U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 04:45 PM

18,645 posts, read 23,230,355 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions? There would not include reunion books, books about open adoption, which I am not at all against, it's just not for me, and books about HAPPY ADOPTED FAMILIES and Adopted People!

I know some, but I've been out of the loop for about 15 years so any new ones would be most welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,143,479 times
I had to search a bit, but I'm pretty sure this is a book I read back in my college days (when dinosaurs roamed the earth): Kim; A Gift from Vietnam.

As I recall, it was a touching (true) story, overall optimistic in tone, and the end result was a happy family.

My only complaint wasn't with the book, per se, but that for a while it seemed as though every girl adopted from Asia was being named "Kim" .....

Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,862,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I had to search a bit, but I'm pretty sure this is a book I read back in my college days (when dinosaurs roamed the earth): Kim; A Gift from Vietnam.

As I recall, it was a touching (true) story, overall optimistic in tone, and the end result was a happy family.

My only complaint wasn't with the book, per se, but that for a while it seemed as though every girl adopted from Asia was being named "Kim" .....
Kim is more of a surname in Korea, in fact it is the most popular one.

Last edited by susankate; 12-23-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Thanks! Dinosaurs roamed the earth in my college days as well. I'll look into it. It sounds sweet and I'm going to look for it on Amazon.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:53 PM

509 posts, read 484,157 times
Mine are little kid books, not adult ones, but I'll add anyway.

A Mama for Choco (really like this one- works well for foster kids, especially)

God Found Us You (a couple sentences I would change for our particular circumstances, but still cute)

Old 12-23-2012, 05:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,143,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Kim is more of a surname in Korea, in fact it is the most popular one.
Oh, I know -- but this girl was from Vietnam!

It just seems as though it was used a lot back then.

ETA: BTW -- if that's NOT a positive adoption story, I apologize. I'm working with 40-year-old memories here. (But I'm pretty sure that's the book I read.)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,862,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Any suggestions? There would not include reunion books, books about open adoption, which I am not at all against, it's just not for me, and books about HAPPY ADOPTED FAMILIES and Adopted People!

I know some, but I've been out of the loop for about 15 years so any new ones would be most welcomed.
Why not search out your favourite adopted famous people and get their biographies?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 PM

142 posts, read 212,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Please list the books (titles and authors and dates of publication) that you have read, even if they are over 15 years old. Can add to our knowledge base.

I read a book in 1976, but its much older than that, and I don't recall who wrote it: The Family Nobody Wanted. Does anyone know who wrote it? I think it was about an adoptive family of all disabled children.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM

142 posts, read 212,014 times
I found it!

The Family Nobody Wanted, by Helen Doss. It must have been first published in 1954. Other dates are 1960, and 1971. The one I read was the 1971 edition.

It has been updated in 2001 and is available on Amazon:
The Family Nobody Wanted: Helen Doss, Mary Battenfeld: 9781555535025: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taulery View Post
Please list the books (titles and authors and dates of publication) that you have read, even if they are over 15 years old. Can add to our knowledge base.

I read a book in 1976, but its much older than that, and I don't recall who wrote it: The Family Nobody Wanted. Does anyone know who wrote it? I think it was about an adoptive family of all disabled children.
"The Family Nobody Wanted" was written in 1954 by Helen Doss. I read it in the 1960s and I remember buying it at a Scholastic book fair. I really loved it and at the time - I think I was around ten, I decided that I wanted to have both adopted children and birth children and that race did not matter to me.

In the early 2000s the book was reissued with a preface.

The first time I read it I thought that the Doss family were really amazing - especially because they adopted Asian, American Indian ( that was before the Native American Child Act in 1970 something) and some other children of other heritages. Mrs, Doss was married to a minister and sometimes their congregations were less than happy with their mufti cultural brood.

They never did adopt an African American child, although Doss addresses that in the new edition.

When re-reading the book, some of the writing and descriptions of the kids made me cringe a bit. Even the title is a bit cringe inducing.

Taulery, I do not have a list of all of the books that I have read handy. Many were borrowed from the library. I'll try to see what I can do about getting some of the titles for you.

Is this for a project or something? A thesis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or