U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should single-issue hate mongers be permitted on CD?
Yes, there should be no censorship on CD 18 27.27%
No, if their only contribution to CD is to spew hateful rhetoric, they are violating TOS and should be removed 40 60.61%
I really don't care one way or another 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 AM

9,366 posts, read 23,600,450 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a number of new members cropping up whose only involvement on the CD forums is to spew hate against another group. Their intention, IMO, is to undermine actual debate.

I would like CD to consider removing posters like this. It is one thing if a member has a number of posts on various issues, but when it is obvious that someone has joined CD only to flame and spread hatred on single-issue topics, I don't think this is the place for them.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM

40,051 posts, read 31,889,042 times
I'm in complete agreement. Having said so, however, I should also say that I don't think it's going to happen. (Here's hoping I'm wrong!)

Old 01-01-2009, 12:19 PM

41,313 posts, read 41,516,006 times
We are being infiltrated by hamas sympathizers/apologists trying to spread their propaganda.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:58 PM

36,728 posts, read 47,520,602 times
Who gets to decide?

Me, who thinks a lot of what's posted is nothing more than ultra (note that word-ultra) liberal tripe from people who feel that everything is offensive. Or the member who thinks I'm "full of angst" because I corrected some real incorrect statements on the role of FEMA during disasters?

Just ignore what you don't want to read and don't post a response.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:06 PM

14,407 posts, read 9,952,767 times
Censorship of an opinion is wrong. if someone was spamming that would be different...

Old 01-01-2009, 01:14 PM

24,130 posts, read 12,318,159 times
If you don't like a thread, vote with your keyboard. Don't post on it.

If others feel the same way, it will drop to the bottom of the forum like a cannonball.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,535,863 times
That depends.

If a member has 0 posts in the State/City forums, that makes me wonder why they even joined the site in the first place. I have gotten carried away with the P&OC forum, but it is hard to keep your post count down here with all the BS you have to debunk.

That being said, members should have X number of posts in the State/City/World forums before being able to post in the General Forums. If they joined only out of interest of the General Forums, there are plenty of other places on the web that are more specific.

I suppose other than that, there is no other way to stop this unless you ignore the posts in question. Keep in mind that the reaction is what they want from you. Unfortunately the more irrational and outlandish the more posts it will attract.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 PM

13,394 posts, read 42,219,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
That depends.

If a member has 0 posts in the State/City forums, that makes me wonder why they even joined the site in the first place. I have gotten carried away with the P&OC forum, but it is hard to keep your post count down here with all the BS you have to debunk.

That being said, members should have X number of posts in the State/City/World forums before being able to post in the General Forums. If they joined only out of interest of the General Forums, there are plenty of other places on the web that are more specific.

I suppose other than that, there is no other way to stop this unless you ignore the posts in question. Keep in mind that the reaction is what they want from you. Unfortunately the more irrational and outlandish the more posts it will attract.
Frankie pretty much speaks for me.
Sometimes I fall into the trap--and that is precisely what it is--of reacting to trollish, outlandish, ridiculous statements.
Much of the bigotry I read here, some bluntly obvious, some couched in pseudo-scientific drivel, would not look out of place in the Stormfront site.
To acknowledge it by replying is to give them just what they want, but so much of the time, when you see a poster with maybe 2 posts, who is already earning rep points, the urge to debunk is strong.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM

9,366 posts, read 23,600,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Who gets to decide?

Me, who thinks a lot of what's posted is nothing more than ultra (note that word-ultra) liberal tripe from people who feel that everything is offensive. Or the member who thinks I'm "full of angst" because I corrected some real incorrect statements on the role of FEMA during disasters?

Just ignore what you don't want to read and don't post a response.
The mods make these decisions every day.

A quick review of your posts shows that you have posted to state forums, automotive, you've commented on HOAs, fireplaces, odometer readings, gas taxes, literacy in America and politics.

I am not familiar with your political positions taken, but if you are ultra conservative, I doubt we would share many of the same views. But you haven't joined the forum and posted 100% propaganda on a single subject. If you check the posts of some of the newly registered members, you will see what I mean. 100% hate-based posts = a flamer.

My question doesn't just apply to the recent Hamas defenders, there are those on both sides that have cropped up. Both should be banned, IMO. And it doesn't apply to this one issue, either. I've seen this happen in race issues, gay rights issues- and again, both sides have been represented by these flame throwers. And in the past, posters that fall into the single-issue hate monger categaory HAVE been banned.

We all get heated when discussing issues in which we feel passionate about. I've been given time outs a couple times after not heeding warnings from mods. I am referring to those posters who get a login just to incite hate.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:43 PM

2,898 posts, read 3,081,549 times
There are about 12 posters on the far left who spew nothing but bigotry hatred and intolerance (I would LOVE to name names but might get in trouble)

There are about 12 posters on the far right that do the same as the far left too.

But if we say silence them then we are infringing on the 1st amendment, no matter how much their vile views grate on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.