U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 8,403,274 times
Reputation: 7193

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
This is a really tricky issue. I am an able-bodied person whose awareness and consciousness of those with physical challenges has increased exponentially in recent years, and I must concur with Tightwad and eyewrist that this group is routinely marginalized and expected to ask for what most of us take for granted in the vast majority of situations.

I work to help put on a major annual convention, and several years ago, one of the other committee members spearheaded a new department called Access, solely and specifically for the purpose of making the convention as accessible as possible to those with disabilities. Now, understand, this convention is one with a long and proud heritage of welcoming and supporting the marginalized and the disenfranchised - and you would not believe the amount of pushback the new Access Department head got from longtime committee members who ought to have known better. There were some bitter disputes among the committee at times, and a few folks even quit over it, which astounded me. But in the long run, Access and the rights of the physically disabled became one of the core values of the convention, and we are now known for being one of the most disability-friendly conventions around.

The fight for equal rights for the physically challenged is an ongoing one. Yes, in an online environment like this one, we all "appear" equally abled, but the reality is that even in the 21st century, there are huge numbers of intelligent, valuable and wonderful people who have been shunted off to the sidelines because of their physical challenges. Is it so very much to ask that we give them their own forum in which to discuss the issues that pertain uniquely to them?

I realize that it's not up for a vote, but I would like to go on record as being an able-bodied member of CD who wholeheartedly supports this request for a forum devoted to those with physical challenges and disabilities. And I can virtually guarantee you that if such a forum ever appears on CD, the moderators and Administrator will be absolutely astounded by both the level of participation and by the passion of those participants.
Thank you for your most eloquent post as viewed by a fully able bodied person. Just look as the "push back" we're getting here for a simple request. Hell, it they can talk about cars,gardening, photography etc. why can't there be a forum to let the "Physically Challenged" have a place of their own to discuss issues important only to them?

I'm somewhat suprised and dismayed at the marginalization that has been posted so far in this thread.

 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM
 
385 posts, read 479,366 times
Reputation: 628
This could be an interesting topic. I met a gentleman this past weekend that was blind. He was also very independent...he actually said to me that he didn't like "hanging around blind people because they complain to much".

It's a long story, but the bottom line was, that as I spoke to this man, I could not help but think of all the times I myself complain when "having a bad day". He yet, lives in total darkness, and lets very little stand in his way...his attitude was incredible...I could see that he got occasionally flustrated...but never vocalized his feelings.....and never quit.

I was impressed....yes he had a disability....but I have to wonder, who has the bigger disability...the physically challenged or us that really don't have a clue what a hard day really is.....just a thought !
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton
9,342 posts, read 16,463,423 times
Reputation: 9038
It seems that new forums are started based upon the number of threads started on a particular subject. IE- NO Tallahssee/Panhandle forum in Florida

I've seen a number of new forums spring up over the past couple of years, but not just because they were a good idea (which I think yours is), but because the numbers showed that there was a demand for a separate forum. I think that posting threads in health & wellness is the way to go. Folks Googling certain disabilites will get CD hits and find their way here.
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 8,403,274 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Are there any existing sites like this? I just googled and didn't find any.
What better reason to offer a sub forum on CD? The " physically challenged" are growing (baby boomers remember?) part of our population that sooner or later will demand a greater voice on the net.
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,519 posts, read 1,775,611 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
No, sorry I disagree that a thread will be appropriate in this case. Any thread in existing forum would invite those that follow the darker side of comments that so often plagues the less abled and handicapped due to the anonymity of the internet. A sub forum would make it plain that that forum was intended to discuss issues important to the "Physically Challenged" .

Unless you are Physically Challenged then it's really hard to understand the lack of understanding by the public at large in our day to day lives. Just remember gov't had to pass laws to accommodate the the "Physically Challenged" because the public wouldn't do so on their own.
Tightwad is right. We who have no disability never think about things such as...
1. Having to schedule a ride to the grocery store 24 hours in advance so you can get there. Needing help carrying those bags too.
2. Waiting for your caregiver to get you up in the morning, fix your breakfast, shave you, brush your teeth, etc. Oh no, the caregiver is sick today now what do I do?
3. Looking for a safe apartment that is w/c acessible, bathroom accessible, doorway accessible, parking accessible.
4. Where can I get low cost equipment because I am on a fix income.
5. What are my rights because I am not sure what all of them are?
6. One of the caregiver stole $50 from me, what is me recourse?
7. Where can I get good OP care in my area? Which home care service is better for caring for my condition?
8. Where can I get or train my dog to be a companion dog?
9. What local services are out there that I don't know about?

Now do you see what he/she is talking about? "We" don't have to deal with these issues.............yet but our day or our parents'day is coming...quickly. A forum is needed.
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 PM
 
3,047 posts, read 4,822,510 times
Reputation: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What better reason to offer a sub forum on CD? The " physically challenged" are growing (baby boomers remember?) part of our population that sooner or later will demand a greater voice on the net.
That's why I asked.
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,519 posts, read 1,775,611 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
This is a really tricky issue. I am an able-bodied person whose awareness and consciousness of those with physical challenges has increased exponentially in recent years, and I must concur with Tightwad and eyewrist that this group is routinely marginalized and expected to ask for what most of us take for granted in the vast majority of situations.

I work to help put on a major annual convention, and several years ago, one of the other committee members spearheaded a new department called Access, solely and specifically for the purpose of making the convention as accessible as possible to those with disabilities. Now, understand, this convention is one with a long and proud heritage of welcoming and supporting the marginalized and the disenfranchised - and you would not believe the amount of pushback the new Access Department head got from longtime committee members who ought to have known better. There were some bitter disputes among the committee at times, and a few folks even quit over it, which astounded me. But in the long run, Access and the rights of the physically disabled became one of the core values of the convention, and we are now known for being one of the most disability-friendly conventions around.

The fight for equal rights for the physically challenged is an ongoing one. Yes, in an online environment like this one, we all "appear" equally abled, but the reality is that even in the 21st century, there are huge numbers of intelligent, valuable and wonderful people who have been shunted off to the sidelines because of their physical challenges. Is it so very much to ask that we give them their own forum in which to discuss the issues that pertain uniquely to them?

I realize that it's not up for a vote, but I would like to go on record as being an able-bodied member of CD who wholeheartedly supports this request for a forum devoted to those with physical challenges and disabilities. And I can virtually guarantee you that if such a forum ever appears on CD, the moderators and Administrator will be absolutely astounded by both the level of participation and by the passion of those participants.
Yes... they... would MBW
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:18 PM
 
5,685 posts, read 5,585,524 times
Reputation: 43484
RE: FAUVE's quote Are there any existing sites like this? I just googled and didn't find any.

You're likely right; I don't expect that there are a great many fora specifically for this topic. Able-bodieds don't tend to think of this segment of the population, so they get excluded from many general-interest sites such as this one.

That doesn't mean that there is not considerable lively conversation on the many aspects of disability. A quick browse through the blog of one friend found the following links (apologies if it is against the rules to post such things here, but you did ask):

Disability Studies Quarterly | Society for Disability Studies (http://www.disstudies.org/DSQ - broken link)

186,880 Hoursā€¦ and Counting « A WheelchairJunkie.com Production

ADAPT - Home Page

50 Years in a Wheelchair Gives Author No Time for Pity

There are blogs:
Alas, a blog » Blog Archive » On Making Argument: Disability and Language, by Wheelchair Dancer

Official Shrub.com Blog » Blog Archive » Feminists are fine with being bigots if it’s just ableism

Inside the Little Plastic Castle - Ugh, Another Airline Powerchair Horror Story

As I said earlier, people with physical challenges are articulate, intelligent and passionate, and they have been marginalized for decades. I predict that if CD were to provide a platform for discussion specifically by this group, it would attract considerable participation. And it wouldn't do CD any harm at all to become known among that segment of the population as being a welcoming place for the disabled.
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 9,548,757 times
Reputation: 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Thank you for your most eloquent post as viewed by a fully able bodied person. Just look as the "push back" we're getting here for a simple request. Hell, it they can talk about cars,gardening, photography etc. why can't there be a forum to let the "Physically Challenged" have a place of their own to discuss issues important only to them?

I'm somewhat suprised and dismayed at the marginalization that has been posted so far in this thread.
"Marginalization"? "Push back"? Nothing of the kind. I've simply pointed out the way new forums are created here, and it's not done based on the request of one (or even a handful) of members. There's a procedure that's followed, and my suggestion to you was to follow that procedure (e.g., prove that there's enough interest by starting threads and having other members respond to them).

And I stand by my statement that having a stand-alone forum doesn't limit posting ability, so even if it's a "a place of their own to discuss issues important only to them," there's still the very real likelihood that non-disabled members will post there -- because C-D is open to EVERYONE.
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM
 
3,047 posts, read 4,822,510 times
Reputation: 860
Quote:
(apologies if it is against the rules to post such things here, but you did ask)
You're allowed to post links of places that don't directly compete with CD - in this case, as has been established, not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top