Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:50 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Don't make it a subforum at all.
If there is Parenting main forum, then Child-free Life Forum has the same right to be a main forum too.
That forum could be supportive environment for people who don’t have kids, don’t plan to have children in the future or can’t have children. It should invite members to join for an honest discussion with like-minded people about all aspects of life without children.
It should exclude people trying to have kids.
And probably those who aborted - as this is always controversial topic that creates flame wars and shame posts.
In comparison to narratives on parenting, our culture struggles to provide sufficient resources and acceptance for childfree lifestyles.

Last edited by elnina; 01-20-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 07:47 PM

999 posts, read 553,211 times
I'd just like to add my vote to the list of those who want a childfree forum here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just wonder what the point would be of a childfree subforum? What would people talk about?
How awful other people’s children are?
How other people’s children ruined their restaurant meal?
How much they enjoy their second home in Napa?

A forum about something that doesn’t exist? I don’t get it.
There's another childfree forum I'm on (I'd link but we're not allowed) that's extremely active.

Trust me, there's a lot to talk about. Before I considered myself childfree, I had NO IDEA the amount of judgment, hate, and stigma the childfree have to deal with. Quite frankly, it's awful.

I've been called selfish dozens of times.
I've been told that since I won't be doing my "biological duty", I should just commit suicide.
I've been told that no one will be interested in a relationship with me unless I provide children.
I've been told I should suck it up and have kids, despite having zero interest in parenting and being happy as a non-parent.
I've been told I'm "not a real woman".
I've been called mentally ill.

...I could go on and on.

On top of that, there's a lot of other interesting issues to discuss. Such as how childfree people are portrayed in the media. (We're not, basically. Very rarely anyway. And when we are, the character often "changes their mind")

There's also all the environmental aspects of remaining childfree, and other subjects, such as how childfree people can get involved in their communities and support the next generation in other ways aside from being a parent. You'd be surprised how many childfree people are teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Also, not every CF couple is CF by choice, and to have an avenue to discuss that with others in the same situation could be cathartic.
Just for the sake of understanding each other in discussions, it's important to point out that "childfree" is always by choice. What you're referring to is being "childless". Big difference. And that might deserve it's own forum as well.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I've been called selfish dozens of times.
I've been told that since I won't be doing my "biological duty", I should just commit suicide.
I've been told that no one will be interested in a relationship with me unless I provide children.
I've been told I should suck it up and have kids, despite having zero interest in parenting and being happy as a non-parent.
I've been told I'm "not a real woman".
I've been called mentally ill.

...I could go on and on.
I'm childfree. I think this is a silly idea of a childfree forum. As to the above statement...shrug. So what people have said crazy stuff to you. That's a part of life.

If one has made a personal decision to remain childfree, then learn to stand in your decision. Comments from others shouldn't hurt your feelings.

Last edited by charlygal; 03-05-2019 at 09:27 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 PM

I am extremely vocal on these forums about my childfree position. No worries there. I most definitely stand up for what I believe on a regular basis.

I enjoy the other childfree forum I'm on, and I thought it could be nice to have another one here, that's all. Not sure why people are so against it?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Good luck with that. Still waiting for important topics like Heart Health.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
could include a lost children sticky for kids that have wandered off in a grocery store or get loose some other way

Old 03-16-2019, 12:48 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Quote:
Just for the sake of understanding each other in discussions, it's important to point out that "childfree" is always by choice. What you're referring to is being "childless". Big difference. And that might deserve it's own forum as well.
Good point. Thx for the clarification.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Childless adults will generally have an easy time fitting in with the Parents' Forum. Provided that they're planning children in the future, and to a slightly lesser extent if their childlessness is involuntary (like infertility). Childfree adults are almost an anathema to the Parents' Forum, so their own forum is more warranted. Also, while some childfree people sincerely respect responsible parents who discipline their children, others think any kind of procreation is a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
could include a lost children sticky for kids that have wandered off in a grocery store or get loose some other way
How is this a childfree-related topic? Or is this a play on words of some kind?

Old 03-17-2019, 12:44 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
A "childfree" subforum of "Parenting" is not outside the realm of possibility. I mean, look where they positioned the "Atheism and Agnosticism" subforum.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Good luck with that. Still waiting for important topics like Heart Health.
I do agree that's more important. I didn't realize there was a competition and a long waiting list of forums people desired. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum