Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM

23,905 posts, read 32,215,880 times

Advertisements

I learned yesterday during a skype conversation with a Ukrainian friend that Ukraine will be joining the European Union.

It's not surprising - they are a poor country and their geographical position next to Russia has historically made them vulnerable to attack. "Ukraine" means literally "the Borderland". The country that boarders Russia and Western Europe.

Joining the EU - my friend tells me - will have many economic benefits for Ukraine. My friend is a professor of Global Economy and she is rather passionate about economics and her country.

The EU will demand economic reform of Ukraine and one thing that the EU has historically "reformed" is adoption. They effectively closed adoption in Romania. I would not be at all surprised if they did the same in Ukraine.

I think that this would be sad and tragic for the many children who await adoption in that countries many state sponsored "children's homes".

Of course this is far from a "done deal" - but when Ukraine joins the EU - and it is a "when" and not an "if" - I am sure that "reforms" will be made.

Ukraine remains an affordable international adoption venue for families who seek to adopt overseas.

I do not know that this is a fact - but in chatting with my friend and examining the history of the "economic reforms" demanded by the EU we both think that it is likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,826,211 times
If I recall correctly, it was the media exposure of hell-hole orphanages that shut down adoption from Romania, rather than membership in the EU. I'm not even sure the EU existed when Romania banned international adoptions - need to do some date-checking.

But - this is worrisome news. Ukraine has its share of less than great orphanages and institutions, and funding is not adequate for such places to begin with, though most orphanage directors and caretakers do the best they can with what they have. I have not heard any discussion of this or read anything about it, so please keep us posted if you find any sources beyond your friend - thanks for the heads-up. As you state, it would be a tragic mistake, given current conditions in Ukraine.

Okay, just did a quick check - it seems that the negative publicity about Romania's orphanages coincided with EU criticism of the terrible orphanage conditions, back around 2000-2001. Romania responded by shutting down international adoption to all but Romanian citizens living abroad or extended family members (also living abroad) of orphaned children.

It's easier and cheaper to shut down adoption than it is to correct the massive deficiencies which then existed. Since few Westerners have visited Romanian orphanages and mental institutions since then, current conditions are largely unreported.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,066,263 times
They won't close it. Bulgaria, and other countries, are in the EU and aren't closed. However, it is said that Ukraine is trying to go all foster care and close the orphanages.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:43 PM

I think that is anyone is set on Ukraine as an adoption destination that they should do their own research and be cautious because it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

It's terribly ironic to me that a country with many orphans living in terrible conditions - I reference Romania here - would be shut down because there are "terrible conditions". It makes absolutely no sense.

These children need homes.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,300,318 times
What is happening with your Ukrainian adoptions, Sheena?

Weren't you adopting three siblings at one time?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Thank you for asking susankate! We had originally decided to put it off for a year because of our recent move and the fact that our eldest entered university last year and our daughter will be doing the same in two years.

Now we are feeling that we should being the paperwork around the first of this year. We don't know yet how many we will adopt - but our goal is at least two. A sibling set would be nice all around. In Ukraine the presence of one boy in a sibling group is a "deal breaker" when it comes to domestic adoption or their nascent foster care system.

Boys are not valued by that culture for complicated reasons. It's sad really.

We are open to a sibling set of up to three with children of both genders.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,382,858 times
I had been wondering too, was just curious. Like you posted, prob. beginning the paperwork soon is best given the current situation plus it could get more involved given your health etc (any PAP's health, as we age). Adopting 2 or even 3 would be so nice (huge change of lifestyle), we never cared about the sex of our children, it really didn't matter to us (have both but having 2 or 3 of one sex w/h/b fine too). Best of luck and keep us posted when you can.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,826,211 times
Ukraine really does send potential adoptive parents on a complex paperchase! Expect a huge stack before you're ready to submit, and do be aware that documents can expire - Ukraine used to require that everything be no older than six months, and almost everything had to be apostiled, signed in black ink, no signatures could overlap any print on the document, etc.

So - locate documents like birth certificates, marriage licences, etc., but don't get them apostiled or have a home study done before you're pretty sure of your intended travel plans too - it can be a costly process in some states (charges vary), and you don't want to have to repeat anything needlessly.

There are many wonderful older boys (and girls!) in Ukraine, waiting and eager to be adopted. Adoptive American families must commit to adopt such children before their sixteenth birthday, as required by US law. The plight of many older kids who do not find adoptive families or who are not reunited with their biological families is quite tragic, all too frequently, though the Ukrainian government is trying harder now to help these teens, some no older than 16 and on their own after leaving the orphanages. They are entitled to vocational education (stuff like brickmaking, hairdressing, etc - not much future in such work) or higher education (which they rarely receive) by Ukrainian law, and are given small stipends, but have few other resources, and housing for such "students" is typically very dilapidated and often very unsafe.

Many orphanage graduates turn to alcohol, drugs, crime, and prostitution. The rate of alcoholism is extremely high - vodka is cheaper than bottled water in most of Ukraine - as is the AIDS/HIV rate (often inherited from biological parents). Ukraine is doing a better job of making retrovirals available to infected institutionalized kids nowadays, and as long as they continue to take such meds, they can expect normal lives and normal lifespans.

The futures of orphaned children who have special needs (even quite mild special needs) is far worse...sadly, this is also the case in much of the developing world. There are glimmers of hope here and there for these children, and many great outcomes for those who've been adopted - but heartbreaking situations are still far too common in far too many places. It's a great travesty, and a great waste of human life and potential.

Sheena, this info. is not intended for you and Warren [I know you're well-aware of all this!], but is for anyone else who might be interested in adopting or helping adoptive families or orphaned kids from Ukraine. I hope your plans to adopt work out well.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Ukraine really does send potential adoptive parents on a complex paperchase! Expect a huge stack before you're ready to submit, and do be aware that documents can expire - Ukraine used to require that everything be no older than six months, and almost everything had to be apostiled, signed in black ink, no signatures could overlap any print on the document, etc.

So - locate documents like birth certificates, marriage licences, etc., but don't get them apostiled or have a home study done before you're pretty sure of your intended travel plans too - it can be a costly process in some states (charges vary), and you don't want to have to repeat anything needlessly.

There are many wonderful older boys (and girls!) in Ukraine, waiting and eager to be adopted. Adoptive American families must commit to adopt such children before their sixteenth birthday, as required by US law. The plight of many older kids who do not find adoptive families or who are not reunited with their biological families is quite tragic, all too frequently, though the Ukrainian government is trying harder now to help these teens, some no older than 16 and on their own after leaving the orphanages. They are entitled to vocational education (stuff like brickmaking, hairdressing, etc - not much future in such work) or higher education (which they rarely receive) by Ukrainian law, and are given small stipends, but have few other resources, and housing for such "students" is typically very dilapidated and often very unsafe.

Many orphanage graduates turn to alcohol, drugs, crime, and prostitution. The rate of alcoholism is extremely high - vodka is cheaper than bottled water in most of Ukraine - as is the AIDS/HIV rate (often inherited from biological parents). Ukraine is doing a better job of making retrovirals available to infected institutionalized kids nowadays, and as long as they continue to take such meds, they can expect normal lives and normal lifespans.

The futures of orphaned children who have special needs (even quite mild special needs) is far worse...sadly, this is also the case in much of the developing world. There are glimmers of hope here and there for these children, and many great outcomes for those who've been adopted - but heartbreaking situations are still far too common in far too many places. It's a great travesty, and a great waste of human life and potential.

Sheena, this info. is not intended for you and Warren [I know you're well-aware of all this!], but is for anyone else who might be interested in adopting or helping adoptive families or orphaned kids from Ukraine. I hope your plans to adopt work out well.

I know CC. But it does bear repeating.

I love your passion about Ukraine. It is a very unique and special country and while the paperwork is daunting as compared to other countries - it remains relatively affordable in the world on international adoption.

For married heterosexual couples open to adopting a child who is over age five it's a viable choice.

Having hosted many children from that country and advocated for them - I can safely say that most do not have issues that preclude fitting into an average family. They adapt very quickly and language is seldom a problem.

It would be my greatest wish to see all of the orphanages of Ukraine emptied.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,066,263 times
It's also a great choice for those married heterosexual couples who want to adopt a child with special needs of any age (since they can be adopted internationally under five).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption