U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 AM

46 posts, read 19,387 times

Advertisements

Well I have 2 adoptive sons. Best kids in the would. Every night I thank god and the girls that gave them up at birth. Thanks that they were not aborted. They at26 and 31 now. I have in my will given both girls $100000. They do not no it. and a thank you letter for the love they gave us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
If we know kittens , monkeys, and baby dolphins suffer damage if taken from their mother why do we as a society largely not get that would be the case much less with a human baby
first of all we do not know that and secondly, humans are a bit different from 4 legged animals. of course there probably are lasting questions adopted children have but there are times, many times when a mother is not equipted to raise a child and even with the possible questions a person might have after being adopted, it is the best answer. Nothing we do in life is perfect.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:24 AM

1,409 posts, read 808,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
first of all we do not know that and secondly, humans are a bit different from 4 legged animals. of course there probably are lasting questions adopted children have but there are times, many times when a mother is not equipted to raise a child and even with the possible questions a person might have after being adopted, it is the best answer. Nothing we do in life is perfect.
I believe that's common knowledge. Anyone who knows about animals will say it adversely impacts animals if they are taken from their real mothers before so many weeks/ months , much less a human infant--- and of course nothing is perfect (?) but not sure what that has to do with the topic. We weren't debating whether people need to achieve perfection?

Old 02-03-2018, 11:41 PM

4,486 posts, read 3,319,586 times
Farm, zoo and pet animals are routinely fostered by animals other than their birth mothers, sometimes by animals that aren't even the same species, not for amusement, but because sometimes the mother becomes ill, dies, or is incompetent or abusive.

I actually honestly don't know of any animal behavior studies indicating that a "real mother" is significantly preferable to another competent caregiver. Those famous maternal deprivation studies were done specifically on the effect of absent or subpar caregivers. I mean, the Harlow monkey studies were actually used to promote foster care and adoption, on the basis that it's healthier than an institution.

I haven't delved too deep, though. Perhaps you can point to some animal studies indicating that replacement of the "real mother" has measurable negative outcomes for the offspring?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:29 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,842,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Remember though, adoption was for finding homes for children who had been orphaned.

Later, it became adults getting bastard children. (LDS went into the adoption business, essentially.) Unfortunately, that definition has prevailed for way too long. And now includes other reasons based on self-interested parties - some of who confuse wants with needs to reason away their covetousness.

What does this mean for an adoptee? An orphaned person, cannot have the opportunity to meet their first parents, so any inkling of romanticizing a relationship is not possible - although they can wonder. A person who has their first parents alive, somewhere, may be curious and may want to have a relationship with them. Myself, I don't interpret this as romanticizing some ideal, though. It's their right.

Although, the needs of a child are simple, it is still important to understand that the majority of infant adoptions and possibly many younger children while their parents are successfully completing programs to be better parents, in the USA, are not necessary.

so, now you are calling me a bastard??

Old 02-05-2018, 08:45 AM

Late

Of course not
Middle is making a point
And I'm adopted so there's that....

Old 02-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Farm, zoo and pet animals are routinely fostered by animals other than their birth mothers, sometimes by animals that aren't even the same species, not for amusement, but because sometimes the mother becomes ill, dies, or is incompetent or abusive.

I actually honestly don't know of any animal behavior studies indicating that a "real mother" is significantly preferable to another competent caregiver. Those famous maternal deprivation studies were done specifically on the effect of absent or subpar caregivers. I mean, the Harlow monkey studies were actually used to promote foster care and adoption, on the basis that it's healthier than an institution.

I haven't delved too deep, though. Perhaps you can point to some animal studies indicating that replacement of the "real mother" has measurable negative outcomes for the offspring?
*** Lets remember the part where in order to have a second mother the child has to first be **seperated ** aka taken away, torn from, etc their natural mother

Old 02-05-2018, 08:59 AM

3,915 posts, read 2,750,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
*** Lets remember the part where in order to have a second mother the child has to first be **seperated ** aka taken away, torn from, etc their natural mother
What are your thoughts about the 13 shackled children from Perris?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:31 PM

838 posts, read 301,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
so, now you are calling me a bastard??
Within that context of time, that was the term used. It was meant to insult and degrade people. It's basically a smear on somebody without their first parents being united by marriage. As such, the inferior child needed to be placed in the hands of a god fearing couple.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,842,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Within that context of time, that was the term used. It was meant to insult and degrade people. It's basically a smear on somebody without their first parents being united by marriage. As such, the inferior child needed to be placed in the hands of a god fearing couple.

oh, PUULLLEAAZE......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or