Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,989 times

Advertisements

Why don't we matter? Why don't I matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsys View Post
Oh yes because it isn't about me.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 PM

203 posts, read 256,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsys View Post
It is very difficult feeling that we aren't worth the truth, isn't it?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM

125 posts, read 160,366 times
The government needs to stop treating us like babies. You deserve your OBC. We all do.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM

39 posts, read 33,258 times
It is ridiculous! Once again Australia is leading the way. We have had access to our OBC's since 1990 & society has not fallen. I don't get it.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM

125 posts, read 160,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keribus72 View Post
It is ridiculous! Once again Australia is leading the way. We have had access to our OBC's since 1990 & society has not fallen. I don't get it.
I wish that this would get more attention in the United States. This is true also in the UK, correct? The United States is pathetically ultra conservative and slow on this count. We have to keep trying! It was wonderful that Rhode Island passed new legislation last year. I am always hopeful. One state at a time.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 PM

39 posts, read 33,258 times
Yep, UK too.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 AM

116 posts, read 112,997 times
Actually, it has to be more than mere access. Don't forget, if it's just acces to "see" our OBC's, then that's all we'll get, maybe.

For those of us who have lived out entire lives under the falsified birth certificate fiasco, we need more than access. We need guarenteed, unconditional, certified and legal issue of our true birth certiticates upon request, just like non-adoptees. I say this because, even in the states that have allowed adoptees some type of access to OBC's, it's not real access. All these adoptees get is a photocopy with the wrods "Void", or "Not for Official Use", or "For Genealogical Purposes Only", stamped across the front. That's just as bad as in the old days with the word "Illegitimate" stamped in red letters across the front.

I demand the offical government raised seal and Registrar's signature on my true birth certificate.

And, I also demand that the government take back my lousy amended, falsified, legal piece of paper, stamp in big bold red letters "VOID" across the front, and immediately issue an Adoption Certifcate with the correct facts of the adoption, not a false birth.

I know about adoptees who are being adopted back by their natural parents. That is a fine choice for them. Me, I want to wear both: birth and adoption. Why? Because both happened. I don't want to undo my adoption as that would negate my relationship with my second set of parents. Just as I feel that sealing my real birth certificate, rendering it illegal and non-existant, I do not want to do that to my adoptive parents.

And this is the bind that adoptees are put in.

I am 56 years old and do not have the right to my own real birth certificate. But I know everythingthat happened. And I have all of my adoption papers that tell every little detail.

But America is tight-assed, conservative, biggotted and prejudiced against our families or origin.
fI'm in this til the day I die.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 5,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keribus72 View Post
Yep, UK too.
Adoptees in the UK have had access to their own birth and adoption records since 1975

Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
I have never been in your shoes, but I 100% agree that the original birth certificates should be available to adult adoptees.

Did Australia and the UK stop issuing altered certificates, or do they just make the originals available once the children have reached their majority?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption