Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is one of those situations where you had to be there to appreciate the line. Additionally as an adoptive parent maybe my ears are on differently as I tend to hear adoption "jokes" in a less than funny way.

It is just a protective device honed after all these years, like throwing my right arm across the passenger seat when I brake suddenly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Maybe this is one of those situations where you had to be there to appreciate the line. Additionally as an adoptive parent maybe my ears are on differently as I tend to hear adoption "jokes" in a less than funny way.

It is just a protective device honed after all these years, like throwing my right arm across the passenger seat when I brake suddenly.
Makes sense, we all get a bit protective of the things we perceive can hurt our children. Personally, I think comics are an overall, great way for adopted children to understand how natural and downright awesome adoption is.

I dug into my nerd memories and dug up a few more of the famous superheroes who were adopted, Spiderman (can't believe I forgot him), Batman (sort of), a couple of the X-men including Rogue (female, adopted and best powers ever). I am sure there are many, many more.

Oh, and btw, the character Loki, one of the top ten best villians of all time. Undergoes a major character shift and eventually becomes a hero. Partly by dealing with his feelings about his birth family and accepting that his birth family does love him completely.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
If you follow the link in the post, an overwhelming majority of people were not offended. If you follow that link to the Facebook page, there are multiple posts by adopted people that basically say "lighten up!" My friend [adopted] would agree.

In the movie, Thor is attempting to distance himself from his brother. He uses the adoption line to say that he and Loki are different people who are not blood related. Loki is not evil because he is adopted.

I am not an avid comic book reader but my understanding is that the majority of adopted comic book characters are good. Some are evil.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM

I would guess parents of adopted children are more sensitive to this sort of remark than the kids themselves. Don't know if my kids have had negative remarks addressed to them about being adopted. If they did they probably didn't tell me cause they know I would rip out the throat of the offender.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

Makes sense. You have your Mama cape on.

Thought of another adopted hero: Po from Kung Fu Panda.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM

50 posts, read 86,044 times
I've watched the movie 3 times already since it was release! First on opening day, then that Sun, and again yesterday. I laughed every time I heard that line, and it got a big response from the audience as well.

By no means do I think it implies that being adopted is bad. It was just to say that Thor and Loki are of different origins, not that he was bad because he was adopted. I think people need to lighten up. It's more offensive to see people promoting stuff like racism.

I'd go see the movie again with another friend if they wanted to!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
In the context it's not offensive in the least. People who get offended this easy are ruining the world. I seriously don't know when we all got so wussy.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
I have not and will not see this movie. I am sensitive to any kind of "humor" which makes fun of something or someone different. I can only imagine how an adopted child would feel watching this and hearing his friends laughing at it. I know some think we have gone too far in political correctness but children especially are sensitive to things like this and should not be made to feel uncomfortable.

In this particular situation it is like saying he is a killer because he is adopted. or because he is adopted he is to be excused for being a killer. either way i don't like it.
Ok Momma, pull back the claws!

It's not meant to be offensive the way you are thinking, honestly.

Especially considering that an overwhelming number of superheros are in fact adopted, or raised by people other than their parents.

Someone cited Superman and Batman (well Robin for sure!), but Spiderman was raised by his Aunt May; Sue Storm had to take care of her brother after her Mom died in a car wreck and her Dad went to prison for it, Tony Stark's (Iron Man) parents died in a plane crash when he was a teen, The Thing's parents and brother died and he was raised by his Aunt and Uncle, Captain America's parents died and left him an orphan, Hawkeyes parents were killed in a car crash leaving him to be raised at an orphanage, Black Widow's parents were killed in a fire and she was raised by a family friend, Professor X's parents died and he was raised by a step parent, Cyclops' parents died in a plane crash leaving him a ward of the state, Storm's parents died in the Suez Crisis leaving her an orphan, and Gambit was kidnapped and raised by a theives guild JUST to name a few. And those are only in the Marvel Comic world! Not talking about Dc or the countless smaller comic houses, lol!

Since I am adopted myself, I think I can comment on this; it's not offensive, it's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Given the ridiculous number of adopted superHEROS (you know like SUPERMAN) I think it is more than a little silly to pretend the overall message of comics is that adoption is negative.

If anything the fact that both good, bad and in between characters are adopted in comics it seems to make it a very diverse and accepted family style.
Exactly!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
I have not and will not see this movie. I am sensitive to any kind of "humor" which makes fun of something or someone different. I can only imagine how an adopted child would feel watching this and hearing his friends laughing at it. I know some think we have gone too far in political correctness but children especially are sensitive to things like this and should not be made to feel uncomfortable.

In this particular situation it is like saying he is a killer because he is adopted. or because he is adopted he is to be excused for being a killer. either way i don't like it.

That's really not what the line is saying at all. It's also not saying that Thor and Loki are different. Thor is saying people need to be careful how they refer to Loki because Loki is his brother. The reply is that Loki killed people. Thor looks uncomfortable and responds "he's adopted". The implication is actually that Thor is distancing himself from Loki. He goes from supporting him in one line (he's my brother) to denying a connection (he's adopted) in the next.

There's nothing there that implies Loki killed BECAUSE he was adopted. On the other hand, Thor is basically used Loki being adopted to deny their family connection, which is....yeah, not very nice. It's said a joke even by the characters, and it's a very Whedon joke in general.

There's also the back story to consider, in that Loki himself had issues with being adopted because of the circumstances. It's hardly a typical 'adoption' story, as he was adopted originally as a political tool. So Loki and Thor both have rather complex feelings about adoption...Loki is not just adopted, but an entirely different race of being from his brother. A race that Thor's people has been a war with. And the adoption and the fact that it was hidden from him resulted in some tragic events. So from that lens, I could see Thor saying something like that jokingly, but with a bit of a kernel of truth behind it from his POV.

Not that I think Whedon was thinking of it all that deeply.

I did find the line uncomfortable, but I think it could be an in character thing to say. On the other hand, the movie would have been just fine without it, and it's not like such themes were explored more deeply later.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 AM

I certainly got a primer on comic book characters. I actually don't remember ever reading any comic books although I did read a few comics in the papers. Guess there is a whole other world out there. Is this what Comicom is all about. It's often mentioned on Big Bang Theory.
Is it ok to hijack your own thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption