U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,446,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Our Korean adopted daughter turns 27 years old today. Every year we look up to the stars and whisper a prayer that her birth family so many miles away will somehow know she is having a beautiful life and that they made the best choice for her.

We have 2 other adopted daughters I have started this birthday tradition with. We did not want to celebrate 2 special days, birthdays and adoption days.

I'm wondering what other adoptive families do to celebrate special days like we do.

I don't have any adopted children. I just wanted to say that I think what you do is very special. She is lucky to have you. By the way has she ever asked to find her biological parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,574,205 times
Usually in Asian adoptions, it is next to impossible to find birth parents. For all 3 of our adoptions, false names and address were given to authorities. That fact hasn't seem to bother any of them.

We often talked about the beauty of the randomness of our getting together as Mother and daughter. Or was it random?

Sometimes we would kid about all the other possibilities her life could have taken . When she was young I tried to get her to help me in the garden but she was very squimish about bugs, etc so she flat out refused or groused the whole time if I forced her. Then I would say to her " Listen, you've got it easy here. You could be getting up at 4 a.m. on snowy days to milk cows in Wisconsin." She would double over in laughter.

Our youngest girls don't talk about their adoption at all. I sometimes mention it casually or sit them down to ask if they have any questions but neither one has shown any interest. I think having an older doting Asian sister might be one reason. When they are ready we will share what we know but it isn't much. They know who their real parents are.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,596,155 times
i'm adopted from russia. i'm 20 now. my biological mother was 16 when she had me. my birth name is really long, even for russian standards.

we celebrate the birthday written on my birth certificate, which is actually a guess. we don't celebrate my adoption day, in fact i don't even know what day it is except that it was sometime in may. i do hope that my biological mother knows in her heart that she made the best choice for me.

my parents tell me a lot of stories of what i was like as a kid. lol. they told me the first time i went in a car and a plane i was just freaking out with excitement, lol. they also tell me how the only thing i would eat was not bread and butter, but just the butter off the bread. the bread was just there so i had something to lick the butter off of. to this day i still eat some bread with my butter (though i actually do eat the bread too), wink.

my wife and i plan on adopting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or