Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Again, this is only a survey, as you have aptly pointed out in your above statement.

Absolutely regarding your first question. Somewhat for your second question. Especially given that I'll be adopting from a public agency.

On a side note: If we're going to toss around degrees, I should state that I too hold a masters degree. But neither mine nor the author's degrees have anything to do with the respondents. They gave their OWN opinions. I may however, interpret those responses as I see fit, just as the author has done. Seeing that we both have advanced degrees.
I think Artful Dodger was pointing out more that she had a Masters degree in Social Work which may relevant to how she framed the questionnaire. I think the Social Work thing was the important factor, not the Master's degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post

Quote:
  • In "always open" adoptions: How many visits did those who rated the quantity as "too much" have?: 50% said "once a year was too much"
You realize this is out of only 4%, right?
That's actually why I felt it important to have actual numbers in brackets afterwards. It is quite possible that the 4% represented only 2 respondents.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
That's actually why I felt it important to have actual numbers in brackets afterwards. It is quite possible that the 4% represented only 2 respondents.

There were 281 respondents, so 4% = 11 people. Fifty percent of that is 5.5 people. Let's be generous and round it up six people who thought that one visit was too much.

Therefore, 275 people DIDN'T feel that way.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,532 times
So 6 out of 200+ people thought one visit was too much? Still don't understand how that can possibly confirm for someone that contact is not beneficial/important for most adoptees...

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 04-07-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
There were 281 respondents, so 4% = 11 people. Fifty percent of that is 5.5 people. Let's be generous and round it up six people who thought that one visit was too much.

Therefore, 275 people DIDN'T feel that way.
Even though there were 281 respondents, a lot of those respondents were ones in closed adoptions. The actual questions in the following survey seemed concentrated only on those who considered themselves in some sort of open adoption which was 47% which is about 132 respondents.

However, the question where they asked "I felt the number of questions was "too much", "fine" and "not enough" was only to those who felt their adoption was "always open" (which is stated above that question). 23% of the overall 281 respondents considered their adoption "always open" which is 64 respondents:

Quote:
To further consider the idea of face to face contact in "always open" adoptions we asked participants in the "always open" category to indicate their level of satisfaction with the quantity of visits they had with birth family members during their childhood.
Thus they asked the 64 respondents in the "always open" group only. 4% of those respondents in that group answered "too much". Thus 4% of 64 "always open" respondents is 2.5 respondents.

This is why I felt it was important to put the actual number in brackets.

Btw I am assuming there are more survey findings planned because, as I said above, this particular set of findings only concentrated on those who considered themselves in some sort of open adoption. Also, it seemed to me also that the "once closed but now open" adoption could also refer to those who had a closed adoption throughout childhood and have now reunited as adults as it doesn't specifically say whether they are talking about being closed and then open during childhood. Many reunited adoptee may well consider their adoption "once closed but now open".

Last edited by susankate; 04-07-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Thus they asked the 64 respondents in the "always open" group only. 4% of those respondents in that group answered "too much". Thus 4% of 64 "always open" respondents is 2.5 respondents.

This is why I felt it was important to put the actual number in brackets.

Yegads!

Sorry -- I totally missed that. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 PM

509 posts, read 587,579 times
I'm just catching up on this thread as we spent most of the day out with our daughter's other mom and dad.

I think it's pretty clear from this survey that the majority of adoptees questioned agree that an open adoption (the precise definition of "open" still being unclear) is beneficial for the adoptee. Frankly, I don't think an AP or PAP can say they are choosing a closed adoption for their child. How can this be so when here is clear evidence that most adult adoptees appreciate openness? A closed adoption is for the benefit of the APs in all circumstances except those in which the birth father or mother is a danger or severely bad influence upon the child, and those are rare cases. (There are also very small cases of a birth mother who chooses a closed adoption, and there isn't anything the PAPs can do in that case except indicate that they'd be willing to be open if she changed her mind.)

Adoptees are the ones who live their lives dealing with the effects of being adopted. To say that a closed adoption is for the child's benefit isn't a reality, as shown by this survey.

I am living an open adoption, and even though its what we wanted, I'm finding it to be better than I had even pictured. I'm happy for my daughter that we are doing so. Besides, my needs, even if I had wanted a closed adoption, are not as important to me as my child's needs. For me, it was always a consideration of what is best for the adopted child, not the adoptive parent.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times
Not cherry picking at all. But nothing I say is going to sit well with any supporters of open adoption. I read what I read, and was not convinced to change my thoughts about it. That is all really. Others may do as they wish.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

Absolutely regarding your first question. Somewhat for your second question. Especially given that I'll be adopting from a public agency.

So, if you got information that showed that open adoptions are better for the kids would you welcome it?

You say that you'd be willing to adopt a sibling group as long it includes a baby. Of course that would include older kids who probably already knows their parents, grandparent, aunts, uncles and cousins. Don't you think that losing all that could be a major loss? I'm pretty sure that had my brother and I been adopted when we went into foster care we would have not wanted to have contact cut with extended family, especially grandparents and our older sister who was allowed to stay with friends instead of going to foster care. I believe that I would probably had held that against the foster parents. Is the possibility of that being an issue something that concerns you?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
Adoptees are the ones who live their lives dealing with the effects of being adopted. To say that a closed adoption is for the child's benefit isn't a reality, as shown by this survey.
This.

Not a single adoptee indicated they would have wanted a closed adoption.

This included people who found certain aspects of open adoption challenging in some way.

So is this another one of those smokescreens?

Why not just admit the needs of the adoptee are not viewed as important as the desires of the PAPs?

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 04-08-2013 at 05:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption