Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,072,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Being in this country illegally isn't a crime. What the mother was convicted of and sentenced to prison for was aggravated identity theft, most likely using someone else's social security card so that she could get a job. However, according to the article, the Supreme Court has since decided that aggravated identity theft can not be used in cases like this.
Last time I checked, the word "illegally" means a crime was committed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,498,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Last time I checked, the word "illegally" means a crime was committed.
Then you haven't checked well enough. "Illegal" just means that it's against the law. There are plenty of things that are illegal but aren't a crime. For instance, it's illegal to run a red light but it's not a crime. It's illegal to build a house without a permit but it's not a crime. Being in the US illegally is not a crime either. It's a violation of immigration law which is a civil offense. Not a criminal offense.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,072,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Then you haven't checked well enough. "Illegal" just means that it's against the law. There are plenty of things that are illegal but aren't a crime. For instance, it's illegal to run a red light but it's not a crime. It's illegal to build a house without a permit but it's not a crime. Being in the US illegally is not a crime either. It's a violation of immigration law which is a civil offense. Not a criminal offense.
You're really going to play that game? Whatever. I have better things to do with my time. The better things include you know working toward being able to adopt the children we want to adopt in order to give them a shot at life.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,498,555 times
How is stating facts playing a game? I think you just don't want to admit you're wrong.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM

603 posts, read 944,421 times
Here is yet another case regarding an adopted Guatemalan child.

US tells Guatemala it will not return adopted girl | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes i guess that means all poor parents should just put their children up for adoption then :roll eyes:.
Has anyone said that poverty parents should not have kids or should put them all up for adoption? I think you are missing the point, maybe you are somehow personally affected by this, but regardless, in this case it is not the poverty part, it is the danges of adoption internationally. I am not oppossed to international adopted. I know many that have ended up with everyone living happily ever after.This is one that may not end up that way....This doesn't have anything to do with whether poor people should raise or can raise kids to become good citizens and happy, well adjusted adults. I will add, this isn't really about an international adoption, it is more about legal immigration and whether she could even take him back to her home country. If he was born in America and is an American citizen what would happen then? There is no right or wrong answer to this story. We had one, similar when we lived in NM> In that case the little girl was returned to her biological mother...My heart goes out to everyone, especially the child.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-03-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Well, I agree with you here but as you see from some responses on this board and just how the media will portray things, the sympathy vote will always go to this "poor" woman who has had her child stripped away from her by the courts. Doesn't really matter how happy and thriving the child may be now in his home with his adoptive parents---this poor single (and now pregnant) lady is pining away for her child.

Now if she truly did opt for a long deportation fight in courts and made the conscious choice to place this child in foster homes until she could get out of jail, screw her. My sympathy lies completely with the adoptive parents who will provide this child a "better" life. As I said before though, I'm sure the courts will rule in her favor and this child will be taken away from his parents and off he goes to live with his "real" mother.
She IS a poor woman, who had her child STOLEN away from her by the courts, that should NEVER have been done....she deserves to have HER child returned to her, and she should be compensated royally, then she wouldn't be the "poor" mother anymore, and maybe then she wouldn't face the discrimination of having a child STOLEN from her, and then having to fight to get him (rightfully) returned to her.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
She IS a poor woman, who had her child STOLEN away from her by the courts, that should NEVER have been done....she deserves to have HER child returned to her, and she should be compensated royally, then she wouldn't be the "poor" mother anymore, and maybe then she wouldn't face the discrimination of having a child STOLEN from her, and then having to fight to get him (rightfully) returned to her.
so now we owe her money and this will make everything alright. She will no longer be poor, what do you consider enough money to keep her from being a poor woman? There is no right or wrong answer to some of these problems; think of the adoptive parents and of the child, not just the Poor mommy!!! Poor mommies and daddies need to consider the consequences when they decide to come here illegally.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-30-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
It'll sure make things better!!!...this woman did not give her children away,..think of the MOMMY...and there IS a right answer to this "problem"...it goes...Don't steal someone else children, and think you can get away with it"...the courts are to blame for this adoptive couples anguish, not the real mom, and the poor little boy will pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption