U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,125,676 times

Advertisements

DH and I are kicking around the idea of adopting an older child from foster care. We are researching all the issues involved, but one thing I thought we had in our favor is decent health insurance. We both work for a university and therefore have insurance through the State. It's not platinum level or anything but not bad for a couple of relatively low-wage workers.
Yesterday my husband talked to someone he knows in HR about the possibility of adding a child to our coverage. According to them our insurance could go up several hundred dollars a month if we adopt a child with any pre-existing conditions, mental or physical! Is this true? Has anyone found a way around this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,927,759 times
I believe Obamacare took care of "pre-existing conditions"...if I am not mistaken, that law begins in 2014. Any adoption you undertake now will not be complete by then anyway. Insurance companies usually charge based on number of people (ie: employee + spouse or employee + children, etc...). I have never seen an insurance company single people out for higher payments based on individual medical issues...I'm not even sure that's legal.

Any child you adopt would simply be added to your insurance as a dependent...in the same way a newborn would be added to the parents insurance as a dependent.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM

9,110 posts, read 17,047,857 times
Most Group plans Do Not have exclusion's for Pre-Existing Conditions.

But Changes from 2 Employee Only to The Emp+Child plan will have one of you going up to ~$105 PerPay period from ~$35/each PerPay Period.

A 'older' child should come with Adoption Assistance $'s, and should come with a Medicaid card (or whatever KS calls there plan). The Medicaid will be secondary to your primary insurance, but should eliminate any co/pay when it goes thru coordination of benefits.

And you should get a $12.9K Federal Tax Credit also when your finalize your adoption of special needs child (your will need to get a statement that the child is special need (age, race, etc.) from the child social worker). The Tax Credit is now refundable, (But just about all of them get audited so expect to wail till 3/4Q of the year you file to get the refund).

http://www.kdheks.gov/hcf/sehp/activ...eCompChart.pdf

Update: The 12.9K is not longer Refundable past your normal tax liabilities (at least in 2012 it was not). So you might need to do some tax planning for the year you take the credit, to boost your tax'es that year, so you can take full use of the credit. (maybe convert so IRA's to Roth's, so you have to 'pay' more tax that year for the credit to offset it.). Suggest you talk with a tax prof, that know Adoption Credit tax rules, and how to get the best use of them.

Last edited by flyonpa; 05-31-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,980,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
A 'older' child should come with Adoption Assistance $'s, and should come with a Medicaid card (or whatever KS calls there plan). The Medicaid will be secondary to your primary insurance, but should eliminate any co/pay when it goes thru coordination of benefits.
This^^. Only one difference, OP your insurance would be considered secondary. They usually don't recommend you discontinue Medicaid for children adopted through foster care. Their insurance is premium and covers just about everything. It continues even after adoption. So, I'd just add him/her to your policy as a secondary coverage to cover some elective procedures that might carry a higher co-pay or out-of-pocket expense.

Here's a link with more information: Medicaid Coverage of Children Adopted from Foster Care

Your state agency will have more specifics, but I believe if the child goes to college, you can apply to have the coverage extended to age 21 or so. I don't have the exact age off the top of my head.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,125,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Most Group plans Do Not have exclusion's for Pre-Existing Conditions.

But Changes from 2 Employee Only to The Emp+Child plan will have one of you going up to ~$105 PerPay period from ~$35/each PerPay Period.

And you should get a $12.9K Federal Tax Credit also when your finalize your adoption of special needs child (your will need to get a statement that the child is special need (age, race, etc.) from the child social worker). The Tax Credit is now refundable, (But just about all of them get audited so expect to wail till 3/4Q of the year you file to get the refund).

http://www.kdheks.gov/hcf/sehp/activ...eCompChart.pdf

Update: The 12.9K is not longer Refundable past your normal tax liabilities (at least in 2012 it was not). So you might need to do some tax planning for the year you take the credit, to boost your tax'es that year, so you can take full use of the credit. (maybe convert so IRA's to Roth's, so you have to 'pay' more tax that year for the credit to offset it.). Suggest you talk with a tax prof, that know Adoption Credit tax rules, and how to get the best use of them.
My understanding is that Kansas doesn't consider a child "special needs" due to age until they are 12 years old. We were thinking closer to 8 or 9 but we'll see. I understand that pretty much all children in the system have special needs but the definition in Kansas seems to be fairly strict.

I do appreciate the information and I'll look over it carefully.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,010,430 times
When we adopted our daughter she was just added to our existing policy, we were never asked any questions about pre-existing conditions. In our state at least a child adopted from Fostercare is eligible for Medicaid.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,860,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
This^^. Only one difference, OP your insurance would be considered secondary. They usually don't recommend you discontinue Medicaid for children adopted through foster care. Their insurance is premium and covers just about everything. It continues even after adoption. So, I'd just add him/her to your policy as a secondary coverage to cover some elective procedures that might carry a higher co-pay or out-of-pocket expense.

Here's a link with more information: Medicaid Coverage of Children Adopted from Foster Care

Your state agency will have more specifics, but I believe if the child goes to college, you can apply to have the coverage extended to age 21 or so. I don't have the exact age off the top of my head.
This is correct.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,944,669 times
Kansas just contracted out their Medicaid system to three insurance companies of which one can make a choice. My son who is an adult with disabilities hasn't used the new system yet so I don't know how it will work. There was a lot of opposition to implementing the system which is suppose to save the state money. It is called KanCare.

"Special Needs", as in disabilities or just being older and/or minority might make a difference. We tried to adopt an older child through the state of KS but it was a lost cause for reasons too numerous to list. We were approved but the social worker felt every child would be not right for us since our older child was so bright and active. We adopted through a private agency.

We had our son on our health insurance until he became an adult. My husband learned not to mention that our son has a disability as once he was offered a job and accepted but when he asked if the health insurance would cover our son, the job offer disappeared.

The family premium is quite a bite higher because it doesn't matter if you have one child or six, it is the same premium. We tried to get a private policy with our son at one point and they refused to take us because of our son even though he was healthy and never had and still doesn't have anything outside the normal expenses like everyone else. I don't know if Obamacare will impact this or not.

It just seems there is always a way around any legislation that they pass. You cannot pass a law to make people fair and decent.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,652,933 times
I'm not sure how insurance would work in a foster to adopt situation but I will share that our daughter was denied coverage as an infant from our health insurance company because she was adopted internationally and we didn't have a family medical history. My hisband luckily changed jobs and the new comoany covered her. At age 9 she continues to be beautifully healthy and visits the doctor on average once a year for her check up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption