U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,832 times

Advertisements

What if for example a large sum of money has fallen into the "heirs" of the family? Will a name change suffice for the child to benefit or does he need to be adopted legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 05:13 AM

9,110 posts, read 17,047,857 times
Adoption would be need to change the status, If only a name change was needed anyone could change there name to claim it.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,444,631 times
I'm not a lawyer but I would assume the child have ot be adopted legally and even then its questionable. Maybe there's a lawyer on here that can answer.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:23 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,571,275 times
If you could just change your name. I would change my last name to Hilton.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,989,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namechangeadoption View Post
What if for example a large sum of money has fallen into the "heirs" of the family? Will a name change suffice for the child to benefit or does he need to be adopted legally?
Legal adoption. A name change doesn't do anything legally but change a name.

Anyone can be written out of a Will, but having a legal relationship (via birth and adoption) provides a person the opportunity to contest the Will if excluded.

A person who simply has the same name due to name change has no legal rights. Money can be left to them in a Will, but other family members could contest it.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
If you could just change your name. I would change my last name to Hilton.
Funny! Everyone would be Hiltons, Rockafellers, or Gates! Good point!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,455,292 times
However, if that person is a child of that person, DNA is all that is required, no matter what name that person has..

To me, adoption does not necessarily make that person legally entitled, that would depend on the benefactor.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
However, if that person is a child of that person, DNA is all that is required, no matter what name that person has..
Good point! Illigitimate children are treated the same as children from marriage,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
To me, adoption does not necessarily make that person legally entitled, that would depend on the benefactor.
Most state laws treat adopted children with the same rights as biological children for inheritance from adoptive parents and even biological relatives of the adoptive parents.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,646,101 times
Actually, Oklahoma treats adopted children better than birthed children. In Oklahoma you CANNOT disinherit an adopted child. I don't know the why's but my mother was checking into it because we have a "sister" that is actually a cousin. My parents have raised her since she was 2 or so. They were considering formal adoption and decided to hold off for the time being. She was never told they were thinking about this (she was about 10 at the time) but they are REALLY happy they didn't pursue this... Mainly because they were afraid her birth parents would come out of the woodwork and cause problems. It is one thing to allow a family member to raise a child, quite another to "Formally adopt them" for some reason. Personally, I don't see much of a difference.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,832 times
Thanks for the responses guys. We may be getting something (financially) soon and I don't want my step-daughter (whom I've raised since she was 5) to be left out while my biological kids benefit. She will soon turn 20.... so it would be adult adoption. Do you guys know if the biological Father still need to be contacted by the system even though she is an adult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or