Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,763,660 times

Advertisements

We received a 2 day old foster child in March 2012 and my wife quit her full time job (works part time now) to help care for the child. It's been a financial hardship for us, but we love "our" new baby very much. Anyway I have questions about what kinds of federal tax deductions we can take to ease our burden a little.

I know I can claim the child on my tax return as a dependent, there's a 1 thousand dollar child credit and the money we receive from the state to care for the child is tax free. What I have questions about is Foster children charitable deductions.

My wife took a 6 week unpaid family leave of from her full time job when we first received the child. Could the money she would have made if she worked be considered a charitable donation? She returned to her full time job for a week and ended up quitting and working part time.

I would expect food and clothing to be considered part of the care we provide the child, but what about additional things we had to buy, baby furniture, car seats, strollers, toys, un-reimbursed medical expenses. etc, are these considered charitable deductions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,521,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Could the money she would have made if she worked be considered a charitable donation?
No. Only money donated to a government recognized charity is a charitable donation.

Quote:
... what about additional things we had to buy, baby furniture, car seats, strollers, toys, un-reimbursed medical expenses. etc, are these considered charitable deductions?
No, except for unre-imbursed medical expenses, but only the portion of your expenses that exceed the baseline set for medical expenses, and only if you do not take the standard deduction.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,522,970 times
Quote:
We received a 2 day old foster child in March 2012 and my wife quit her full time job (works part time now) to help care for the child. It's been a financial hardship for us, but we love "our" new baby very much. Anyway I have questions about what kinds of federal tax deductions we can take to ease our burden a little.

I know I can claim the child on my tax return as a dependent, there's a 1 thousand dollar child credit and the money we receive from the state to care for the child is tax free. What I have questions about is Foster children charitable deductions.

My wife took a 6 week unpaid family leave of from her full time job when we first received the child. Could the money she would have made if she worked be considered a charitable donation? She returned to her full time job for a week and ended up quitting and working part time.

I would expect food and clothing to be considered part of the care we provide the child, but what about additional things we had to buy, baby furniture, car seats, strollers, toys, un-reimbursed medical expenses. etc, are these considered charitable deductions?
You really should talk with a tax professional to make sure you have the most accurate information.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM

2,447 posts, read 3,198,084 times
Quote:
No. It wouldn't be any different than the time spent volunteering for any other charity.

Quote:
That is what the money from the state is for. What sort of medical expenses do you have? Those should be covered by the state.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM

970 posts, read 2,208,727 times
You should definitely talk to a professional to make sure everything is in order on your taxes, but I am pretty sure the unpaid leave would be considered part of FMLA. For FMLA you don't get a break on your taxes, you just have a guarantee that you will still have a job when you return to work after a break. If it is due to a temporary disability (like pregnancy) then you can sometimes get money for a period of time, but I doubt taking care of an infant would qualify.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,498,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No. Only money donated to a government recognized charity is a charitable donation.
That's not entirely correct. Certain services and donations of items for charitable purposes are also deductible. It doesn't only have to be money. For instance, I'm involved with animal rescue and do transports of cats and dogs from pounds to rescues or adoptive homes and I can deduct some of the cost of doing these transports as long as I do them for a 501c3 organization. When I fostered for a 501c3 I could deduct some of the money I spent on my foster animals as these are considered donations to the organization. I would think that if you foster children for a 501c3 or a government agency it would be the same. I really would check with a professional though so ensure you get accurate info. I highly doubt that you can deduct the lost wages but I could be wrong.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,763,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What sort of medical expenses do you have? Those should be covered by the state.
Yes the state covers all medical expenses, but my wife took the baby to urgent care when she had a cold. The place she took the baby to doesn't accept medicare, so my wife paid for the visit. Techincally I guess she could have went over to the hospital's emergancy room, but it was more convient for her just to stay at the place was was already at.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM

2,447 posts, read 3,198,084 times
[quote=TechGromit;26975539Techincally I guess she could have went over to the hospital's emergancy room, but it was more convient for her just to stay at the place was was already at.[/quote]

Having adopted two kids through foster care, I can tell you that government bureaucracy and the phrase "more convenient" are mutually incompatible.

Good luck with the little one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption