U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 PM

939 posts, read 513,470 times

Advertisements

A while back, I copied and pasted some quotes from various threads I wanted to respond to.

I did not make note of the thread titles, as I was planning on responding when they were current, but I did copy and paste the quotes to a word doc., so I could copy and paste them back into CD's "Message" dialog box to edit, then post.

For example... [quote=username;120934873984774].

Is there a way to enter that into a search function somewhere to bring up the corresponding thread?

If it can't be done, is it acceptable to copy and paste a quote from an older thread to a similar current thread?

If not, I guess the only other option would be to do an extensive search in various separate forums, as there are several or more these quotes could have originated from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM

1,189 posts, read 801,783 times
Any search engine can be limited to a certain domain.

If you type

site:city-data.com/forum

then a few words from the quote, the post of that thread should appear in the search results.

Hope this helps/works.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:59 AM

939 posts, read 513,470 times
Thanks for your response.

I would have never guessed to type the site:city-data.com/forum wording.

Made the final decision not to link and post them not too long after I clicked Submit Reply for this thread!

At least I know it's not violating the TOS.

I'm sure I'll use it in the future for something else, and actually could have used it about an hour before I came back to this thread for two different forums/threads here at C-D!

Last edited by noregon98; 12-09-2017 at 01:09 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 09:19 AM

25,318 posts, read 41,412,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
A while back, I copied and pasted some quotes from various threads I wanted to respond to.
In the future, you can right-click on the post number and copy use that URL to go back to that post. Post numbers can change but the above should always work.

Click on the following URL to your first post in this thread: Can I Retrieve A Specific Thread Via A Specific Quote # From It?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or