U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 AM
 
Location: Not where I want to be
4,827 posts, read 7,245,970 times
Reputation: 7662

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
You would be amazed.

We "adopted" our son's best friend 10 years ago. He was in the 4th grade, our son was in the 5th. He stayed over one weekend...and never left. When school began the following year, we asked the school to put our names down as contacts because he was living with us...they never batted an eye-lash. I was his mom as far as the school was concerned. I called him off sick, I attended his conferences, I picked him up in emergencies, his report cards and such came to our PO Box, etc... the only thing I never did was claim him on our tax return. I have taken him to the ER and gotten treatment for him (they just assume I am him mother...different last names don't mean anything these days) - his medical insurance info was already on file. He just turned 18 and is a senior in HS. I am helping him fill out his FAFSA paperwork as a "displaced" student because he doesn't have access to his mother or father's tax returns.

Becoming a parent to someone else's child is not as "legal" as you would think...

My example aside, if someone wanted to legally give custody to someone else for their minor children...I would also make the assumption that the courts would be involved. What would stop people from selling their children otherwise?

His parents had to have agreed to something. You don't just "keep" an 8 year old child and become his parent because he slept over and never left. There had to be some legal process involved, even if it was just getting a signed/notarized document from the child's parents.

I think it's great that you took him in but don't make it seem as easy as "he slept over and never left".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
9,449 posts, read 10,184,071 times
Reputation: 13206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
His parents had to have agreed to something. You don't just "keep" an 8 year old child and become his parent because he slept over and never left. There had to be some legal process involved, even if it was just getting a signed/notarized document from the child's parents.

I think it's great that you took him in but don't make it seem as easy as "he slept over and never left".

I agree.

Otherwise what's to stop a kidnapping claim there from the boy's family once they decide they want him back? Wouldn't be so difficult to say the child has stockholm syndrome and had been brainwashed to like his captors. If anything, i'd kinda be worried about all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 PM
 
1 posts, read 825 times
Reputation: 10
The problem with people is they like to judge too much. You don't have enough information. there are mothers out there that kill their own children because of judgment they keep their children because they don't want people to think bad of them. You can judge me all you want to because I never could have kids am 55 year old can adopt even an older child id love someone to visit me in the home and give me and unwanted child to love and I promise you, I would only love that mother for giving me so much happiness. who You are you to judge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:10 PM
 
Location: 89074
500 posts, read 612,189 times
Reputation: 850
NBC News did several stories on this in 2013. It's very sad that there is very little oversight to protect these kids.

Parents use underground network to hand off unwanted adopted children - Video on NBCNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 PM
 
5,424 posts, read 2,894,002 times
Reputation: 24318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I guess maybe one should know more of the story before one criticizes this mom.
I totally agree. I have to give some credit to the Mother who realized she was not capable of taking care of her child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 AM
 
16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
Reputation: 26194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebalasco View Post
The problem with people is they like to judge too much. You don't have enough information. there are mothers out there that kill their own children because of judgment they keep their children because they don't want people to think bad of them. You can judge me all you want to because I never could have kids am 55 year old can adopt even an older child id love someone to visit me in the home and give me and unwanted child to love and I promise you, I would only love that mother for giving me so much happiness. who You are you to judge?
There are children waiting for someone like you....Do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 AM
 
16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
Reputation: 26194
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
NBC News did several stories on this in 2013. It's very sad that there is very little oversight to protect these kids.

Parents use underground network to hand off unwanted adopted children - Video on NBCNews.com
This is horrific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top