Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,391,830 times

Advertisements

Yes I've deleted posts. Agree to disagree and start discussing the case and not one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,385,905 times
Quote:
Supporting THIS PARTICULAR couple, is indeed supporting people who illegally
keep children away from parents because they think they can do better - even if
the courts disagree. Is that really what you want? Really? I'd be very wary of
that indeed.
It's too late to edit my post but I think it needs to be said that parenting isn't up for grabs on a "who can do better" basis...there is a baseline of safety and appropriateness to the situation. If "who can do better" was the criteria, any parent on any given day, could lose rights. The court's job isn't to decide who can do better as long as the baseline is met.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,786,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It's too late to edit my post but I think it needs to be said that parenting isn't up for grabs on a "who can do better" basis...there is a baseline of safety and appropriateness to the situation. If "who can do better" was the criteria, any parent on any given day, could lose rights. The court's job isn't to decide who can do better as long as the baseline is met.
Also, there's truly no way to predict if the Hodgins or Sonya's father can do it better because the end product takes 18 years, and kids don't always turn out as anticipated.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Also, there's truly no way to predict if the Hodgins or Sonya's father can do it better because the end product takes 18 years, and kids don't always turn out as anticipated.
Agreed. "Better" is very subjective. Which is exactly why a baseline of what is safe and "fit" is the only thing that applies. Otherwise anyone could pretty much justify anything. Political and social beliefs I find ugly, might well be something I believe a child shouldn't be raised with. The law protects even those we find distasteful. There is a reason Lady Liberty is depicted as blindfolded.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-24-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 01:37 PM

15,998 posts, read 20,999,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Bio dad is certainly no father of the year, but to me it seems the state of TN and the local authorities royally botched this from the get go. I don't understand why they didn't immediately send Sonya back to the custody of Nebraska until a determination could be made on the fitness of the father and or grandmother. And once she was determined fit to parent the child during her son's incarceration, I don't understand why they didn't enforce that determination. Further, I don't understand why they didn't enforce a transition plan for the child when it was determined she would be returned to the bio dad.

If its true the adoptive parents stood in the way of that transition plan, then they are not particularly fit parents either imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
I'll admit it goes back to an issue that always bothers me - consistency across states. TN is the only state which has no time conditions for residency. To most this child would have seemed a resident of the state she normally resided in and the states would cooperate in these matters. NE would also have reviewed her status and that of her father's custody and that would have been the end of it.

Every parent needs to depend on a consistent legal system.

Later in the case: NE law states that parental rights cannot be terminated solely because a parent is incarcerated. They may refrain from petitioning if a relative is caring for the child.

Every parent needs to depend on a consistent legal system.

I 'defend' the father on legalities, not because I pretend know every detail of his or anyone's else's lives, but because I want to depend on a consistent legal system & choose not to defend those who try to game it.
TN definitely needs to get it's act together, this is not the first case where a childs life has been unnecessarily complicated and disrupted because the system is botched.
Custody battle for Anna Mae He - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't know the answer, maybe some sort of joint visitation while things are sorted out, but keeping the child solely with the family that 'stole/rescued' them only seems to lead to more heartbreak further down the road.

Personally I think the woman who took the kid to TN and didn't bring her back should face charges. She had absolutely no right to determine where that child belonged. If she was concerned for the child's well being she should have taken it through the proper channels.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Personally I think the woman who took the kid to TN and didn't bring her back should face charges. She had absolutely no right to determine where that child belonged. If she was concerned for the child's well being she should have taken it through the proper channels.
Yep.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:21 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,599,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The parents fought to keep her, as any parents would. She wants to stay with her family. I think that her wishes should be respected.

She is not a piece of property. So bio-dad is out of jail now, and wants to get his property back?

There is also the fact that the child is accustomed to a certain type of lifestyle.

He screwed up and was sent to prison and now she has to pay for his mistake, by exchanging a happy life with two loving, financially stable parents for a house that reeks of mold and cigaret smoke? She's in another part of the country, her life has been ripped from her; and no one on this forum sees anything wrong with this.

I'm appalled.
I agree with you, Sheena.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
That call was made within 24 hours of her going to Nebraska. The most recent court hearing (this week), it was made clear that the child is now thriving - Student of the Month at her new school and involved in activities.

He's been found to be a fit parent. Whether we agree with 100% of his parenting choices or not, that's what matters.
I didn't get that she was/is student of the month at her new school. I thought I had looked for that, can you post a link ? The "thriving" comment was from the case worker that wanted a restraining order against the adoptive parents.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
, one of my area's biggest drug kings was arrested for trafficking drugs and weapons. When he got out on parole, he signed is son up for boy scouts in my son's troop.

Honestly, he wasn't a terrible person. (He (probably)furnished drugs to kids/parents He was just one of those brilliant geniuses who went into an illegal business. Oh, okay. If you think he wasn't brilliant because he got caught, you're wrong. He had the foresight to protect almost all of his assets. (his ill gotten gains) He was/is still incredibly wealthy.

So it's the guns. What about Oliver North? He wasn't convicted either but he admitted his heavy involvement in drug and weapons trafficking. I never heard Ollie was involved in drug trafficking. Furnishing weapons to the Iranians and then the contras.....yes.

Oliver North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The scandal involved the clandestine sale of weapons to Iran, which was to encourage the release of U.S. hostages then held in Lebanon. North formulated the second part of the plan which was to divert proceeds from the arms sales to support the Contra rebel groups in Nicaragua (which had been specifically prohibited under the Boland Amendment)....snipped

Oliver North, Fortunate Felon - NYTimes.com
Quote:
His punishment of 1,200 hours of community service, $150,000 fine and three years' suspended sentence doesn't fit his felonies.
Quote:

Perhaps uniquely among convicted felons, Mr. North escapes prison largely because he still will not acknowledge that what he did was a crime and a perversion of public service. ''Jail would only harden your misconceptions,'' said the trial judge, Gerhard Gesell.

red and underlined is mine.

All of these cases of parental rights and adoptees usually end badly and sadly.

I think the lady who is the childs advocate is grossly overstepping her authority to speak publickly about the case. She does not sound very objective to me and does sound vindictive.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
My wife was a CASA when we previously lived in another state. I think your assumptions about CASAs are wrong.
I agree. There are some very good CASA volunteers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption