U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:09 PM

843 posts, read 303,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy340 View Post
So at what point would it be co-parenting? At what point would the adoptive parents just be baby-sitting for the birth family?
Open adoption isn't babysitting or co-parenting, go back and read some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 809,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Yes.... Where is the difficulty some people seem to encounter understanding this basic concept?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Yes.... Where is the difficulty some people seem to encounter understanding this basic concept?
I wonder if it's deliberate in trying to mislead readers. It's alarming that one poster promotes adoption as what couples want, especially.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM

260 posts, read 160,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I won't even try-- if your belief is that for the birth parent and child to have the chance to meet now means the adoptive parents are just "babysitters"
So are you saying that open adoption has no problems?

Because, we represent clients where the birth parents are trying to force the adoptive parents to grow marijuana on their farm and are threatening to do bodily harm to adoptive parents because they adopted their "blood." And then there are the problems with birth parents showing up to meeting stoned out of their minds. We also had a couple of birth parents OD at the court house.

I'm not sure it's good idea for them to meet every now and then. And before you ask, these are not foster care adoptions.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
So when a birth parent asks the adoptive parent to take the adoptive child to a birth family reunion without the adoptive parent across state lines, do you think that is a normal open adoption activity? And her justification for this activity is that they are both parenting the child, what would you call this?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I wonder if it's deliberate in trying to mislead readers. It's alarming that one poster promotes adoption as what couples want, especially.
I think you need to remember that "Open Adoption" is a marketing campaign. Very few states give open adoption any legal weight. Also, adoption agencies cannot create laws. I had one tell me that.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Yes xyz340, actually I forgot about that! Darn it- you got me and middletwin there -- I had forgotten all about the epidemic of birth parents who attempt to literally "force" adoptive parents to start a "marijuana farm" and the poor helpless adoptive parents are like "oh dear what do we do honey? "

Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
So when a birth parent asks the adoptive parent to take the adoptive child to a birth family reunion without the adoptive parent across state lines, do you think that is a normal open adoption activity? And her justification for this activity is that they are both parenting the child, what would you call this?
"What would you call this?"

An epidemic... were screwed..legions of birth parents trying to force adoptive parents to let them take their bio child to family reunions that always of course occur "across state lines"

Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
So are you saying that open adoption has no problems?

Because, we represent clients where the birth parents are trying to force the adoptive parents to grow marijuana on their farm and are threatening to do bodily harm to adoptive parents because they adopted their "blood." And then there are the problems with birth parents showing up to meeting stoned out of their minds. We also had a couple of birth parents OD at the court house.

I'm not sure it's good idea for them to meet every now and then. And before you ask, these are not foster care adoptions.
Hyperbolic rare and alleged stories aside: if is not in the best interest, then children don't see their parents, whether bio, first or second parent.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I think you need to remember that "Open Adoption" is a marketing campaign. Very few states give open adoption any legal weight. Also, adoption agencies cannot create laws. I had one tell me that.
Correct, open adoption is marketing.Traditionally, it was a tactic used to ensnare a pregnant woman, to finish the sale.

Correct, second parents can reneg at any time, then and they still can.

Industries and businesses use lobbyists to get bills into laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or