Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:19 AM

134 posts, read 549,523 times

Advertisements

OK folks, we all have our opinions. I have made a few comments on this board, most I thought were harmless, and I have certainly tried to help.

Who ever you are that insists on taking pot shots at me through this lame reputation thing: why not discuss it with me in the open forum as opposed to just hitting a negative reputation and making snide remarks and hiding in annonymity? Perhaps we could both learn something in the process. Sheeesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Hey, Packers fan, huh? Good for you. So are we!

Sorry you've had a bad experience with someone here...maybe it's the Packers they are taking pot shots at, and not you. Sports, religion and politics will often show you the "other" side of a person.

This is a good forum for information. I find that most people are very helpful and really nice. Don't let a bad apple spoil your experience here. The vast majority are good people. Hang in there.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,490 times
Packer Fan,
Don't get discouraged, your input is needed.
As for the forum "reputation" piece...it probably started out as a good thing, but it is just too easy to manipulate (like have all your coworkers bump you up with positive ratings..) So, personally I take it with a grain of salt and just try to judge the posts on their own merit.
For example, there is a poster on this forum that just spews out facts w/out any personal input, and they have a reputation of about a jillion. I honestly don't even think it's a real person, just a link to Google or Wikipedia or such. I would rather read the first hand sincere account from a poster with a lesser "reputation" (forum-wise that is!) than a robot.
As a newcomer to the area, you are giving other potential newcomers what may be useful information if they are in a similar situation. Hang in there!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
For example, there is a poster on this forum that just spews out facts w/out any personal input, and they have a reputation of about a jillion.
One jillion fact lovers can't be wrong Aw c'mon, median household incomes are TOTALLY useful. Like, take Dinkytown's Census information. They have a median household income of $55,000. That's pretty good! They've got two families making $100,000/year and two making $10,000/year

Sean

Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
One jillion fact lovers can't be wrong Aw c'mon, median household incomes are TOTALLY useful. Like, take Dinkytown's Census information. They have a median household income of $55,000. That's pretty good! They've got two families making $100,000/year and two making $10,000/year

Sean

Too Too FUNNY! Thanks!!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
OThey've got two families making $100,000/year and two making $10,000/year

Sean
Funny...but actually the odd thing is, in this state, such disparities are not all that uncommon.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Packer Fan,
Don't get discouraged, your input is needed.
As for the forum "reputation" piece...it probably started out as a good thing, but it is just too easy to manipulate (like have all your coworkers bump you up with positive ratings..) So, personally I take it with a grain of salt and just try to judge the posts on their own merit.
For example, there is a poster on this forum that just spews out facts w/out any personal input, and they have a reputation of about a jillion. I honestly don't even think it's a real person, just a link to Google or Wikipedia or such. I would rather read the first hand sincere account from a poster with a lesser "reputation" (forum-wise that is!) than a robot.
As a newcomer to the area, you are giving other potential newcomers what may be useful information if they are in a similar situation. Hang in there!

That is my goal here. we came here without knowing anyone. We are doing the best we can to blend in. We dont expect other to change their lifestyle for us. If I can make it easier for other movign to the area, and hopefully make some friends along the way, well wouldnt that be a good thing? I just didnt want to end up with a totally negative reputation and people discard what I might have to say. But when you get replies like "get over it" and "Is that all you do is complain"... heck I was just trying to help by conveying our own experiences.

I do have some experiences that may help others. I do have my own opinions... we all do.

I appreciate the words posted here. I am trying to encourage the person(s) to discuss in an open forum. If you have issues with what I say, lets discuss it!

You folks are great and I look forward to discussing the area, as this is now our home. We look forward to making tight friends and sharing the happiness we have in our home with others. And I will do my best to help others where I can.

Now... where is this warm weather I was promised??? Could be worse... it is -15 where I came from (and that is not the wind chill factor!!)

Old 02-05-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Hey, Packers fan, huh? Good for you. So are we!

Sorry you've had a bad experience with someone here...maybe it's the Packers they are taking pot shots at, and not you. Sports, religion and politics will often show you the "other" side of a person.

This is a good forum for information. I find that most people are very helpful and really nice. Don't let a bad apple spoil your experience here. The vast majority are good people. Hang in there.
Heh, does it count that I am a Hurricane fan?

Funny how many Packer fans come out of the wood work. Maybe I will do a City-Data.com Packer party next year! Brats boiled in beer... Old Fashions... and of course we would need to add in the NC shrimp, BBQ and coleslaw.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
OK folks, we all have our opinions. I have made a few comments on this board, most I thought were harmless, and I have certainly tried to help.

Who ever you are that insists on taking pot shots at me through this lame reputation thing: why not discuss it with me in the open forum as opposed to just hitting a negative reputation and making snide remarks and hiding in annonymity? Perhaps we could both learn something in the process. Sheeesh
Hey, don't get discouraged! There are occasionally a few grumps on this board, but the vast majority of posters are here with good intentions And I know that includes you!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
I would rather read the first hand sincere account from a poster with a lesser "reputation" (forum-wise that is!) than a robot.
There aren't any robots on the forums. The person who posts the facts and stats takes a considerable amount of personal time to do so- as a service to the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum