U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 AM

116 posts, read 85,198 times

Advertisements

David Smolen just came out with this paper:

"Response to HCCH Discussion Paper on the" by David M. Smolin

Response to HCCH Discussion Paper on the Financial Aspects of Intercountry Adoption, with Special Application to the Situation of the United States

David M. Smolin, Cumberland Law School, Samford University

I thought we would like to discuss his paper here.

Last edited by kaykee; 10-07-2012 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Clearing formatting code
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,855,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykee View Post
David Smolen just came out with this paper:

"Response to HCCH Discussion Paper on the" by David M. Smolin

Response to HCCH Discussion Paper on the Financial Aspects of Intercountry Adoption, with Special Application to the Situation of the United States

David M. Smolin, Cumberland Law School, Samford University

I thought we would like to discuss his paper here.
I look forward to reading it. His papers are always very interesting. I have earmarked it to read tomorrow.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 AM

89 posts, read 101,648 times
I skimmed it. Wow. I love it when a professional is able to grasp and clearly state things.

I'm participating in a Toy Run today, I'll reread it and comment more later. Should be interesting, to say the least.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 984,274 times
Quote:
One view in the United States, perhaps implicitly accepted by some nations that accept adoptive placements from the United States, is that the choice of the original/birth parents to place the child outside of the United States to a significant degree trumps the subsidiarity principle. This concept that parents have a right to select an intercountry adoptive placement, in defiance of the subsidiarity principle favoring domestic adoptive placement, cannot be easily reconciled with the Hague Adoption Convention.
I found this bit interesting about the US as a country of origin... especially the reasons (such as race) motivating Americans to place outside of the country. Does anyone know which countries US children are most commonly placed?

Quote:
Within the United States private adoption agencies frequently charge much less for the placement of African-American or bi-racial children than for white children. By contrast, it appears that by sending minority-race children in intercountry adoption there are possibilities of intermediaries, attorneys, and agencies earning many times more, since the fees for these adoptions can be quite high. In a context where the counseling that relinquishing birth parents receive in the United States is quite mixed in quality and objectivity, and revocation of consent periods in many states are very short, there is a grave concern that children are being sent internationally more for financial reasons than for reasons connected to the best interests of the child.
Great paper. I hope they make some headway making adoption "facilitators" more subject to accountability.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM

89 posts, read 101,648 times
I was stunned to read how easily one could take donations that were given to a non-profit and use them to benefit a for-profit business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or