Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with this site or its POV, but it presents news reports from several sources on one page.

There's an allegation that the adoptive mother hit the boy once. A neighbor claims that the boy chose to live on the street rather than follow the rules laid down. After returning to Russia, he attempted to shoplift three cans of coffee and was arrested.

You can see a (brief) interview with him here.

It's a sad story, all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'm not familiar with this site or its POV, but it presents news reports from several sources on one page.

There's an allegation that the adoptive mother hit the boy once. A neighbor claims that the boy chose to live on the street rather than follow the rules laid down. After returning to Russia, he attempted to shoplift three cans of coffee and was arrested.

You can see a (brief) interview with him here.

It's a sad story, all around.
This is the part that I do not understand;

"Steve Salotti and his wife Jackie have a very different version of events, describing an idyllic home life that included fishing trips, Christmas gifts and family pets. They told WPVI they noticed troubling behavior after Josh returned from Russia, so they implemented new rules in their Collegeville, Pennsylvania home."

What does it mean he "returned from Russia?"
Did he go there alone, or with them, at what age and if he went there on a round trip with them, how was he "introduced to drugs and alcohol" then?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,250 times
I just find it hard to believe there were no major problems prior to the age of 18. They take zero responsibility & blame it all on his trip to Russia as if he had no access to drugs/alcohol here. Sounds like malarkey to put it nicely.

I also don't understand why they would expect him NOT to have serious struggles which may include problems with drugs, alcohol, authority, or attachment. They honestly should have been prepared for that when they adopted him.

It had only been five years. You don't expect a 13 year old to attach or bond completely with a step-parent that quickly, so why would you expect this boy to?

I understand that they would feel hurt by what he has done or said, but disappointed? Seems they may have had unreasonable expectations if you ask me. Comparing him to his supposedly compliant brother? That's just wrong.

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 04-05-2013 at 04:54 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

"Steve Salotti and his wife Jackie have a very different version of events, describing an idyllic home life that included fishing trips, Christmas gifts and family pets. They told WPVI they noticed troubling behavior after Josh returned from Russia, so they implemented new rules in their Collegeville, Pennsylvania home."

Did he go there alone, or with them, at what age and if he went there on a round trip with them, how was he "introduced to drugs and alcohol" then?
Oh boy. I think they are in serious denial.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh boy. I think they are in serious denial.
Here is Abnosov/Salotti describes his problems ( quite typical for a "difficult" teenagers I suppose)

"When my friend Ben got kicked out of the house. He was 18 years old. He went ice-skating, but his parents told him not to go, but still went. And when he came home his parents told him not to come back. So, he went to my house and I asked my parents if he can stay over. But they said no, he can’t. I told them that I’m going to help him find a place to stay and sleep somewhere and not get cold because it was winter time. It was like minus 6 or minus 7 degrees and cold to sleep outside.So, I went with him and tried to find him a place to sleep, not like a house but a pipe or a trailer, or something like that so that it wasn’t too cold and too bad like outside. When I helped him to find a place to stay I came back home and the doors were locked. My dad came out with my mom and told me that I can go with my friend and not come back home."

That's on one hand, and on another hand we are having a family that's talking about an idyllic home life that included fishing trips, Christmas gifts and family pets." (Something that sounds right for an 8 years old, just not the teenager, the way many of them are.) Plus we have two 12 years old, who are re-named with biblical names at this age ( as in "Joshua" and "Samuel.")

Something doesn't add up here. Or it's all rather odd.

PS. He ( Abnosov/Salotti) doesn't come across as someone with SAD? problems at all - rather as a problematic teenager. He has been caught recently shoplifting with his friends. Three cans of coffee.
His grandmother is receiving something like 5,700 rubles per month pension. He doesn't have a job.

His sister ( yes, he has an older sister, who was not allowed to adopt him as well five years ago, since she was considered too young for that,) is saying that he lives in a bad neighborhood and is hooked with a wrong crowd. She has bought him a pair of tennis shoes; the next day one of his friends was wearing them.

Putin is an idiot as usual. Even when his cronies were trying to politicize this case - even then they don't have enough brains to handle the whole thing. Too greedy I suppose.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
His sister ( yes, he has an older sister, who was not allowed to adopt him as well five years ago, since she was considered too young for that,) is saying that he lives in a bad neighborhood and is hooked with a wrong crowd. She has bought him a pair of tennis shoes; the next day one of his friends was wearing them.
If that is true (not sure what sources you are getting this info from), that is incredibly sad. Especially if the story about getting kicked out for trying to help his friend is true, too. That's how I was as a teen -- I would give the shirt off my back to help a friend in need, even at my own expense.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM

297 posts, read 502,359 times
Quote:
Here is Abnosov/Salotti describes his problems ( quite typical for a "difficult" teenagers I suppose)

"When my friend Ben got kicked out of the house. He was 18 years old. He went ice-skating, but his parents told him not to go, but still went. And when he came home his parents told him not to come back. So, he went to my house and I asked my parents if he can stay over. But they said no, he can’t. I told them that I’m going to help him find a place to stay and sleep somewhere and not get cold because it was winter time. It was like minus 6 or minus 7 degrees and cold to sleep outside.So, I went with him and tried to find him a place to sleep, not like a house but a pipe or a trailer, or something like that so that it wasn’t too cold and too bad like outside. When I helped him to find a place to stay I came back home and the doors were locked. My dad came out with my mom and told me that I can go with my friend and not come back home."

That's on one hand, and on another hand we are having a family that's talking about an idyllic home life that included fishing trips, Christmas gifts and family pets." (Something that sounds right for an 8 years old, just not the teenager, the way many of them are.) Plus we have two 12 years old, who are re-named with biblical names at this age ( as in "Joshua" and "Samuel.")

Something doesn't add up here. Or it's all rather odd.
Parents locking teens out is more common than you would think. Typically happens when the teen has a drug addiction problem. The parent no longer knows how to deal with it, so they don't. It's very sad.

I don't know if this is what happened here, who knows, but the 2 stories don't add up.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,125 times
Quote:

That was explained elsewhere. The boy went to Russia by himself and, according to the parents, picked up some bad habits there.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
I don't know if this is what happened here, who knows, but the 2 stories don't add up.
No, they don't. If it is what happened should a parent kick an adopted child out of the house after only five years of raising them?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM

297 posts, read 502,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
No, they don't. If it is what happened should a parent kick an adopted child out of the house after only five years of raising them?
Oh no, I don't think a parent should ever kick out a child, whether adopted or biological. I was just saying it does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption