Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 AM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Sned isn't the Russian word for snow. If the book actually says it is then you should take anything else it says with a grain of salt because that is very poor research, something that can be confirmed with just a bilingual dictionary.
Can you see Russia from your house? Just kidding. I read the same book. At the time it came out I didn't even own a Russian - English Dictionary. It was a book that people either loved or hated.

The little boy who the American couple adopted was left at the orphanage on a snowy night and a worker named his "The Russian Word for Snow".

It was an interesting book but the American parents seemed to resent Russia because it is not as efficient and fast as the US. They complain a lot.

What is the Russian word for snow? From all of my hosting, I once knew the word for Snow Man, but it escapes me. Don't worry I have no intention of naming any children after any form of precipitation.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:54 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,829,033 times
It's "sneg." "Sned" isn't even a word. It sounds like dubious story, that someone would choose the first name "Sneg" for even a very neglected child...it's like something out of absurdist fiction.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 AM

203 posts, read 255,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think it's healthy to have a new beginning. These were not loving mom's. I'll not go into it further. I do not want to co-parent in the shadow of another. You have the right not to like or understand this. I I have the right to adopt from as far away as possible and to renane my children.

I'm not going to debate this anymore. I would love to hear suggestions from anyone who is happy that at least two children will be out of an orphanage and in a loving home.

That should be everyone's main concern.

Many names were given randomly or carelessly. There are parents everywhere who do this. We are not them, and we believe naming is sacred experience.

I'm really not going to explain this to anyone again. In as much as I believe that the old name should be changed, I still support the adoption of any child. It's not my right to shame or berate another, nor is it anyone else's right to attempt to do that to me.
This entire thread is about the changing of a child's name as referenced in the subject line. The most recent comments made are focused on that topic. Others have offered suggestions and thoughts on the topic. Some have considered how the child might feel about having their name changed. Not sure how the topic of changing a child's name has anything to do with being happy that two children will be out of an orphanage and in a loving home. To suggest that those who offer a different perspective on changing a child's name also feel that children should not be in loving homes seems like deflection to me. And the topic of this thread is changing a child's name, not "do you feel that children should be in loving homes?"

Mods, have I missed something here? Is this a "support" site in which we are to agree with and support whatever it is that people post? Or are topics presented as "changing a child's name" open to actual discussion once presented in this public forum?

Sheena, you are free to do whatever you like. But I must admit to feeling a bit confused as to why you post these topics in a public forum when you clearly have certain expectations about how people should respond to you. I don't see a debate here. I see a discussion. And discussions often involve people with differing points of view. Seems to me that what you are looking for in this thread are people who will join in your excitement in renaming a child who already has a name. Again, if this is the case, just come out and say so. That way, those of us who are not as excited will not engage with you. Changing a child's name is not required to give him or her a loving home. So one has nothing to do with the other. No need to accuse people of not caring about children simply because they feel differently about your approach to renaming children who already have names.

Last edited by gcm7189; 09-29-2012 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:
Can you see Russia from your house? Just kidding. I read the same book. At the time it came out I didn't even own a Russian - English Dictionary. It was a book that people either loved or hated.

The little boy who the American couple adopted was left at the orphanage on a snowy night and a worker named his "The Russian Word for Snow".

It was an interesting book but the American parents seemed to resent Russia because it is not as efficient and fast as the US. They complain a lot.

What is the Russian word for snow? From all of my hosting, I once knew the word for Snow Man, but it escapes me. Don't worry I have no intention of naming any children after any form of precipitation.
Snow - снег - sneg (sounds like snyek)
Snowman - снеговик, снежная баба - snegovik, snezhnaya baba (where zh sounds like the s in closure)

Lol you sure you don't want to name your children Snegovik?

I did know a Russian girl once whose last name was based off the Russian word for snow.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:31 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,190,359 times
Maybe a separate thread should be made for people who want to discuss specific names & how to Westernize them for people who are not interested in discussing what this thread actually asks?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcm7189 View Post
Mods, have I missed something here? Is this a "support" site in which we are to agree with and support whatever it is that people post? Or are topics presented as "changing a child's name" open to actual discussion once presented in this public forum?
City-Data has something like 80 moderators who are responsible for different boards. I moderate this one. I prefer not to be called out in a thread as if I am supposed to pick sides.

This is an open forum. If you (general "you," not YOU-you) bring something up related to the topic, everybody can talk about it. If it's your own thread and you want to stop talking about it, I'll close it at your request. If you don't want to hear from particular people, start a blog or a usergroup and restrict who can reply to you.

If you bring something up that's off topic, a moderator can say, "OK, please quit talking about that now." A moderator can also decide that the dialog is getting too rude, hostile, petty, etc. For the most part, this is left up to the moderator of the board, and so different boards will have different degrees of tolerance. Some boards allow a lot of chat and bickering, while others are much more strict.

Yes, everyone is free to discuss the topic. Agree AND disagree. People are going to say things that you don't like. If someone particularly irritates you, add that person to your ignore list, or decide not to read or respond. That goes for everybody. You can disagree with people, they can disagree with you, and at some point someone will decide to let the last word go. If the back-and-forth drags on and stagnates, a moderator may close the thread so people can move on.

The flip side of allowing people to speak is allowing people to be silent. There's nothing in the Terms of Service saying that you have to respond to someone. Picking fights, flaming someone, being overly rude, baiting--those are in there. Please send me a DM with any further questions, and the thread can get back to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I'm curious as to whether you think it is appropriate to change a child's birthname. I'm referring to older kids, not babies.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM

203 posts, read 255,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
City-Data has something like 80 moderators who are responsible for different boards. I moderate this one. I prefer not to be called out in a thread as if I am supposed to pick sides.

This is an open forum. If you (general "you," not YOU-you) bring something up related to the topic, everybody can talk about it. If it's your own thread and you want to stop talking about it, I'll close it at your request. If you don't want to hear from particular people, start a blog or a usergroup and restrict who can reply to you.

If you bring something up that's off topic, a moderator can say, "OK, please quit talking about that now." A moderator can also decide that the dialog is getting too rude, hostile, petty, etc. For the most part, this is left up to the moderator of the board, and so different boards will have different degrees of tolerance. Some boards allow a lot of chat and bickering, while others are much more strict.

Yes, everyone is free to discuss the topic. Agree AND disagree. People are going to say things that you don't like. If someone particularly irritates you, add that person to your ignore list, or decide not to read or respond. That goes for everybody. You can disagree with people, they can disagree with you, and at some point someone will decide to let the last word go. If the back-and-forth drags on and stagnates, a moderator may close the thread so people can move on.

The flip side of allowing people to speak is allowing people to be silent. There's nothing in the Terms of Service saying that you have to respond to someone. Picking fights, flaming someone, being overly rude, baiting--those are in there. Please send me a DM with any further questions, and the thread can get back to the discussion.
My apologies JJ. It was not my intention to call you out or make you feel as though you were in the middle of anything. And I can see how I may have made you feel this way. If I have additional questions or need further clarification, I will ask off-board. Again, my apologies.

That said, thank you for providing this very helpful guidance. I will keep it in mind moving forward. The topic as stated in this thread seems open to various thoughts and points of view regarding the issue of changing the name of older children who already have a name.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: No change, just wanted to apologize if I sounded like I was scolding you.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
I think it's healthy to have a new beginning. These were not loving mom's. I'll not go into it further. I do not want to co-parent in the shadow of another. You have the right not to like or understand this. I I have the right to adopt from as far away as possible and to renane my children.

I'm not going to debate this anymore. I would love to hear suggestions from anyone who is happy that at least two children will be out of an orphanage and in a loving home.

That should be everyone's main concern.

Many names were given randomly or carelessly. There are parents everywhere who do this. We are not them, and we believe naming is sacred experience.

I'm really not going to explain this to anyone again. In as much as I believe that the old name should be changed, I still support the adoption of any child. It's not my right to shame or berate another, nor is it anyone else's right to attempt to do that to me.
Even children from abused homes usually love their parents and are frequently deeply conflicted about their families and all of the baggage that entails. The expectation that older children inherently want to leave behind EVERYTHING about their past is foolish bordering on dangerous.

And while you are entitled to your beliefs, and are even entitled to force those beliefs on your children, it seems ignorant to pretend that adopted children are just magical little slates you can wipe clean, rename, and expect to leave behind everything they have known (good and bad) without life long repercussions. So while they maybe grateful for a safe, secure home here in the US, it is just plain basic human psychology to still need to mourn for what was lost, even if much of that loss was negative.

Maybe you are prepared for dealing with that, but renaming these children is apparently all about what is convenient, and desired by YOU, with very little respect for their wished. You refuse to acknowledge that not only might they NOT want to change their name. It is also inherently unfair to put that sort of pressure on a child in an entirely new circumstance. "Hey Oleg, your life was horrible before you got here, we think you should change your name to ______. It is sacred to ME. You ok with that?" Some would call it emotional blackmail to force such a decision before the child has completely adjusted not just to their new family but their new country and society as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Julia I love your name by the way! Our unofficially adopted daughter in Ukraine ( we wanted to adopt her but we were prevented because she was 16 at the time) is Yulia - Russian for your name but likes Julia/ Julia.

Are these names traditional to you ( one woman's traditional is another woman's trendy)

Abigail, ( my fave) Amiee, Claire, Serena, and Christine?

For boys Ethan, Evan, Aaron, and Blake?

Cady was a nod to suffragist Elizabeth Cady - Cady Elizabeth.

Kyra and Anya are Eastern Euro names but are less grim and formal than Luydmilla, (Luda) or Igor.
I work with a Ludmila. She goes by Mila.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:44 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
Just a couple of thoughts in regard to Russian/Ukrainian names, not related to whether to change or alter names at all"

Olga Korbut pretty well knocked out the stereotype of her name as being heavy, stodgy, plain, etc. Of course, it's been a good while since she took the gold, but wow! How she changed women's gymnastics! Lots of little American girls suddenly became interested, and I can remember a little girl of about four telling me "I'm going to be an OLGA when I grow up!"

In regard to snow/sneg/snezh: there's also the somewhat old-fashioned "Snezhana", meaning "snow maiden". Nice choice for a girl with a winter birthday, perhaps, but very, very Russian on this side of The Pond. However - Americanized nicknames might include "Ana", "Hana", or "Zhana", pronounced much like "Jeanna", all of which which would serve nicely for everyday use, while retaining the formal "Snezhana" if the child loved her name. This is a name I would probably shorten or otherwise alter, either formally or informally, depending upon the child's attachment to it, as "Sneezy Anna" comes to mind as a likely way to tease a child bearing this name in an English speaking community.

I don't think we're dealing with a Snezhana, so this is probably not relevant to Sheena's situation, but just in case someone else out there discovers a "waiting child" with this name - food for thought, perhaps. By the way, does anyone know if there is a Russian-language nickname for Snezhana? "Snezhanka" sounds very odd to my American ears, as does "Snezhinka"...other takes may and probably do vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.