U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,786,752 times

Advertisements

Those of us with interracial families can certainly relate to this mother's feelings. I know I certainly can.

Mom's Interaction With Trader Joe's Employee Is Precious | SF Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:11 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
That Trader Joe's employee is a wonderful person with a beautiful heart. As a believer in the "what goes around comes around" school of thought, I do believe that she will be blessed for her kindness, some way or another.

And yes, I can sympathize with the blogger's desire to blend in, which is always a challenge for any trans-racial adoptive family. But let's face it: if one's desire is to fade into the woodwork, adopting developmentally disabled kids from another race, and giving them highly unusual names, is not the most effective strategy!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:19 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,863,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
That Trader Joe's employee is a wonderful person with a beautiful heart. As a believer in the "what goes around comes around" school of thought, I do believe that she will be blessed for her kindness, some way or another.

And yes, I can sympathize with the blogger's desire to blend in, which is always a challenge for any trans-racial adoptive family. But let's face it: if one's desire is to fade into the woodwork, adopting developmentally disabled kids from another race, and giving them highly unusual names, is not the most effective strategy!
Busman, it is quite probable that the children had those names when they were adopted from Ethiopia;

our family Lauren Casper Online

Old 04-18-2015, 09:37 PM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Busman, it is quite probable that the children had those names when they were adopted from Ethiopia;

our family Lauren Casper Online
Somehow I hadn't thought about that, so thank you for pointing it out.

I'm not saying that the parents should have changed the names, because that's a decision for them and them alone. I'm just saying that their family situation -- names and all -- is going to make it really hard to blend in. It is the lot in life of trans-racial adoptive families to stick out, to be walking billboards for trans-racial adoption. Some may see this as a challenge, while others may see it as an opportunity. Most of us in this situation will see it as both of those things, at one point or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or