U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,214,794 times

Advertisements

This case is unbelievable. The outrage seems to have died down, I don't understand why. The dad and grandmother arrived in SLC to collect his daughter, and then this at the 11th hour. It really is a travesty.

From the Facebook page via the lawyer:

Quote:
The Supreme Court just issued a "provisional stay" to the custody exchange to occur tomorrow - Jan 16th. This means the hearing tomorrow is cancelled and Sgt. Achane will not get his daughter then. Father is currently flying to SLC after having his flight canceled at DFW airport due to a snow storm. He is out the cost of the airfare and taking time off from work. He also has his Mother (child's grandmother in town for a month to assist with the transfer). He is very disappointed after waiting for this day for almost 2 years.

The good news is that the Supreme Court DID NOT grant their stay while the case is on appeal. The best guess for the "provisional stay" and according to the court's fax message to our law firm is "to afford the court the time necessary to adjudicate the request for emergency relief". We could have a decision tomorrow or in a week or so. Then we would need to reschedule the hearing and have Sgt. Achane came back to Utah at his expense.

Once again Terry is out a great deal of money for this trip he paid for to get his daughter, but he does not get his daughter. Very, very sad turn of events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM

509 posts, read 482,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This case is unbelievable. The outrage seems to have died down, I don't understand why. The dad and grandmother arrived in SLC to collect his daughter, and then this at the 11th hour. It really is a travesty.

From the Facebook page via the lawyer:
Does this remind anyone else of that recent Brazil case? I can't recall the names, but the mom kidnapped the son and took him to Brazil, remarried, then died, and the stepdad was refusing to return the child to the dad? He fought for years and had many occurrences if getting his hopes up then the stays and appeals and such.

It is such an overwhelming miscarriage of justice. And so very sad for this father and child.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM

569 posts, read 553,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taulery View Post
Seems to me that, if natural parents want to parent their natural born children, they should solicit for online donations, hold garage sales, bake sales, and raffles and benefit dinners and concerts. But that would seem as if they were asking for handouts.

Why is it that adopting a child is seen as the "better" and "selfless" and "wonderful" act? Asking for money to adopt is the new "in" thing to do --- as if people need to donate money to pay medical bills for a dying child. Adopting is not like paying a dying child's medical bills for the parents' whose insurance ran out.

Keeping one's child by birth is the natural order of life itself. Defending a parent's right to raise his or her own child --- and the child's right to be raised by his or her own parent (s) --- should be a matter of moral and ethical character, not how much money one has in the bank or how much in "donations" one can make in one night of raffling. But if that's how this father can fight legally to raise his own flesh and blood, so be it.

Better still: The father of this child should get his child back --- and the legal bills should be waived.
He should get his child back and the legal bills should go to the people that have been refusing to give the child back. Just my humble opinion.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM

125 posts, read 131,394 times
It is a complete travesty. I was on the phone discussing it with my parents, my aparents. We are shocked and sickened that the Utah Supreme Court would pull this disgusting move. It shows that it's about money and class (and race?), really it does. I don't know what new "evidence" could have been found in these 90 days. It's embarrassing for Utah, but a tragedy for Achane and HIS daughter, who is not adopted. Everything that agency did is illegal.

I agree that the Freis should have to pay Achane's legal bills.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,262,402 times
BUt in that case, there was a biological connection bc his mother took him (Sean Goldman) although she hadnt been granted custody yet (they were on vac. in Brazil), her husband David had no idea she was unhappy to the point of wanting to leave the US permanently and divorce etc, it came as a surprise to everyone. Ironically her Braz. boyfriend and later husband was a child custody lawyer but apparently he sided w/ his wife and did whatever he could to roadblock David's seeing Sean when he visited Brazil etc (and this was after Sean's mother died in childbirth w/ their new baby). Her parents also strongly wanted their grandson to stay in Brazil regardless that his father was naturally wanting to bring him home (I think basically the boy lived w/ the Brazilian grandparents after his mother died, and possibly before). It was a long drawn-out mess that never s/h happened and thankfully the Brazillian courts did the right thing eventually. There's an ongoing case in Italy about a young boy named Liam whose father has flown to Italy time and again to visit and hopefully to get him back - he's living in an orphanage after several kidnappings there by his mother - his father has no arrest record, is a law-abiding Amn citizen, and by rights s/h gotten him back yrs ago but bc the mother is Italian (alth. Liam was born in the US), and his mother has an arrest record as well as documented mental unstability), the boy is languishing in an Italian orphanage w/ no end in sight (unless something recently happened which Im not aware of). Anyway, TMI, I hope he and the SC soldier father get their children back, and soon, there's too many sad cases out there and the children are the ones who are suffering and growing up in the system w/ plenty of confusion and strife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
Does this remind anyone else of that recent Brazil case? I can't recall the names, but the mom kidnapped the son and took him to Brazil, remarried, then died, and the stepdad was refusing to return the child to the dad? He fought for years and had many occurrences if getting his hopes up then the stays and appeals and such.

It is such an overwhelming miscarriage of justice. And so very sad for this father and child.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 01-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,114,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post

Also not an adoption case, but the mother of Elián González died during their escape from Cuba and relatives fought to keep the boy in the U.S. instead of returning him to live with his birth father. Much of that, of course, was driven by political issus -- but other than those, there was no reason not to return custody to the father.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,214,794 times
It's about time!

Utah Supreme Court denies stay in married father

Quote:
"In plain English: Teleah is going home to her father," said attorney Scott Wiser, who with his father, Mark, represents Achane, in a post on Facebook.

"We’re extremely pleased with the Supreme Court ruling, and we appreciate the additional time they took to make sure they got all the additional information to decide this important case," Mark Wiser said. "Sergeant Achane is extremely elated and is anxiously awaiting being able to be united with his daughter and be able to take her to South Carolina to meet the rest of her family."

Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 AM

393 posts, read 503,407 times
Zimbochick,

Yet the Utah Supreme Court is still going to have a hearing on the appeal so not sure it is actually over. I think the hearing on the appeal only goes to whether or not they will "hear" the case? Hopefully Mark chimes in and explains? Anyway at least it is set for March and not a year from now like in other cases.

Anyway - the fact that they denied a stay is great! I do hope Sgt Achanes mother is still able to help him with the transition...

Sad that anyone had that level of entitlement to do this to a child who had a married father who wanted his child from the get go. Unbelievable.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,322,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
how horrible for all involved, exactly why some couples go overseas.

Judge Orders Adopted Baby Returned to Soldier Dad - ABC News
It is exactly why we went overseas. What a mess. I am really getting tired of the word "entitlement" being used against parents who adopt. What about that man's "entitlement" in disrupting a whole family because he wanted what he perceived as his back?

I'm a man and I can say this. Woman give birth. Often men split. The woman makes the hard choices and increasingly, the man shows up and tries to collect his flesh and blood.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM

142 posts, read 211,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Zimbochick,

Yet the Utah Supreme Court is still going to have a hearing on the appeal so not sure it is actually over. I think the hearing on the appeal only goes to whether or not they will "hear" the case? Hopefully Mark chimes in and explains? Anyway at least it is set for March and not a year from now like in other cases.

Anyway - the fact that they denied a stay is great! I do hope Sgt Achanes mother is still able to help him with the transition...

Sad that anyone had that level of entitlement to do this to a child who had a married father who wanted his child from the get go. Unbelievable.
This stuff happens all the time - this one made the News. While this is horrible within a marriage, the fact still remains that fathers are left behind all the time, married or not. Babies are given up by mothers who don't care about the father's right to his own child, don't care about the child's right to her own father. This is, in fact, what is touted by more than a few adoption agencies: don't tell the father, he doesn't need to know. This is not new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or