U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 AM

36,482 posts, read 43,627,993 times

Advertisements

The Washington State woman who "identifies" as black and the term Transracial are all over the news and social media. Most of us have only heard of this term being used in international adoption. This article gives a unique perspective.

Rachel Dolezal draws ire of transracial adoptees - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 AM

5,623 posts, read 3,616,627 times
“My parents did a great job mitigating these kind of racial differences,” Tucker said. “They were really aware of their own privilege in the sense that they could go to a grocery store and go down the hair aisle and find shampoo that would work with Caucasian hair, but not us.”

But even with supportive parents, Tucker struggled. She straightened her hair. She was told she acted white. Trying out for a state track meet with headphones on, people made “microagressive comments” about her music of choice: country.

“As I grew, I had to work really hard and go through really different stages and phases of my emotional identity to figure out my identity,” Tucker said.

Now, she says some of that work is being undone by a national conversation about Rachel Dolezal as “transracial.”

“I think she used her white privilege to slip into our space without owning the historical struggles that black folks have faced,” Tucker said. “It could never go the other way around.”

I might have been more sympathetic to her "fish out of water" upbringing if she didn't sound like a pretentious little snot spouting trendy academic jargon and assuming the worst of anyone who dared to say or do anything that didn't comport with her chip-on-shoulder view of life.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:06 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,857,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
“My parents did a great job mitigating these kind of racial differences,” Tucker said. “They were really aware of their own privilege in the sense that they could go to a grocery store and go down the hair aisle and find shampoo that would work with Caucasian hair, but not us.”

But even with supportive parents, Tucker struggled. She straightened her hair. She was told she acted white. Trying out for a state track meet with headphones on, people made “microagressive comments” about her music of choice: country.

“As I grew, I had to work really hard and go through really different stages and phases of my emotional identity to figure out my identity,” Tucker said.

Now, she says some of that work is being undone by a national conversation about Rachel Dolezal as “transracial.”

“I think she used her white privilege to slip into our space without owning the historical struggles that black folks have faced,” Tucker said. “It could never go the other way around.”

I might have been more sympathetic to her "fish out of water" upbringing if she didn't sound like a pretentious little snot spouting trendy academic jargon and assuming the worst of anyone who dared to say or do anything that didn't comport with her chip-on-shoulder view of life.
It sounds to me like you are using her language choices as an excuse to dismiss what she is trying to say.

Btw one phrase I will never ever use to talk about anyone is "chip on their shoulder". It is almost always used as a way to dismiss a person's point of view.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
It sounds to me like you are using her language choices as an excuse to dismiss what she is trying to say.

Btw one phrase I will never ever use to talk about anyone is "chip on their shoulder". It is almost always used as a way to dismiss a person's point of view.
I'm not dismissing what she is trying to say; I'm simply not listening to it. Her choice of words is so annoying to me that I'm simply not willing to slog my way through them in order to discern the message behind them.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,311,203 times
Quote:
I'm not dismissing what she is trying to say; I'm simply not listening to it. Her choice of words is so annoying to me that I'm simply not willing to slog my way through them in order to discern the message behind them.
So you reject her message because you don't like her word choice? Wow - do you do that in your every day life too? Is that how you treat co-workers if they tell you something with words you don't "like" ?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So you reject her message because you don't like her word choice? Wow - do you do that in your every day life too? Is that how you treat co-workers if they tell you something with words you don't "like" ?
Ummm . . . no. Fortunately for me, a harmonious work environment does not depend on my being willing to listen to every random Internet post I happen to come across.

I'm also fortunate that I have co-workers who have enough consideration that they will try and deliver their messages in a tactful manner. And if they have need to criticize some aspect of my work performance, they don't gratuitously spout off about "white privilege" and accuse me of lobbing "microaggressions" at them. They simply address the matter at hand.

If the lady in the article had done that, I would have paid attention to what she had to say, as I am more than a little interested in learning about the experiences of minority adoptees growing up with white parents. But I have a hard time abiding people who come across as though they have chips on their shoulders. (My apologies to susankate, but I can think of no better phrase to describe the quick-to-take-offense-at-everything attitude that I felt the lady in the article displayed.)

Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Ummm . . . no. Fortunately for me, a harmonious work environment does not depend on my being willing to listen to every random Internet post I happen to come across.

I'm also fortunate that I have co-workers who have enough consideration that they will try and deliver their messages in a tactful manner. And if they have need to criticize some aspect of my work performance, they don't gratuitously spout off about "white privilege" and accuse me of lobbing "microaggressions" at them. They simply address the matter at hand.

If the lady in the article had done that, I would have paid attention to what she had to say, as I am more than a little interested in learning about the experiences of minority adoptees growing up with white parents. But I have a hard time abiding people who come across as though they have chips on their shoulders. (My apologies to susankate, but I can think of no better phrase to describe the quick-to-take-offense-at-everything attitude that I felt the lady in the article displayed.)
My point is that you are willing to dismiss what someone says because you don't like the "upppity" terms she used. Nevermind that the message might be important, you aren't even willing to hear it because of the delivery.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
My point is that you are willing to dismiss what someone says because you don't like the "upppity" terms she used. Nevermind that the message might be important, you aren't even willing to hear it because of the delivery.
Yes, that's essentially correct. I'm sorry that this apparently does not sit well with you, but that's how I feel about it.

The author of the blog article is under no obligation to moderate her language to suit my sensibilities. But I am under no obligation to give anyone a hearing (excepting those who are in authority over me) who speaks in a manner that I find offensive.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,857,654 times
Quote:
Yes, that's essentially correct. I'm sorry that this apparently does not sit well with you, but that's how I feel about it.

The author of the blog article is under no obligation to moderate her language to suit my sensibilities. But I am under no obligation to give anyone a hearing (excepting those who are in authority over me) who speaks in a manner that I find offensive.
I for one wouldn't base my opinions of someone on one article. From what I've seen of Angela Tucker, she seems like a lovely down to earth person. She is best known for her documentary, Closure:

CLOSURE Documentary | Angela Tucker

Angela Tucker | Blogger / Speaker / Educator

Old 06-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:

It's a shame that you find educated speech offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption