U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 PM
 
12,872 posts, read 19,602,588 times
Reputation: 33728

Advertisements

Today's ruling:

US judge: Woman who sent back Russian boy must pay *| ajc.com

The shock here is that the ruling came from a US judge, which will have major implications for anybody looking to adopt overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,415 posts, read 41,199,328 times
Reputation: 46927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Today's ruling:

US judge: Woman who sent back Russian boy must pay *| ajc.com

The shock here is that the ruling came from a US judge, which will have major implications for anybody looking to adopt overseas.
I disagree. I posted this in my thread Failed Adoption; Joyce Maynard.
When adoption fails- Joyce Maynard
She adopted her child, didn't want the child anymore, did not take advantage od many resources available to her for the child and then sent him back to Russia. I don't blame the judge for this action.

International adoptions aren't finalized for some time until after the child is in this country. She made a big mistake and I think anybody adopting from overseas will know they are responsible for finding legal solutions and not shipping the kid back to the country of origin.

I see this as a good thing and I have adopted internationally 3 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 PM
 
2,779 posts, read 4,461,759 times
Reputation: 5023
Our international adoptions were finalized overseas, my kids were US citizens the moment their plane touched down in the US. It depends on the country, IR3 visas vs. IR4 visas if I remember correctly.

Russian adoptions are also final as soon as the child lands in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
 
2,779 posts, read 4,461,759 times
Reputation: 5023
Here's the longwinded State Dept explanation of the visas.

Determining Orphan Classification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,415 posts, read 41,199,328 times
Reputation: 46927
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Our international adoptions were finalized overseas, my kids were US citizens the moment their plane touched down in the US. It depends on the country, IR3 visas vs. IR4 visas if I remember correctly.

Russian adoptions are also final as soon as the child lands in the US.
you mean you did not have to re adopt once you were in the US? We sure did have to for our Korean daughter and I have the cutest picture of her all dressed in red, white and blue becoming a citizen the same day we formally readopted her.
can't honestly remember what we had to do for our Vietnamese daughters. life has been a blur these past 10 years.

but regardless of when the adoption is final I'm sure you agree this mother did not go about it the right way by sending the kid back to Russia.

and if paying child support would keep anybody from adopting - overseas or otherwise-then they have no business doing it. you don't try kids on and there is no returning. However that does not mean some adoptions should not be interrupted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM
 
2,779 posts, read 4,461,759 times
Reputation: 5023
No we didn't have to readopt, we just received a certificate of citizenship in the mail a few weeks later and we were good.

I agree with you btw, the woman is crazy, there are lots of avenues for disruption and she didn't even talk to her social worker for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,332,945 times
Reputation: 22134
Were there signs that the child was disturbed before the child was adopted out? Did the orphanage provide a full disclosure?

I know a couple who I think should not have adopted because they had a too-idealized idea of what it would be like to take on an older child but also they were most likely intentionally not informed -- for one they were told the child was 12 but when they took him to a pediatrician, the pediatrician said more like 14 or 15. At first things seem great though but they would wake up and find him in their bedroom with a knife in his hands and began to fear him. The boy would talk about blood and murder and very likely there were serious problems and this couple was not equiped to deal with serious emotional issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2012, 01:40 PM
 
2,779 posts, read 4,461,759 times
Reputation: 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Were there signs that the child was disturbed before the child was adopted out? Did the orphanage provide a full disclosure?

I know a couple who I think should not have adopted because they had a too-idealized idea of what it would be like to take on an older child but also they were most likely intentionally not informed -- for one they were told the child was 12 but when they took him to a pediatrician, the pediatrician said more like 14 or 15. At first things seem great though but they would wake up and find him in their bedroom with a knife in his hands and began to fear him. The boy would talk about blood and murder and very likely there were serious problems and this couple was not equiped to deal with serious emotional issues.
There is absolutely no question that the woman in this case was unprepared to adopt this child. No the orphanage probably didn't fully disclose all of the information they may or may not have had. But in all honesty they probably just wanted to find the child a home. I visited an orphanage for older children in Central Asia where we adopted our kids, there were 300 kids and there were 2 caregivers on duty at a time, it was like Lord of the Flies, my guess is the caregivers didn't even know most of the kids' names, let alone their mental capabilities.

Yes, there is probably good reason that this adoption was disrupted. But that in no way excuses this woman from sticking a scared, damaged, child on a plane with a note. No excuse at all.

Just an aside, in adoption language we don't use the term "adopted out" any longer. I'm sure you didn't know that but I thought you might want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2012, 01:44 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,151,558 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Were there signs that the child was disturbed before the child was adopted out? Did the orphanage provide a full disclosure?

I know a couple who I think should not have adopted because they had a too-idealized idea of what it would be like to take on an older child but also they were most likely intentionally not informed -- for one they were told the child was 12 but when they took him to a pediatrician, the pediatrician said more like 14 or 15. At first things seem great though but they would wake up and find him in their bedroom with a knife in his hands and began to fear him. The boy would talk about blood and murder and very likely there were serious problems and this couple was not equiped to deal with serious emotional issues.
I'm adopted from Russia. My orphanage completely made up a bunch of stuff on my medical records. For example they said that I have Hepatitis C and I don't. I think it has to do with some law where the Russian government only allows sick children to be adopted out of the country, and only allows healthy children to be adopted into the country. So orphanages will fail to mention or make up illnesses to get a child adopted to the desired country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,151,558 times
Reputation: 12496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
There is absolutely no question that the woman in this case was unprepared to adopt this child. No the orphanage probably didn't fully disclose all of the information they may or may not have had. But in all honesty they probably just wanted to find the child a home. I visited an orphanage for older children in Central Asia where we adopted our kids, there were 300 kids and there were 2 caregivers on duty at a time, it was like Lord of the Flies, my guess is the caregivers didn't even know most of the kids' names, let alone their mental capabilities.

Yes, there is probably good reason that this adoption was disrupted. But that in no way excuses this woman from sticking a scared, damaged, child on a plane with a note. No excuse at all.

Just an aside, in adoption language we don't use the term "adopted out" any longer. I'm sure you didn't know that but I thought you might want to.
My orphanage had one caretaker to 140 children. The floor was an inch thick with sticky dirt. The caretaker didn't even know I was blind. But she did recognize me by name when I went back to visit 12 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top