U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,657,427 times

Advertisements

I think there is a myth in the United States among people unfamiliar with adoption that there are thousands of AA infants waiting for adoption. This isn't the case, infants are quickly adopted. The children available for adoption in the US are usually older and many have spent years in the foster system.

We adopted internationally because we wanted to raise our children from infancy and weren't interested in the "being chosen" aspect of domestic infant adoption as well as many of the issues in the earlier posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM

4,277 posts, read 5,158,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I think there is a myth in the United States among people unfamiliar with adoption that there are thousands of AA infants waiting for adoption. This isn't the case, infants are quickly adopted. The children available for adoption in the US are usually older and many have spent years in the foster system.

We adopted internationally because we wanted to raise our children from infancy and weren't interested in the "being chosen" aspect of domestic infant adoption as well as many of the issues in the earlier posts.
Yes to all of this. Even here, where there are a lot of foster kids, most of the kids available for adoption are over ten. If they are younger, they are either part of a sibling group of at least three or have very severe special needs.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

3,307 posts, read 3,871,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
There are thousands of orphans in America. Many of them are African American who are in need of a stable home to live in. Why is it that if a white family who chooses to adopt a minority, they often go with orphans from other continents, mainly orphans in Africa.

I do not understand so may someone enlighten me.
In the overall scheme of things I think it is great. Sure, we have kids that could be adapted right here. However, those kids in Africa are in much worse shape than our kids here. From this angle I have no problem with white couples adapting kids from another country, take care.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,992,537 times
As the adoptive mom of 2 girls from China, I completely agree and can attest to the fact that Domestic adoptions are difficult, timely & more often than not, they end in heartache for all involved.
Too many risks with biological parents "changing their minds",etc....

Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,322,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many adoption agencies will not place black children with white families.
When I first checked into adopting I was told categorically I could only be placed with a white child. (This despite the fact that my children are Hispanic.) I pointed out that, being female, I could go out and find some lovely black or Asian man and create a biracial child, so why wouldn't they allow me to adopt one-- whereupon they looked at me like I had two heads, agreed to broaden the options to white or Hispanic, and that was the end of the discussion as far as they were concerned.

The girl I tried to adopt was reunited with her birth parents at the last moment, and the adoption fell through. I can understand why people would be unwilling to chance that.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,569,021 times
I have nothing against multiracial adoption, but I feel the parents have an obligation to expose that child to their own heritage, history, and culture.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM

19,020 posts, read 25,496,299 times
Why not adopt millions of poor white baby orphans?? What is their need to be the African black baby's saviour?? This white man's burden quest is just ridiculous, and well into the 21st century. It's simply the most fashionable thing to do. Makes them progressive champs in their uppity circles I bet

Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,689,127 times
A child is a child no matter their birthplace. They all need a home.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:24 PM

18,591 posts, read 23,151,009 times
I have two wonderful kids - the eldest is my biological son and the younger was adopted form Korea.
We intend to adopt at least two more children (not infants) and the adoption will be international.

For the most part, people who adopt do so because they are not able to build their families biologically. That is not to say that adoption is second best IN ANY WAY, But most people marry and then decide to have children, For most people it happens that way, but for other's the pathway to parenthood is more circuitous. That was our case.

With the help of infertility treatments I had my son, after 7 years of marriage.
We did not want to go through that again so we looked into adoption.
We did not care about the race of the child, but we did not want to upset the birth order. Since our son was only two at the time, we would have had to find a domestically born infant.

Our first stop was social services. We attended a meeting and we were told point blank that there were no children available in this age group.

We also did not have this ultra patriotic feeling that we were somehow obligated to adopt domestically. As Magritte wrote "a child is a child now matter their birthplace. They all need homes"

If we adopted internationally, we would be assured that the child was free for adoption and could not be taken back. We also wanted a closed adoption. We did not want the birth mother in our lives, and we were not interested in maintaining contact with siblings or grandparents.
We wanted to adopt a CHILD not an entire family.
Some people did judge us for wanting to have what all biological parents take for granted, the ability to raise a child with out the threat of reunions with birth mothers, siblings, or other strange (at least to us) family members. We wanted our own nuclear family.

So our daughter was born in Korea and my two children could not be closer had they been twins.

As far as white people adopting African (instead of African American Children) what I wrote earlier is true of Africa as well. these adoptions are irrecoverable. There is no need for continued contact with the birth mom.
There are other reasons. The official stance of the Association of Black Social Workers is against white people adopting AA children. The actually call it "cultural genocide"
While I am sure that some black social workers do not feel this way, many do.

Another reason why adoptive parents may choose to adopt from Africa is cost. Some of the least expensive programs to adopt internationally can be found in Africa. (Least expensive does not mean free - nothing pertaining to international adoption is inexpensive)

Another inexpensive pace from which to adopt is Ukraine. I happen to be involved with a program where families can host school age orphaned school aged orphaned children so I know quite a bit about Ukraine.
While Ukraine is not expensive in world of international adoption, the government of Ukraine does not permit foreigners to adopt infants. Children are put on the international data base of adoptable children at 18 months and for some adoptive parents that is too old. They are first offered to Ukrainian citizens, and if no one decides to adopt them, they are then free to be adopted internationally.

So here are a few reasons why Africa might be appealing to Americans seeking to adopt an infant from Africa. Hope that this helps!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,632,571 times
There are many issues with African Americans, about Caucasians adopting black children. Also, unfortunately, many of the black children for adoption here have issues with being drug babies, and that leads to problems later on. The foster care system here is all about "re-unification" rather than what is best for kids...if they changed their policies, maybe more black children would be adopted. But by the time they are, they are so messed up...it is more like "special needs adoption" unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or