U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM

2,748 posts, read 3,322,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Really Sheena?

"Their own dissatisfaction about their own adoptions"?

And "Shame on them!"?

You assume too much and have never asked about my adoption, nor do I believe I have ever shared anything about it with anyone here, much less noted I had any dissatisfaction with my adoption.

The repetive assuming you do is tiresome.
Both Craig and Sheena said that the people who saw anything but beauty, love and joy in that video must be "projecting" the:ir own dissatisfaction on to this feel good video that is pro adoption.

I'd have to agree with that. There is nothing but good to be seen here. I think that the parents must be very special people to have adopted such a diverse and unique brood. The children all seemed happy and full of life. It seems like this is an example of everything that is good with adoption.

It is good to see and hear positive things about adoption!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM

393 posts, read 503,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
Really Sheena?

"Their own dissatisfaction about their own adoptions"?

And "Shame on them!"?

You assume too much and have never asked about my adoption, nor do I believe I have ever shared anything about it with anyone here, much less noted I had any dissatisfaction with my adoption.

The repetive assuming you do is tiresome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Both Craig and Sheena said that the people who saw anything but beauty, love and joy in that video must be "projecting" the:ir own dissatisfaction on to this feel good video that is pro adoption.

I'd have to agree with that. There is nothing but good to be seen here. I think that the parents must be very special people to have adopted such a diverse and unique brood. The children all seemed happy and full of life. It seems like this is an example of everything that is good with adoption.

It is good to see and hear positive things about adoption!
Warren,

I object to the assuming that is repetative and not valid...

Below is my only post on this thread which was in response to No Kudzu's post (both quoted below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu

the rescue and ransom comment did trouble me. maybe it comes from some religious belief- i don't know. and any half way intelligent kid would figure out that if he weighed 9 lbs at one year old and was adopted that indeed he would have died without the adoption. i doubt he was told that. and the other severely disabled kids are self aware enough to know they indeed were saved but i certainly hope these parents don't tell the kids this narrative.
Quote:
by Artful Dodger
I tried to watch it but couldn't. I have no doubt the children do understand the reality of what they faced before being adopted - how could you not. I grasped the fact as a child that without being adopted due to the societal mores, I would have been subjected to discrimination and looked down on and other children wouldn't have been allowed to associate with me, and I didn't have any special needs to deal with, just a society that required everyone follow their rules to be considered acceptable.

No Kudzu - even if the children didn't know before - they certainly know now the narrative of rescue and ransom - simply because the parents chose to make a movie telling everyone. I do think it is a religious belief, and see it to greater or lesser degrees in the orphan ministry that is all the rage, and the current "to do" thing. I don't know how the children directly affected will feel as adults in the future about it.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,566,158 times
There is a bit of religious reference to the term Rescue and Ransom.http://oll.libertyfund.org/?option=c...html&Itemid=27

You know. I posted the video thinking it would be a nice feel good video we all could take some comfort in but I can't believe it has sparked so much dissension and negative statements. I'm sorry I thought I had found a common ground for us all. I think, regardless of the term used in the video it is a very nice story about a blended family and I am choosing to take nothing but positive from it.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,361,533 times
The link re. "rescue and ransom" doesn't go into the religious connotations of this term, although the information in the link is interesting.

Many Christians view themselves as "rescued and ransomed" by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ upon the cross, and believe that his sacrifice of his life there ransomed his believers/followers from their sins, so that they were "rescued" from the evil which was otherwise their due.

Christians are taught to follow the teachings and example of Jesus in their own lives. Some, viewing Jesus as their "rescuer" who has "ransomed" them from evil, interpret this example as a calling to save others from evil, to do good unto others, and to "rescue" those in need. Others go beyond this belief and would add "so that those who are rescued might be "ransomed", i.e. find and accept Jesus as their Savior. There are also many Bible verses regarding caring for orphans "in their distress"., along with the well-known words of Christ about "suffering (allowing) little children to come unto me, for of such is the kingdom of heaven".

Many Christian adoptive parents believe that they are following these teachings through adoption.

While the parents' brief, isolated one-time mention of "ransom and rescue" in this video seems to reflect their Christian beliefs, it is not possible from the brevity of this video to tell just what they mean by "ransom and rescue". They do not expound or dwell upon their beliefs or on what exactly they meant by using this term, and I do not know anything more about this family, so cannot offer any additional clarification or information about their possible beliefs or motivation. To do more would be conjecture only.

Clearly, these parents adopted some of their children from bad conditions - that is indesputable. Clearly, the children are doing well and seem happy at present. This video is far too short to determine more about the parents' motivations and beliefs and objectives beyond creating a family and loving and caring for their children.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,361,533 times
SusanKate, have you had an opportunity to watch this video yet? You wrote me last evening that you had yet to view it...

Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,727,223 times
I watched it -- and I guess my personality in general doesn't let me take these things at face value -- without the sound it was fine :+)

When I listened to it, I hated the rescue, saved, ransom thing -- the kid in front of 300 people thing -- I just can't get into the religious mission adoption mindset, way to foreign to me - Evangelical, Morrnom, whatever. I personally don't believe in making your kids your missionaries.

What it made me do is research the whole organization the video was for [ilikegiving, underwritten in part by the owner of Hobby Lobby] - post your act of giving. To each his own; I do mine in private.

So I won't go on about adoption in general based on this. The mission adoption thing is offensive to me, but feel free to write me off as a cynic.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM

20,070 posts, read 14,370,683 times
I can't help but think that there would not be all this bickering going on in this thread if the video contained adoption of a cat or dog.

Terms like "rescue" and "grateful" wouldn't even phase anyone.

Stop looking for the friggin' arse hole angle.

Those folks have done more than most- who only talk about helping and then do absolutely nothing.

Look, truth is anyone who enters this world and gets "placed" -or "selected" -or friggin' "rescued"--> IS lucky!

Too many don't even have one soul who gives a crap about them! And I'm guessing would give both arms and legs to have just one human being love and care for them.

Go get some therapy for your displaced anger! It's obnoxious!!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,727,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I can't help but think that there would not be all this bickering going on in this thread if the video contained adoption of a cat or dog.

Terms like "rescue" and "grateful" wouldn't even phase anyone.

Stop looking for the friggin' arse hole angle.

Those folks have done more than most- who only talk about helping and then do absolutely nothing.

Look, truth is anyone who enters this world and gets "placed" -or "selected" -or friggin' "rescued"--> IS lucky!

Too many don't even have one soul who gives a crap about them! And I'm guessing would give both arms and legs to have just one human being love and care for them.

Go get some therapy for your displaced anger! It's obnoxious!!
Not everyone wants their life experience reduced to an 'in the arms of an angel" video.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,566,158 times
nj185 makes some very good points. Kids should not be presented to the public under the headline "I am a good Christian. Look at what I did". Wrong Wrong Wrong but this is the ilk of that particular group. Then again I take the view that some of those kids are lucky to be in any home and I just accept motives different than mine will still give a future to some kids who could have been thrown away.

Last edited by Marka; 01-24-2013 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: remove orphaned part

Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM

1,024 posts, read 984,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Picklejuice is right on as well. Some folks are hell bent to find something negative about everything. We find too much displaced anger and hatefulness here.
So children who are kept & loved are not the lucky ones for being wanted, but adoptees -- we are lucky to be wanted by anyone at all? Nevermind the trauma or heavy losses you had to endure in order to be available for adoption -- you're still lucky?

BTW,

It can also be said that there are people whose anger is equally displaced on adoptees for sharing views they do not agree with.

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 01-24-2013 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or