U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,326,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
how horrible for all involved, exactly why some couples go overseas.

Judge Orders Adopted Baby Returned to Soldier Dad - ABC News
It is. It's why we did and why we are doing that again. Very tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,326,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
It is. It's why we did and why we are doing that again. Very tragic.
They loved the child. Anyone would drag their feet.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 PM

399 posts, read 601,722 times
They may have loved that child and given it all the good care possible, but ultimately, daddy never gave up his rights and it's not fair for men to have their rights taken from them. I'm a huge Father's advocate and I think the little girl needs to be returned to daddy. I hope he treasures her as much as that family did and I'm sure he will. Best of luck to Daddy.

JMHO

Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 AM

16,568 posts, read 14,024,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
There are a lot of unanswered questions here and I think the story will look differently when all is said and done. I am confused that he was "deployed" to SC. Did he PCS there or was it temporary duty. I thought deployments were overseas. Having been in finance for the military and having been in the military myself with a son on active duty, something isn't right here. Let's wait until the facts are revealed before sending this child to a father that we know little about. The relationship between himself and his wife could be very revealing.
You don't get it. You do not have the right to terminate a father's rights until he proves himself. That isn't how it works, legally or morally.

This child was adopted WITHOUT CONSENT OF ITS FATHER. That means it was kidnapped. And the APs knew that the father had not consented.

If her mother did not want her, she should have gotten the father's consent BEFORE she was put up for adoption. If you think that basic necessity is something APs can skip over, than there is more wrong with the adoption industry than I thought.

And btw, he was "gone" for ten days

Last edited by lkb0714; 12-05-2012 at 04:59 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Not true.

Everyday people who love children put the children and their needs before their own desire to "keep" the child.

Keeping a child that they had only had for a few months, for two more years, AFTER they knew her father's rights were never terminated is disgusting. How could they ever justify that to the child? "Sorry, Leah, we decided to keep you even though your father wanted, and fought for you, because we loved you."

That is even more unacceptable than that small group of whackadoodle parents who hide their children from a parent after a divorce.

http://rollingout.com/culture/black-...-didnt-know/2/

His lawyer calls it "human trafficking", he isn't even exaggerating in this one.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 AM

9,158 posts, read 9,232,316 times
I find myself siding with the father in this case, but its for a number of specific reasons that do not bear on the rights of a mother to place her child for adoption when the father of the child is an unmarried putative father. Many cases are "fact sensitive" or 'specfic" and this is definitely one.

First, the father was married to the mother. In such cases, his consent to the adoption is required.

Second, the father a soldier on active duty. There is a federal law known as the "Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act" which prohibits legal actions from being taken that interfere with a soldier's rights while he is away from home on active duty.

Third, I cannot tell whether the father was notified that his wife was in Utah attempting to place their child for adoption, but I would guess he was not. Therefore, he had no way to take any action at all.

This child should be returned. What I object to are blanket assertions that unmarried putative fathers should be able to prevent an adoption when these circumstances are not present.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,842,081 times
I have to side with the father too. Adopting without his consent and especially when he was married to the mother, is pretty inexcusable.

This is a good example where state laws should be scrutinized, especially if Utah is more lenient when it comes to adoption. I feel so sorry for that little girl who is locked in this battle.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM

14 posts, read 26,304 times
Quote:
I find this statement ironic since the adoption industry consistently tells us that birth mothers give up their children out of selfless love. So which is it? You love a baby so much that you give it away or you love a baby so much that you keep it? The dichotomy is interesting.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM

393 posts, read 503,796 times
I just read the ABC version of the story and it leaves out quite a bit compared to the Salt Lake Tribune article by Brooke Adams.

Father is ready to turn page on Utah adoption horror story | The Salt Lake Tribune

If the agency involved is a member agency of the National Council for Adoption - then I certainly hope Mr. Chuck Johnson and his team at the NCFA investigate and determine if the agency contravened the NCFA's agency code of conduct requirements to be members.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I find myself siding with the father in this case, but its for a number of specific reasons that do not bear on the rights of a mother to place her child for adoption when the father of the child is an unmarried putative father. Many cases are "fact sensitive" or 'specfic" and this is definitely one.

First, the father was married to the mother. In such cases, his consent to the adoption is required.

Second, the father a soldier on active duty. There is a federal law known as the "Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act" which prohibits legal actions from being taken that interfere with a soldier's rights while he is away from home on active duty.

Third, I cannot tell whether the father was notified that his wife was in Utah attempting to place their child for adoption, but I would guess he was not. Therefore, he had no way to take any action at all.

This child should be returned. What I object to are blanket assertions that unmarried putative fathers should be able to prevent an adoption when these circumstances are not present.
Thanks for the additional info. I had never heard of the law.

Do you know if in Utah, a father has to be notified? And is that dependent on his marital status? Or is it due to the law you mentioned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or