U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,304,713 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have a question about adoption from foster care that's a bit specific. I would like to know the length of time it took you to adopt a child from foster care (in the United States) who was not already placed in your home. Excluding the training classes and homestudy time period, how long did it take you from being connected to a child/children and the kid/kids being placed in your home on the road to adoption?

I know there is also a waiting period before the final adoption takes place, but I'm curious about the length of time from identifying a child to placement. I know it will vary from case to case, so I'd like to hear a few different answers.

Also if any of you have done the above with a child or children from another state, I would like to hear your information as well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,980,069 times
Hi Annie3,

Well, I'm answering you here because I'm still in the process...but technically, it can happen in one day to three years. It depends on what you are looking for. The age of the child; race/ethnicity; single child or open to sibling groups; open to disabilities, etc.

We have been in the process for just over one year, but this includes EVERYTHING. Our county is really busy and understaffed. This is not the norm. We've been very, very patient. I've heard and seen placements occur as little as six months (including everything, paperwork, home study, etc.) to three years! It really depends on what the foster to adopt parents are looking for...hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks for your response, Jaded!

Does anyone else have an adoption from foster care story they can share?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,047,857 times
About 7 weeks. Two weeks of reviewing his 'book' 5 weeks from 1st meeting him, to him being in home. FosterCare'ed him for 13 month then adopted him
Was 9 when i fostered 10 when i adopted him.

There is a 6month 'in foster' period before you can move to adopt. Then few month for the state get the paperwork / court date .

Part of the push for timing was to get him in my home before school started, so he would not have to change schools (again). We missed that by 3 days, but his old fosterhome kept him @ home and did not have him start school in another 'new' school. I think we would have made the date, but getting paperwork done across 4 different countries took little longer than expected.

Last edited by flyonpa; 07-01-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 PM

Wow, that's great! Thanks for your response!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM

27 posts, read 32,389 times
Annie .. we are looking at this as well; I too appreciate reading the responses we are working towards finding an agency for homestudy right now.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 PM

95 posts, read 140,120 times
It varies from state to state and each case. We had a little girl for two years and were done with the home study (everything approved quickly) when the court returned her to her parents. The social workers told us this was the only case in all their years that went past 18 months and resulted in reunification not adoption. I am glad the parents finally got their act together, but sad for us because we fell in love with the little girl.

I hope your case goes well. We are going to try fostering again next year.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,896,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmom99 View Post
It varies from state to state and each case. We had a little girl for two years and were done with the home study (everything approved quickly) when the court returned her to her parents. The social workers told us this was the only case in all their years that went past 18 months and resulted in reunification not adoption. I am glad the parents finally got their act together, but sad for us because we fell in love with the little girl.

I hope your case goes well. We are going to try fostering again next year.
Just curious, how old was the little girl when you got her?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 PM

95 posts, read 140,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Just curious, how old was the little girl when you got her?
She came to us at 2 years and 3 months old. That was the second time she was removed from the home, we did not have her the first time around. She left us at 4 years 6 months old.

The parents were letting us see her once a month for a weekend. But they have stopped all contact.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 PM

18,260 posts, read 20,548,123 times
We worked with a couple that adopted through their welfare agency after the home study, parenting classes, police & financial background checks they were then put into a statewide system for the child/children they said they'd adopt. They chose under 3 no mental or handicap disabilities (have to respect their wishes for what they felt they could deal with) and it took 1 1/2 years for their first child. They adopted 2 more the same way in less time since they were in the system they were moved up ahead of first time parents. None of their children were over the age of 2 at time of placement.

The most important factor was making sure the biological parents rights were terminated before being interviewed for a child. Once the bios are terminated in our state (Indiana) they can no longer be placed back with them. As least that was the law then it could have changed but I don't think so.

Also they won't place a child for adoption in the same county they live in to stop any problems of being in public running into the bio families. Not sure but I believe our friends said they wouldn't even place a child from a neighboring county either.

Good luck and thank you for thinking about adopting from our foster care system. I have no ill feelings for folks that adopt overseas but I don't understand it when there are children here that needs forever homes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or