the image disappearing over time), if you link to an image from another forum, website, etc, the resources (bandwidth) of that forum/website are being used to serve the image here on CD every time someone views it, and it is likely that bandwidth is costing the serving entity money, while getting no visit to it's site.
No, I get that NHDave. That's why you use an *image-hosting service* -- such as Imgur, the premiere image-hosting service on the Web. They actively encourage the use of their service for exactly what I'm asking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imgur

https://imgur.com/about

Old 08-29-2017, 01:52 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
No, I get that NHDave. That's why you use an *image-hosting service* -- such as Imgur, the premiere image-hosting service on the Web. They actively encourage the use of their service for exactly what I'm asking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imgur

https://imgur.com/about
Correct, that's what services like that are designed for. Photobucket is another popular one.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:25 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
But please remember what Marka said above in post #2

Quote:
...As long as the image is yours, you can upload it to IMGUR or any hosting page of your choice...
If it's not yours, please don't post it. That's a copyright violation of not only City-Data's TOS it is against federal copyright laws. This includes comics too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 AM

^ Thanks. So, three discussion points come out of that.

1. What about inserting a LINK -- linking TO the URL which contains the image (so people have to click on it to see the image)? Is that considered a copyright infringement? I'll point out that links to articles are used all the time, and Youtube videos are embedded right in posts (much like an image might be).

2. How do we prove we were the owner / uploader of an Imgur image we embed in a post? Is a copyright infringement just assumed?

3. If another Imgur user uploads an image expressly desiring for that image to be shared with the world (on Twitter, Reddit, message boards like C-D Forums, etc.) which is often the case, it seems a little strange to me that that would be prohibited on C-D Forums.

Thank you!

Old 08-31-2017, 04:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

1. What about inserting a LINK -- linking TO the URL which contains the image (so people have to click on it to see the image)? Is that considered a copyright infringement? I'll point out that links to articles are used all the time, and Youtube videos are embedded right in posts (much like an image might be).
Just post the link, the url should stay the same. they will have to click on it to see the picture:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/368/18...760da29e_c.jpg

Or the same image, handled a bit differently: Motorcycle Picture

Old 08-31-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Just post the link, the url should stay the same. they will have to click on it to see the picture:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/368/18...760da29e_c.jpg
I know how to do it, the forum software parses it and adds the url tags. I was more pondering whether posting a link to an image owned by somebody could be considered a copyright infringement.

It seems a thin line between linking to a pic in a post so people can display it with a click and displaying a pic on a post. We display videos on posts.

Thank you.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
No, posting a link to a photo that does not embed the photo is the correct way to do it. If the link enables you to show the picture in the thread that's a violation.

There is a way for us to check to see if a picture is copyrighted.

I often come across text or pictures that are governed by Creative Commons. Those are not an issue when shared. Remember we have ways to check if the photo is copied from another site with a copyright.

A final note,

Sometimes we get pictures that have been on several sites. If that picture can be found on a site that claims copyright then that is a violation. I have often found that a member believes that because the picture has been shared several times it free to share. Most often it is not. Just because another site doesn't care about copyright infringements it does not give free reign to post said picture here on CD.

Then there is the subject of hot-linking. That is also against our Terms of Service.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-31-2017 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum