U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
1,105 posts, read 2,911,940 times
Reputation: 2106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Can you please give a link to this thread, since the ones I looked at didn't address the subject.
As mentioned there are many, many reasons why people choose to adopt internationally than adopt American kids in foster care. One reason is that most American kids are older, many teenagers. There are very few kids under the age of 5 and most of those are part of a sibling group. Many adopters only want babies or toddlers which is easier to get from other countries. Another reason is the fact that the majority of the children available in the US are black and for some odd reason white adopters often don't want to adopt black kids. Some only want kids who look somewhat like them and for that reason Eastern Europe is very attractive for white American parents.
An additional reason many American foster kids are not adopted is because they are part of sibling groups that can't be split up. It's often considered to be in the best interest of the kids to keep siblings together but there are few people who can take in 2-3 or more kids.

These are just a few reasons. There are many others that may differ from one family to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
 
15,037 posts, read 13,627,926 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Russian Furor Over U.S. Adoptions Follows American’s Acquittal in Boy’s Death





Obviously, NO children should ever die because of their parents' actions but, really, I think you're over-reacting -- and your own countrywoman (in 2008) seems to agree.


However, I doubt we're going to agree on this issue.
The oddest thing for me is that this bill has been named after Dima Yakovlev ( aka Chase Harrison) out of all children.
In Russian mind this was a horrible crime that hasn't been prosecuted and hence it serves as an ultimate proof that Americans don't care about Russian children and treat them as a second sort.
Russians don't understand how is it possible to forget a child in a car, unless this parent is a ruthless and heartless man, who doesn't care a bit about the well-being of a child, so to them it's a mystery why such parent wouldn't be persecuted in the most severe manner.
What they don't realize is that such accident is nothing unheard of, it happens to "regular" American families as well, and as far as I know it's regarded more as a tragedy than crime.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

I suppose Russians are not familiar with American concept of a car becoming "a way of life," where there is so much of routine is performed in it - the eating, negotiations with the boss, running endless errors, not to mention the distances that are covered daily because of the sprawl. This daily routine combined with sudden distraction ( as it was in case with Miles Harrison) can be understood by Americans, ( I was trying to explain on my Russian forum why children are left on the back seat as well,) but Russians have hard time to relate to it all. Someone asked me a question whether I personally would be able to forget a child in a car. I've said no, but at the same time in this situation I'd be absolutely worthless from professional point of view, since I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything other than child. Therefore when US court sympathized with Miles Harrison, feeling sorry for a man who otherwise has been a good father, for Russians the whole incident represented the bias of American system of justice.
I can only shake my head - it's one of those things when the events take unexpected twist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 AM
 
15,037 posts, read 13,627,926 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You are right on the Part. In Russia, you can not take a child if you are poor, it is not true! Conversely, if you have small children and you have a lot of accounts, according to the law you are not allowed to drive out of your home. In America, quite the opposite. Is not it? If you owe past due accounts and the government does not look at the fact that you have kids and kicked out. Or am I wrong? the child if the parents can not care about the child and not compliance with a number standards while and even with all the violations have a chance that the child will remain in the parents. I understand about what cases do you say is was the American practice Jobs - Juvenile Justice. In actual fact there is no law which can take away the child for the debts in Russia. there is only a set of articles that are uncorroborated constantly want to scare the Russians. This is a simple practice, look at the TV in Russia, many programs entail only negative news and inflate them to the whole of Russia. This is done on purpose, for the suppression of the national character. Many laws have been written after the collapse of the Soviet Union, written by U.S. advisers CIA (Anyone who had money could buy a was seat in the Duma.р) with oligarchs who plundered the country in the 90's to 2000 -s pl these laws did not belong to Russia Russian. Today, many laws are made against the Russian. You can follow any responses to say that I am writing nonsense, but if you analyze the information and you'll see many of the laws that they were created for the benefit of a single country - this is not Russia. Do you know about default? You know how it is created artificially in the 90's? People do not receive money for months at a time when that money specifically burned and stored in the missile silos.But it's a little different subject. I think in part you are right about the fact that there is bad in Russia, but most of this overblown scandals. In fact it actually is not as bad as people think. I said before that I have a friend of children at home, to have friends that work there bugalterom, my parents three children on guardianship. I also know something about what I write.
The ruble was self-sustaining - Treasury notes, ie by it, you might require gold. Today, the ruble is the same blank piece of paper as the U.S. dollar.Speaking of the top of this, the point is not that American parents are bad, no! It's about the government. Russia wants to be sure that these children will be the same as other citizens America, which officially U.S. government can not do.I admire people who take children to their families, or create new ones, no matter who they are nationals. I can only wish them health and family benefits!(good) Returning to the subject, there is in America, children who need parents, not all have parents. So why American laws so harsh towards a foster parent?
K., I'm sorry I have hard time as usual understanding what you are talking about, but do you know at all what "foster parents" in America mean?
One more question - another poster asked you here whether your parents ( or relatives?) adopted three children ( усыновили) or became guardians ( стали опечителями) because you used both words in description and they mean different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 AM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,277 posts, read 5,168,386 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
In Russia, a lot of sick children adopted Russian families
That would be one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time if the reality weren't so sad. It's so not true. I can't figure out if you're real (I know a lot of Russians do think this way) or fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 AM
 
Location: State Fire and Ice
3,101 posts, read 4,557,563 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
That would be one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time if the reality weren't so sad. It's so not true. I can't figure out if you're real (I know a lot of Russians do think this way) or fake.
? Yes, in Russia people take sick children on a level with healthy for adoption. What you do not understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 AM
 
Location: State Fire and Ice
3,101 posts, read 4,557,563 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
K., I'm sorry I have hard time as usual understanding what you are talking about, but do you know at all what "foster parents" in America mean?
One more question - another poster asked you here whether your parents ( or relatives?) adopted three children ( усыновили) or became guardians ( стали опечителями) because you used both words in description and they mean different things.
the first version! and has over 9 years.(уже старшему)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,669 posts, read 23,241,522 times
Reputation: 48852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I think that we have a miscommunication. Russian children aren't rejecting Russian adoptive parents. The prospective Russian adoptive parents are passing on the children for various reasons. The Russian children do sit on a national registry with priority given to Russians. When a certain timeframe has passed, they are then available for adoption to foreigners. Russian families did look at my daughter and.....declined. If Russis is serious about this issue, then reform should happen within Russia. Are there road blocks for Russian parents to adopt? Is it expensive? Are there excessive beaucratic obstacles? I don't know the answer to these questions and maybe with adoption on the minds of your countrymen and women, Russia can start addressing a problem from within. Here is my question back to you. As a Russian, if you wanted to adopt, can you tell us about your system? Is it hard? Easy? Impossible?

Secondly, Americans do adopt sick children. All the time. Unfortunately most of the children in the orphanages are not healthy. They suffer from a number of ailments---mental, physical, etc. Both of my children have medical or emotional difficulties. My son has had several surguries---one occuring just two weeks after his arrival here in the United States. Due to lack of funding to your orphanages, the children are also pretty malnourished. I've had the pleasure of knowing other adoptive families who have adopted children with much more severe problems and get them the services or treatment they so desperately need.

Why do Americans adopt from overseas? That is a deeply personal question my friend and I think there is a thread floating around this forum that gives you some insights on why people pursue an international adoption.

Instead of getting so angry at all Americans that adopt, please also remember there are thousands of children that are in good homes. It is tragic when deaths occur, whether they are adopted or biological children. Also remember that the court system isn't fool proof either and some parents don't get what they deserve if something does happen to the children. I'm sure that is also true in Russia too.

Some of the differences in terms of adoption between the US and the former USSR, including Russia have to do with family size.

Families of one child are not uncommon in Russia. And not because the families can't have more children - they don't want more.

In the US, families that are "intact" and have decided to have only one child are not the norm. ( I do not mean that they are "abnormal" but that they do not occur frequently.

At this point we have two children. As compared to my children's friend's and my fiends families, our family is small. Three or four seem the average.

An American family with one or two children may be very open to adopting more children. A Russian family? Not so much. But with families of 3 or four living in 3 ROOM flats, much of this is understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM
 
1,516 posts, read 1,847,319 times
Reputation: 3121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Some of the differences in terms of adoption between the US and the former USSR, including Russia have to do with family size.

Families of one child are not uncommon in Russia. And not because the families can't have more children - they don't want more.

In the US, families that are "intact" and have decided to have only one child are not the norm. ( I do not mean that they are "abnormal" but that they do not occur frequently.

At this point we have two children. As compared to my children's friend's and my fiends families, our family is small. Three or four seem the average.

An American family with one or two children may be very open to adopting more children. A Russian family? Not so much. But with families of 3 or four living in 3 ROOM flats, much of this is understandable.
I guess that it is all a moot point now since Putin signed the bill. Sad day for all these children in the orphanages. My heart also goes out to the children in limbo---46 of them I believe? Let's see if Russia rises to the challange and finds good homes for all the children in the orphanages.

Sheena, does any of his impact you? I thought that you were looking at a Russian adoption or was that a different region? Mind is fuzzy from lack of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 AM
 
11,151 posts, read 14,146,124 times
Reputation: 18796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I guess that it is all a moot point now since Putin signed the bill. Sad day for all these children in the orphanages. My heart also goes out to the children in limbo---46 of them I believe? Let's see if Russia rises to the challange and finds good homes for all the children in the orphanages.

Sheena, does any of his impact you? I thought that you were looking at a Russian adoption or was that a different region? Mind is fuzzy from lack of coffee.
Sheena's adopting from Ukraine, so hopefully this won't affect her plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 AM
 
1,516 posts, read 1,847,319 times
Reputation: 3121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Sheena's adopting from Ukraine, so hopefully this won't affect her plans.
Glad to hear that!! Phew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top