U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM

393 posts, read 503,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know in this case that because he was her husband that once the child was born that she could not make any such decision without his agreement --- but I wonder what was her rationale? Did she not know the laws?

Also other laws make it her decision and her decision alone if she wants to have the baby destroyed, even the day before the baby is born, she could have "terminated" the baby without his permission, maybe she was still under that "her body, her decision" even the day of the birth. I wonder if she felt that because she carried the baby for 40 weeks, that she had complete say. I wonder what her reasons actually were and how she feels about the whole thing now. I haven't seen anything written on that.
Utah adoption scandal: Birth mom felt abandoned by husband | The Salt Lake Tribune

Quote:
"The world needs to know I was left with nothing," Bland said in an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune Friday.
Quote:
Achane continued to deposit funds in their joint bank account, which was set up to automatically pay mortgage and other household bills. Achane said his wife also had access to money to pay for groceries, as well as pregnancy and living expenses. But Bland said there was little money left over for her and she felt Achane had no interest in their baby.
It really does not show a pretty picture of the mother. You can't claim to not have an address of where your husband is when he is at the Army base in SC...not like he went outside of the US, or no one has a smart phone, or internet access even if it is the public library, or calling information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,217,889 times
We have heard very little from members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, here is opinion from one:

Earth Stains: Utah Couple Used Alleged Divine Revelation to Manipulate $$ Donors

Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 AM

393 posts, read 503,530 times
Zimbochick,

I read that yesterday and she did a very good job laying it all out.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 AM

509 posts, read 483,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We have heard very little from members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, here is opinion from one:

Earth Stains: Utah Couple Used Alleged Divine Revelation to Manipulate $$ Donors
I read that yesterday as well and really appreciated the viewpoint of someone within the sane religion as the adoptive parents. I highly recommend reading it.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM

89 posts, read 101,648 times
SSgt. Terry Achane has a unpaid legal bill of $25,000 and has received $2,335 in donations as of Dec. 15. I have donated $50 and will be doing so again before Xmas. It is horrendous that he is facing that kind of legal bill just to parent his own child.

The Frei's solicited $20,000, got it, then went on to ask for $30,000 and then $50,000. According to their blog, they have received $22,387. This number hasn't changed for a week.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-16-2012 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Solicitations of any kind are NOT allowed

Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM

142 posts, read 211,239 times
Seems to me that, if natural parents want to parent their natural born children, they should solicit for online donations, hold garage sales, bake sales, and raffles and benefit dinners and concerts. But that would seem as if they were asking for handouts.

Why is it that adopting a child is seen as the "better" and "selfless" and "wonderful" act? Asking for money to adopt is the new "in" thing to do --- as if people need to donate money to pay medical bills for a dying child. Adopting is not like paying a dying child's medical bills for the parents' whose insurance ran out.

Keeping one's child by birth is the natural order of life itself. Defending a parent's right to raise his or her own child --- and the child's right to be raised by his or her own parent (s) --- should be a matter of moral and ethical character, not how much money one has in the bank or how much in "donations" one can make in one night of raffling. But if that's how this father can fight legally to raise his own flesh and blood, so be it.

Better still: The father of this child should get his child back --- and the legal bills should be waived.

Pre-adoptive parents who fight like hell to keep a child when it is evident that the father wants his child returned, are standing in the way of justice. If they prevail and win the preceived right to the child, and the adoption goes through, and the child grows up to someday find out that his so-called "loving" adoptive parents prevented his father from raising him, all hell will break loose. Resentment will follow.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,482,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Utah adoption scandal: Birth mom felt abandoned by husband | The Salt Lake Tribune

It really does not show a pretty picture of the mother. You can't claim to not have an address of where your husband is when he is at the Army base in SC...not like he went outside of the US, or no one has a smart phone, or internet access even if it is the public library, or calling information.
It doesn't -- it's like she failed to remember she married the guy and she really couldn't just walk away from that and decide for herself about the baby. It's kind of difficult to see how she could have felt abandoned -- there's no evidence he abandoned her.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM

16,568 posts, read 14,010,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It doesn't -- it's like she failed to remember she married the guy and she really couldn't just walk away from that and decide for herself about the baby. It's kind of difficult to see how she could have felt abandoned -- there's no evidence he abandoned her.
And that is the exact reason an advocate should be assigned to the case of every potential adoptee once the birth mother relinquishes her rights.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM

42 posts, read 38,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And that is the exact reason an advocate should be assigned to the case of every potential adoptee once the birth mother relinquishes her rights.
Ahhh...I see now. Appointing an advocate between TPR and finalization of adoption. Not a bad idea. Hmmm.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,217,889 times
I find it astonishing that the AP's are still receiving donations to cover their legal fees, and the father is struggling to raise any money for his legal fees. Anyway it does seem that eventually Teleah will be with her Dad, but the Frei's are still fighting hard.

Utah judge upholds decision to give father custody of his child | The Salt Lake Tribune

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-12-2013 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: No links to petitions, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or