Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM

89 posts, read 124,951 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how a book describing adoptees as trolls is going to help children feel better. From what I gather, the couple take in a troll. The troll magically makes them feel better and as a result, they conceive a child of their own. They no longer need the troll around, but they unselfishly allow it to stay.

I think this sends entirely the wrong message to young adoptees. According to this book, adoptees need to CURE their adopters infertility in order to earn their place as an almost family member.

They've already hit their target at Kickstarter.

Kaysville couple pen kid's book about adoption - Times Union

Tyler and Jill Kirkham have written and illustrated the children's book "The Family Troll." In a roundabout way, the story tells of the magic that can be created when a family adopts a child.

If the Kirkhams raise enough money, they're considering a sequel in which the troll grows to be full-size and, as a "big, big brother," goes on an adventure with the couple's natural child.
The Kirkhams came up with their idea while sitting in their backyard one night. They were tired from their latest failed attempt at conceiving.

But they also admit the story, about a troll who magically transforms a couple, making them a family, also is a bit backward.
"He's not a human," Tyler said.
"He's not a pet, either."
He hopes he can help children who may feel out of place feel better about their situations.
"The story has a double purpose," Jill said. "They do end up having a child, and they end up keeping the troll, too."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
I haven't read the book but I find what I have read about it rather strange and ill conceived (pardon the pun). To equate an adopted child with a troll is horrible and to say adopting will help a couple have a "natural" child is sick. Yes some folks do conceive after adoption but to suggest that is the cure for infertility does so much injustice to everybody concerned. And to say they decided to "keep" the troll after they got what they wanted in the first place seems to me to equate an adopted child to second place.

And I swore I wouldn't even lurk in this forum again because I usually get so upset here. I guess I better figure out a way to block this forum all together.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,296,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I haven't read the book but I find what I have read about it rather strange and ill conceived (pardon the pun). To equate an adopted child with a troll is horrible and to say adopting will help a couple have a "natural" child is sick. Yes some folks do conceive after adoption but to suggest that is the cure for infertility does so much injustice to everybody concerned. And to say they decided to "keep" the troll after they got what they wanted in the first place seems to me to equate an adopted child to second place.

And I swore I wouldn't even lurk in this forum again because I usually get so upset here. I guess I better figure out a way to block this forum all together.
Ill-conceived is the word I would also use to describe the concept. One can see that they mean well but that they don't seem to have thought it through. I wonder if they have ever read or shown it to anyone who has anything to do with adoption - whether adoptee, AP or BP.

He hopes he can help children who may feel out of place feel better about their situations

I do think that would make children who may feel out of place feel even more out of place. As you and Scott have pointed out, a child might take away the message that:

1) He is there to help his new parents take their mind off their troubles so that they can conceive - thus making him feel that he is just a fill-in until the "real thing" comes along.

2) The troll is not human yet not a pet - thus the child might think he is not quite as "real" a child to his new parents as if he had born to them.

3) Just the fact that it is a troll - a not particularly attractive creature.

Btw I believe that in the 50s/60s, couples were in fact told that adopting a child would help them conceive.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,491,133 times
I find their story and the purpose for it very odd too, and quite ignorant. I can't believe that they don't realize that their portrayal of adoption and the adopted child is more likely to hurt than help. I wonder if anyone has pointed it out to them.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 AM

The Family Troll, Picture book by Tyler Kirkham — Kickstarter

They've got 179 backers who have collectively kicked in $11,747.

As we have been trying for years now to have a baby of our own, we have talked about adopting a child! Narg the Troll in the book is adopted essentially, and the family grows to love him as their own! Another thing that inspired us to do this story was how comforting our dogs are to us when we get down and depressed after countless failed attempts at trying to have a baby. Its frustrating when something that is supposed to be natural just isn't happening. Its always great knowing we have our dogs here with us to give a good snuggle! They are the Family pets. Like Narg is THE FAMILY TROLL! He is an adopted troll that blesses a young couples lives by helping them forget their worries and stress of not being able to have a baby of their own and just live happy!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,186,984 times
It would have been better if the adoptive family was portrayed as trolls who for some reason lost their magic, but then they would still be making it the adoptee's purpose in life to help solve their problems with fertility & that is wrong.

Nearly 200 people cannot see the problem with dehumanizing an adopted child? These messages were socially acceptable enough to fund & people wonder why it is so important to voice our POVs as adult adoptees. PAPs/APs don't always know better & the children who read this book would probably not complain, they'd simply internalize its messages.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,262,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I find their story and the purpose for it very odd too, and quite ignorant. I can't believe that they don't realize that their portrayal of adoption and the adopted child is more likely to hurt than help. I wonder if anyone has pointed it out to them.
I think the concept sounds a bit strange however hard to tell until the book is read within the full context. I will say one thing...I love the artwork. I love fantasy and this visual style of book is quite lovely to me.

Lizita and others....I think there is a chance to give input to these authors. I certainly hope from some of the comments on this thread you all are doing so. It wouldn't hurt and perhaps make this young couple aware of the deep hurt and psychologically damaging message it is sending to young adopted children that may be reading this book. Time to take action I would say and spread the word!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I think there is a chance to give input to these authors. I certainly hope from some of the comments on this thread you all are doing so.
The only way I see to post any comment at kickstarter is to contribute cash towards the project. If I can find some other link to the author I will post it here.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
at last- something we can agree on.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,491,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_K View Post
The only way I see to post any comment at kickstarter is to contribute cash towards the project. If I can find some other link to the author I will post it here.
On the Kickstarter site there is an option at the bottom of the page to ask a question. It doesn't say that you have to be a backer to use that function. I'm going to check if it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption