Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

somebody really dropped the ball here. just another example of how poorly prospective adoptive parents are educated, vetted and prepared.

Ohio Couple Indicted for Returning Adopted 9-Year-Old Son - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times
Oh my gosh…so sad. I wouldn't (make that "couldn't") even return a pet, let alone a child.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I half way expected this to be another story about an older child who was adopted and it didn't work out but they had him since he was an infant. Unreal.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
somebody really dropped the ball here. just another example of how poorly prospective adoptive parents are educated, vetted and prepared.

Ohio Couple Indicted for Returning Adopted 9-Year-Old Son - ABC News
Insanity. You adopt, that child is yours, same as giving birth. Children are not commodities. We don't trade them for a better model.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times
My DH told me about this yesterday. These people should stand trial and I hope they go to jail! Nine years...are you kidding me!$&@!

Old 11-18-2013, 05:15 PM

286 posts, read 450,256 times
I was following him until he cited Forest Gump.. I get what he's saying though.

I hope to adopt one day.
When adopting I believe it is helpful to understand the long standing debate over Nature v Nurture.

Nature says one's personality is predetermined based on their genes.

Nurture says one's personality is determined based upon their upbringing.

I believe it's 60/40 which is why you should be prepared to deal with everything before you adopt. I feel really sorry for the poor boy.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Actually - while I don't support this couple's efforts to "return" their child - it appears that they have tried many alternative treatments, including counseling and residential care, in an effort to deal with his issues, which seem to include acting out violently and endangering his siblings. From the description, it sounds as if this child has RAD, which is notoriously difficult to treat effectively.

So I can see why the parents were at their wits' end. There need to be better options available for families who are dealing with such situations. There are no winners here, and my pity goes out not only to the child, but also to his siblings and parents.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:11 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Actually - while I don't support this couple's efforts to "return" their child - it appears that they have tried many alternative treatments, including counseling and residential care, in an effort to deal with his issues, which seem to include acting out violently and endangering his siblings. From the description, it sounds as if this child has RAD, which is notoriously difficult to treat effectively.

So I can see why the parents were at their wits' end. There need to be better options available for families who are dealing with such situations. There are no winners here, and my pity goes out not only to the child, but also to his siblings and parents.
I agree. It seems there should have been some alternative that didn't seem to be there. It is easy to say that you wouldn't do something but unless you have walked in those shoes, I don't think you really know. Most mental health services are not adequate and finding any kind of support for the parents, I don't even think that exists. Getting the feeling that no one understands and that you're doing everything humanly possible and nothing it getting better leaves one rather desperate. When no one understands the desperation, sometimes you just run out of options.

When they started that drop off and didn't specify the 30 day for infants, they had older children and teens being dropped off and if I remember right, even people bringing kids from out of state.

I can understand their desperation and for the most part, the system sucks and the help isn't there. What should they do? There should have been an answer where everyone would have felt safe.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Insanity. You adopt, that child is yours, same as giving birth. Children are not commodities. We don't trade them for a better model.
You are right bur at the same time you don't want to leave a child with a couple who doesn't want it.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:26 PM

531 posts, read 758,403 times
A lot of tax dollar was is will be wasted without any good result coming out from this case.

The law want to waste more tax money to punish the parents in order to punish these parents' kids?

So making one kid suffer is not enough and we want to make everyone in that family suffer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption