U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,601,870 times

Advertisements

Well, I used to be a skiptracer and I still love snooping around, so DM me if you want some help. I love this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,941,333 times
I wonder if the couple suspected of being the birth parents actually took the baby of someone else that did not want to raise it for whatever reason to IN and relinquished the child. Is it possible that they considered adopting since they had the miscarriages but changed their minds once they received the child and thus disrupted the adoption. I can't remember if your husband was an infant at the time of adoption. I agree with another post that perhaps the child was a result of an affair, maybe dad was gone during the conception. That was the swinging 60's! It is intriguing.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:49 PM

27 posts, read 22,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
perhaps the child was a result of an affair.
Or perhaps a rape. There are so many potential ways to consider and weigh the digging consequences against.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM

4,754 posts, read 4,304,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I've been thinking about doing that too. Supposedly, my bio dad is full-blooded Cherokee, which makes me 1/8th. In my line of work, that makes me a Native American woman and I would qualify to get government contracts as an 8A set-aside. But it costs like $1200 to find out, and frankly, I don't plan on going into business for myself any time soon

Good luck on your search. I like hearing about this kind of thing.
If your birth dad is full blooded, wouldn't that make you 1/2?

For everyone else, don't do 23andme - their results have been shown to be incorrect and they've been warned by the FDA. Find another more reliable company.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:32 AM

23,248 posts, read 28,060,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
For everyone else, don't do 23andme - their results have been shown to be incorrect and they've been warned by the FDA. Find another more reliable company.
The issue that the FDA has with 23AndMe has nothing to do with the accuracy of the results. The FDA had concerns about direct to consumer marketing of the medical side of the company's DNA tests.

The genealogy results are still available and no less reliable than those from other companies.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,977,747 times
Can you ask the woman whose name is on the adoption papers if she or her husband had any connection with the law firm, doctor, hospital? If she can't recall, start researching it. There has to be a connection there because their names weren't pulled out of thin air.

You say they were affluent. What did her deceased husband do for a living? Was he a lawyer? A doctor? A hospital administrator? Research the family tree of both her family and her deceased

husband's family. There might be a sibling that lived in Indiana. This is how I would approach the mystery. You have two names of people you are absolutely certain could not be anyone else. If you truly believe they are not the parents, there is still a connection.

Has it ever occurred to you that your husband could be an illegitimate child of that couple? She'd be adamant he wasn't hers if he was put up for adoption because she had an affair. Or maybe her husband had an affair, and she never knew about it.

Your answer is the connection with this affluent family. Their names weren't pulled out of thin air. Either the doctor, lawyer, or hospital has an affiliation with the couple and used their name without their knowing it, or the adoptive mother is related to them and used their name. Look for any relatives that ended up in Indiana. Even cousins.

You can also research a possible friend connection. For example, if the deceased husband is a doctor, check out the background of the doctor on the adoption records. If they both attended medical school together, there's your connection. Same with law school, high school, or just town where they grew up.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I've been thinking about doing that too. Supposedly, my bio dad is full-blooded Cherokee, which makes me 1/8th.
Where did you come up with 1/8? If he's 100%, you're 1/2.

My mother is 100% Irish, so I'm 1/2 Irish. The other 1/2 is a mix of my father being English (1/4) Scottish (1/4) and French (1/2). So I'm 1/2 Irish, 1/4 French, 1/8 Scottish and 1/8 English.

My children are 1/4 Irish, 1/8 French, 1/16 Scottish, 1/16 English, 1/4 polish (paternal grandmother 100%) and 1/4 german (paternal grandfather 100%). My sister married someone who is half Irish and Italian. Her children are 1/2 Irish because there's 1/2 Irish in both parents, 1/8 French, 1/16 Scottish, 1/16 English, and 1/4 Italian.

A parent who is 100% gives you a 1/2 (if the other parent isn't also the same heritage). Your children will be 1/4 Cherokee based on your 1/2. If your husband has Cherokee too, your children would have a greater percentage of Cherokee. If he was half Cherokee, your children would be 1/2 Cherokee (with 1/4 from you and 1/4 from your husband). If your husband was 100% Cherokee, your children would be 3/4 Cherokee via 1/4 from you and 1/2 from your husband.

You have to have a parent who is watered down to get 1/8, and that's impossible when the parent is 100%.

Quote:
Yes, she'd be 1/2 Cherokee if her bio father was 100% Cherokee and her bio mother had no Cherokee.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:35 AM

23,248 posts, read 28,060,420 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My mother is 100% Irish, so I'm 1/2 Irish. The other 1/2 is a mix of my father being English (1/4) Scottish (1/4) and French (1/2). So I'm 1/2 Irish, 1/4 French, 1/8 Scottish and 1/8 English.

My children are 1/4 Irish, 1/8 French, 1/16 Scottish, 1/16 English, 1/4 polish (paternal grandmother 100%) and 1/4 german (paternal grandfather 100%). My sister married someone who is half Irish and Italian. Her children are 1/2 Irish because there's 1/2 Irish in both parents, 1/8 French, 1/16 Scottish, 1/16 English, and 1/4 Italian.
How simple genealogy would be if that were true!

However, your Scots ancestor might have a French ancestor and your English ancestor might have a German ancestor and ...

Let's just say that I expected to be English, Scots-Irish, and a little German. The French Huguenots threw me for a loop.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,601,870 times
Quote:

From what I understand, only 1/8 of Native American DNA gets passed down from a father to a daughter. Only 1/8 gets passed down from a mother to any child.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How simple genealogy would be if that were true!

However, your Scots ancestor might have a French ancestor and your English ancestor might have a German ancestor and ...

Let's just say that I expected to be English, Scots-Irish, and a little German. The French Huguenots threw me for a loop.
Of course. There's always a marriage way down the line nobody knows about today. However, based on exactly WHAT FAMILIES KNOW about their ancestry, it's a good enough example of how percentages are calculated to show coventech that there's no way she can be 1/8 Cherokee if her bio father is 100% Cherokee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption