U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,122,449 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm done with this thread. I hope it works out, for the childs sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 12:55 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,987,837 times
Update: Sonya McCaul custody case back in Dickson County courtroom - WKRN News 2

Looks like the defamation case was dismissed and the adoptive parents have officially petitioned to adopt her. They are also requesting a new guardian ad litem. Hopefully, for the girl's sake, this is all resolved soon.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:36 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,425,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The parents fought to keep her, as any parents would. She wants to stay with her family. I think that her wishes should be respected.

She is not a piece of property. So bio-dad is out of jail now, and wants to get his property back?

There is also the fact that the child is accustomed to a certain type of lifestyle.

He screwed up and was sent to prison and now she has to pay for his mistake, by exchanging a happy life with two loving, financially stable parents for a house that reeks of mold and cigaret smoke? She's in another part of the country, her life has been ripped from her; and no one on this forum sees anything wrong with this.

I'm appalled.
Hmmm i see where your comming from, the problem is if the standard of being a good parent was good financial stability, then we should go back to the days where the state took poor children away from mothers at birth and sent them to be adopted. So with your thinking, the following should apply too?

Continue next post

Old 07-13-2014, 01:50 AM

@sheena12

Continue from last post:

That if one parent should kidnap a child and go some place and setup home for years before getting caught, because that home is all that child knows then we shouldn't return the child to the parent who the child was kidnaped from?

Old 07-13-2014, 02:45 AM

As i read the first five pages of this thread, it kinda stuck me that financial class of this parent has alot to do with the argument against him. Man spooky, can you imagine if our country ran on the ideal that you only have first admendment rights if you have 10,000 in your savings account. Or you can only vote if you own property and a mule lol. Never have i seen the ability to hold a child or love a child or nurture a child be based on what kind of job the parent has or anything physical? I think we fall into this trap that money=morals, values too much? Rights are automatic and should be assumed soo. Any and all parents should be assumed fit and proper intel actions with there children say otherwise. No parent should have to prove his/her value as a parent first before having the right to parent, that isn't a democratic way of thinking. No parent married, unwed or divorced should have to ask permission to visit there kid from another parent or judge etc. The best interest of children besides to be loved

Old 07-13-2014, 02:49 AM

By his or her parent is also to be protected from outside forces that interfere with what is best for them.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 AM

72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
My heart goes out to this poor little and her parents or the people she knows as her parents.

I do admit, it appears dads parental rights were violated and no, the family that has raised her apparently didn't have the right to adopt her, but it is time we have to think of what is best for the Sonja. is she better off in a sub par living situation with a man that is an ex con or is she better off in a loving family with both a mom and dad? And believe it or not, yes material issues do enter into this.

Of course no one wants to see us return to the days when the county or state could simply split families up and put kids in orphanages because they were poor, but this case goes a little deeper. If dad wins the case, this little girl will have to give up the life style she is accustom to and live in, what could be an unsafe home.

The father thinks she is a piece of property like Sheena said or it appears he does. Is he really interested in bonding with his daughter or getting even with the system? So she appears to be thriving because she was student of the month. That is a matter of opinion and I would guess, if the home situation is, as it appears, based on how she has been raised she would stand out from the others. I am guessing the school isn't in a happy, well adjusted, middle class neighborhood.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM

3,723 posts, read 4,593,247 times
You don't get to steal other people's children because you think you are better than them or have more money than them.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:41 AM

@nmnita

I hear what your saying, i agree the adoption family would of made excellent parents. The problem with your argument is, this lil girl already has a fit biological parent. Sure we may not like that he served time or his income level or compared to the adoption family he looks like a bum. None of those things should matter. He is fit because no professional or court has found him to be unfit. Too go beyond that standard sets us up for worse things in the future. Who knows what will happen? Children change things. She my be successful with her daddy.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:52 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,987,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My heart goes out to this poor little and her parents or the people she knows as her parents.

I do admit, it appears dads parental rights were violated and no, the family that has raised her apparently didn't have the right to adopt her, but it is time we have to think of what is best for the Sonja. is she better off in a sub par living situation with a man that is an ex con or is she better off in a loving family with both a mom and dad? And believe it or not, yes material issues do enter into this.

Of course no one wants to see us return to the days when the county or state could simply split families up and put kids in orphanages because they were poor, but this case goes a little deeper. If dad wins the case, this little girl will have to give up the life style she is accustom to and live in, what could be an unsafe home.

The father thinks she is a piece of property like Sheena said or it appears he does. Is he really interested in bonding with his daughter or getting even with the system? So she appears to be thriving because she was student of the month. That is a matter of opinion and I would guess, if the home situation is, as it appears, based on how she has been raised she would stand out from the others. I am guessing the school isn't in a happy, well adjusted, middle class neighborhood.
Excellent points nmnita...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or