U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 2,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcm7189 View Post
I was fortunate to have found both of my natural parents without having to pay Catholic Charities (The charge for this "service" was $250 back in 1998; if my mother wanted nothing to do with me, the agency would keep my money and not tell me anything) or go through any sort of official channels.
Or maybe they wouldn't even have bothered to search for or contact her. Perhaps they would have just taken your money and told you she didn't want contact. There's nothing to stop any of the agencies from doing whatever they please. And they don't care whether or not we're reunited with our families--in fact, it serves them better when we're not because then all the dirt stays swept under the carpet.

The agency that facilitated my adoption--DePelchin in Houston--told me they "lost" my files.

When I finally got a heavily redacted file from the court that finalized my adoption, they offered to take that info and search for my mom--for the low, low price of $650 (no guarantees!). This, after charging her for medical expenses and her stay with them and then turning around and charging my adoptive parents the price of two station wagons for the baby she gave them.

I found her myself, without any of their "help." And after I did--and after I'd already received a copy of my OBC from the state--my DePelchin caseworker tried to insinuate I "might have the wrong name."

Isn't lying a sin? I'm not religious but I think remember something about that being on some big list of Official No-nos.

They all make me want to believe in hell.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,601,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I would like to respond to the birth certificate thing.

When I was younger, it mattered greatly that my birth certificate had all of my "biological parents'" information on it except their names. That is the only birth certificate I can get. I will never have access to the "real" one. The one I get IS considered the "original" one. It is not.

Fast forward to about 8 months ago. I applied for a government job. This is a high clearance government job that would require intense scrutiny in to my past. Every possible thing that you ever went through in your entire life is going to be gone over with a fine toothed comb.

I got to one section that I was unsure how to answer. I called the number and discussed it with someone. In the end, I had to put down that I was adopted, who the biological people were and everything I know about them BECAUSE my "original" birth certificate would NOT match the birth dates or information about my adopted parents.

If I had the original, the real original, this form would have been a whole lot easier to fill out. But now, to get this high clearance job, I had to detail every last bit of my personal life history the first four years of my life to explain WHY my original birth certificate would not match the ages of my parents.

This continues to affect me in my life and I'm sick and tired of the state of CA or any other state, for that matter, telling ME that I cannot have this information. I'm an adult. "It's to protect the biological parents". You know what? To hell with them and their protection. First of all, I know who they are. I know where they live. I know everything I want to know about them. Giving me this birth certificate with accurate information is for ME, not to "go after" or do anything to them...or whatever the hell the state of CA or SC thinks I want it for. LET ME HAVE MY ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE! This is ridiculous.
I've also heard that other people haven't been able to get passports because they aren't able to get their OBC. Someone else may know more about that and perhaps explain it better.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,601,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMusgrove View Post
Or maybe they wouldn't even have bothered to search for or contact her. Perhaps they would have just taken your money and told you she didn't want contact. There's nothing to stop any of the agencies from doing whatever they please. And they don't care whether or not we're reunited with our families--in fact, it serves them better when we're not because then all the dirt stays swept under the carpet.

The agency that facilitated my adoption--DePelchin in Houston--told me they "lost" my files.

When I finally got a heavily redacted file from the court that finalized my adoption, they offered to take that info and search for my mom--for the low, low price of $650 (no guarantees!). This, after charging her for medical expenses and her stay with them and then turning around and charging my adoptive parents the price of two station wagons for the baby she gave them.

I found her myself, without any of their "help." And after I did--and after I'd already received a copy of my OBC from the state--my DePelchin caseworker tried to insinuate I "might have the wrong name."

Isn't lying a sin? I'm not religious but I think remember something about that being on some big list of Official No-nos.

They all make me want to believe in hell.
It makes me so sad and mad reading all your stories.

For me to get my original birth certificate, I think it cost me about $15 and my information was free and very accurate. We Kiwis and Australians are pretty lucky when it comes to getting our information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption