U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM

4,260 posts, read 6,326,456 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd share this because I found it a ver moving story and I remember the incident that precipitated it. In a nutshell: During the crack epidemic, a man in a domestic dispute and u nder thei fluence went ona rampage and killed ten people in one apartment, with the only survivor a bably, who was found crawling among the bloody corpses. One thing led to another and as the baby grew up, she became closer to the cop who had found here in the midst of the massacre. She became like the mom she never had and ultimately, thirty years after the bloodbath, the cop and her husband legally adopted the girl.

I just think its marvelous. One of those stories that reminds me that sometimes love really is all you need.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/ny...tory.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
A beautiful story and I remember this horrible crime. I hope this young woman finally finds the peace and love she deserves...and the ahole who killed her mother never gets out of prison.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,982,402 times
I'm so moved by this. Started to tear up halfway through the story. Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 AM

45 posts, read 113,950 times
Wow, i have no parents either..it reminded me of my grandmother who i wish would have adopted me before she passed.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 AM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight01 View Post
Wow, i have no parents either..it reminded me of my grandmother who i wish would have adopted me before she passed.
Of course I know nothing about you or your story but be aware sometimes adoption doesn't take place for many reasons, most having to do with finances. A foster child can receive some government support while most adopted children cannot.

I had a friend who was named guardian for her son's kids when he died of cancer as a single parent. The friend (grandmother) looked into all the legal and financial ramifications with attorneys and decided she and the kids would be better served not adopting the children. It came down to things likes scholarship opportunities and many other things.

I also knew elderly people who had no children but some relatives they did not like or want to inherit any of their assets when they died. They had a long standing friendship with a grown woman who took care of them and they wanted to leave everything to her. Attorneys advised the best way to do this was to adopt her. So at age 45 this woman was adopted and there was a huge celebration. It was a win/win for everybody and a very happy day.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:14 PM

18,601 posts, read 23,161,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Just thought I'd share this because I found it a ver moving story and I remember the incident that precipitated it. In a nutshell: During the crack epidemic, a man in a domestic dispute and u nder thei fluence went ona rampage and killed ten people in one apartment, with the only survivor a bably, who was found crawling among the bloody corpses. One thing led to another and as the baby grew up, she became closer to the cop who had found here in the midst of the massacre. She became like the mom she never had and ultimately, thirty years after the bloodbath, the cop and her husband legally adopted the girl.

I just think its marvelous. One of those stories that reminds me that sometimes love really is all you need.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/ny...tory.html?_r=0

Really amazing story! Thank you for sharing it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or