U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM

509 posts, read 428,348 times

Advertisements

I just received this link in an email from the adoption agency we used, and I wanted to share immediately. I have only skimmed the first few pages, but it seems like an interesting study (although with obvious limitations).

http://www.heartofthematterseminars....m_medium=email

Most studies focus on adoptive parents, so this is a unique study that hopefully opens the door for more studies, especially as those adoptees involved in open adoption get older and can speak out about their experiences.

Last edited by tiffjoy; 04-04-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM

393 posts, read 443,990 times
Tiff,

I read it the other day - it's very interesting - just to note they are careful to state it is a survey not a study...

Really interesting mix of respondents and how they define open - some meant no secrets so pay attention to that part before you read the rest.

One funny - there are 2.?? % embryo adoptees - I think they could have assumed there were three...got to love math.

Thanks for posting it.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Tiff,

I read it the other day - it's very interesting - just to note they are careful to state it is a survey not a study...

Really interesting mix of respondents and how they define open - some meant no secrets so pay attention to that part before you read the rest.

One funny - there are 2.?? % embryo adoptees - I think they could have assumed there were three...got to love math.

Thanks for posting it.
Thanks for the clarification. I updated the title of the thread.

I haven't had time to really read any of it, but I'm looking forward to it this weekend.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM

1,024 posts, read 864,945 times
Thanks so much for posting this. I hadn't seen it yet. Just skimmed through some of the surveys & there is so much information here! Very interesting for sure.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,517,297 times
Interesting -

I would have liked more definition in some of the results.

At the beginning they described the participants in categories as to what type of adoption they had - 53% said "always closed" - so

The 1st summaries compared the results between "always open" and "closed to open" - probably because the questions concerned dynamics of the relationships with birth families.

What I wish is that the "challenges & benefits" questions that followed were also shown in relation to what type of adoption the person had. Take "Knowing Where I Came From"; 1% said 'not important' and 9% said 'not a benefit'. Who were that 10%? Were they adoptees who had open adoptions or closed? or a mix? I would find that interesting :+) or the challenges - "During Childhood,How challenging was awkwardness in relationships with birth family members" -- did the 39% who said not at all say so because it wasn't? or because they didn't have one? or the 24% who said "Significantly challenging"; was it because there were challenging relationships or because they weren't allowed to have one?

Just my 2 cents - but overall really interesting and glad to see adult adoptees asked. Just found the comparison graphs to be a bit more informative.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Interesting -

I would have liked more definition in some of the results.

At the beginning they described the participants in categories as to what type of adoption they had - 53% said "always closed" - so

The 1st summaries compared the results between "always open" and "closed to open" - probably because the questions concerned dynamics of the relationships with birth families.

What I wish is that the "challenges & benefits" questions that followed were also shown in relation to what type of adoption the person had. Take "Knowing Where I Came From"; 1% said 'not important' and 9% said 'not a benefit'. Who were that 10%? Were they adoptees who had open adoptions or closed? or a mix? I would find that interesting :+) or the challenges - "During Childhood,How challenging was awkwardness in relationships with birth family members" -- did the 39% who said not at all say so because it wasn't? or because they didn't have one? or the 24% who said "Significantly challenging"; was it because there were challenging relationships or because they weren't allowed to have one?

Just my 2 cents - but overall really interesting and glad to see adult adoptees asked. Just found the comparison graphs to be a bit more informative.
In the beginning, I notice they did do that (break down the respondents as " closed" or "always open") but you are right, as it goes on, they stop including that info.

I agree that it would have been nice to know that info for every question.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,517,297 times
Hey, just nit-picking :+) That is my unfortunate nature. Nice find.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 864,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
What I wish is that the "challenges & benefits" questions that followed were also shown in relation to what type of adoption the person had. Take "Knowing Where I Came From"; 1% said 'not important' and 9% said 'not a benefit'. Who were that 10%? Were they adoptees who had open adoptions or closed? or a mix?
Good catch. I find it is usually the people who have the privilege of knowing that feel it is not important, but then there are adoptees from closed adoptions who couldn't care less. I'd like to know the percentages, too. Also if age appeared to factor into it at all -- not sure if they kept track of that. I think I saw somewhere that the average age was somewhere in the mid-twenties.

What is the difference between not important, or not a benefit? Does that mean it can be important to them, but not a benefit?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:32 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,601,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
Good catch. I find it is usually the people who have the privilege of knowing that feel it is not important, but then there are adoptees from closed adoptions who couldn't care less. I'd like to know the percentages, too. Also if age appeared to factor into it at all -- not sure if they kept track of that. I think I saw somewhere that the average age was somewhere in the mid-twenties.

What is the difference between not important, or not a benefit? Does that mean it can be important to them, but not a benefit?
Yeah, I thought there needed to be more clarification. One of the problems with having the respondants having so many definitions of open is that one couldn't really get a clear idea what the numbers were actually representing.

Also, I wouldn't have minded the actual number of respondants in brackets, eg 14% (3), 28% (6) so that one can get idea of how many respondants actually felt a certain way. For example, with the 4% that thought they had too much contact, how many respondants was that in reality? I suspected that there might only be 2 because of the answer to that was 50% exactly for each answer.

That is one thing I did find interesting, i.e. that the majority of respondants in open adoptions felt that either had enough or not enough and hardly any felt they had too much.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,734,563 times
I've read through it. I liked the graphs but agree with others that some more detailed information would have been nice, but hey, it's a survey. It was interesting though. For me it just confirmed our choice for a closed adoption, especially how closed adoptions are defined today.

Also, it will be interesting how today's adopted youth, in adulthood, will view their open adoptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption