Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think children need to know they are adopted at a relatively young age, not in the 20's. That doesn't mean that all adoption should be really open. Like everywhere in life there are people that are toxic. If a birthmother or birthfather makes life more difficult for the adopted child or that family then it shouldn't happen. Only the adoptive parents and child (if old enough) can judge whether an truly open adoption will work for them. In our case I speak with my daughter's birthmother by phone a couple of times a year and send photos 2-3 times a year plus we email now and then. I have no contact with the birthfather at all. I am comfortable with this situation, but there could be circumstances in the future that I may not feel that way. If there was drug/alcohol abuse, or I felt threatened in any way I would not want any contact.
Telling a child they're adopted doesn't mean having to expose them to toxic people. My parents told me from day 1 that I was adopted. They also told me from day 1 that they love just as much as if I were biological. I am glad for their openness and honesty. I would have been really angry at them if I had found out just now, at 22, that I'm adopted. Not because there's anything wrong with being adopted--but because they would have lied to me and added all kinds of stigma and shame to adoption. I don't think there is any shame in adoption--in fact I think it's something people should be proud of. So I don't understand the need to keep that a secret. As long as you are clear with your child that you love them just as much as you would a biological child, then there is no reason to keep that from them, IMO.

Quote:
I do think there are many ignorant people out there that assume when they hear a child is adopted that they were not loved or wanted by their birthmother and that is not necessarily the truth. They also assume it was a one-night stand or she was a drug dealer or user etc. Each situation is different. I have heard of very intelligent healthy and clean young girls that place because they want to finish college and had an unplanned pregnancy. There is a lot of ignorance regarding adoption. I have had a few people make comments like "I could NEVER give my baby up for adoption". Well ok fine, but if there were not women out there that did (for whatever reason) then people like myself would not have our child/children.
I believe my birthmother gave me up because she loved me and she wanted better for me than she could give.

I also think this is one of those things where you can't ever know what you would do till it happens to you. It's easy to say you would never have an abortion, or never give your child up for adoption, or never put your child in the foster care system, etc., but it actually happening to you is completely different. I reserve my judgment because I don't know what it's like to be in that situation. It's not my place to judge or preach, and I do believe that birthmothers sincerely try to make what they feel is the best decision, no matter what that decision.

It's a very hard decision to make--it seems like no matter what decision a birthmother comes up with, someone else is going to find a problem with it. If she keeps the baby: "You're not ready to be a mother!" If she aborts a pregnancy: "You're a murderer!" If she gives the baby up for adoption: "You didn't love the baby enough!" Etc. Really, all of those are judgments that can only be flung around by someone who inherently doesn't know what it feels like to be in that situation. Birthmothers are human beings, just like anyone else, put into a really tough situation. We all have to make decisions sometimes that we wish we didn't have to make, but it's a part of life, and none of us has the right to judge others for the decisions they make. We can only judge ourselves, because there will always be parts of the story we are missing when it comes to other people, that will make our judgments inaccurate and unfair. I truly believe that with other people, the only thing we can do is offer compassion and be grateful that we don't have make such a tough decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
We also have easy access in case there is a medical emergency. There have been a few times I called up my daughter's birth mom to ask about allergies and other medical issues. It was VERY helpful to know that her other children also got very high fevers when they were young, and that she was allergic to strawberries. Plus god forbid my daughter needs a kidney or a matching donor, I know how to get in touch with them.
That's great! Every time I fill out medical forms, I have to write "adopted" across the whole genetic history page. Doctors hate having to see that cause it leaves so much information out! I will never know if I have a predisposition to heart disease or breast cancer or to what degree my eye problems are genetic without doing expensive in-depth DNA testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption