U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2017, 07:10 AM
 
6,390 posts, read 2,294,356 times
Reputation: 14676

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Or you can see people as human beings, that don't require your approval. There are good ,bad and in between people in any country, hopefully one would have enough insight and also respect to reflect that to ones children. Rather than a "look how wonderful this country is, because I always liked people from that place and also they're a particular religion too.

And her impression the one time she was there, was positive, and uplifting, and she can pass her happy impression along to her children, and let her children know that they came from a wonderful place.


Her children will naturally have questions about where they came from. I think it's great that OP can honestly say "It's a wonderful place with lovely people, and I'm looking forward to taking you there someday so you can see for yourself."


People are allowed their impressions, and they're certainly entitled to paint a positive image for their children, who will naturally wonder about the place they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2017, 06:24 PM
 
1,409 posts, read 802,288 times
Reputation: 2331
Conversely, as Middletwin stated there are plenty of good people in other countries the OP doesn't approve of, and can be used to teach and be a good example of seeing others as human beings who are capable of being good no matter what country or culture/ religion they come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 03:32 AM
 
13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
Reputation: 20392
A very politically correct and multicultural-loving couple I knew adopted a girl from China (had been abandoned under the one-child policy). He fretted "it will be hard to keep Chinese culture alive for A." I suggested that it wasn't necessary. She was the same age as their bio kid, had spent one orphanage year somewhere in China, a country of 5,000 years and eight time zones. Which culture? Why would this child think it belonged to her when she grew up in a Virginia American family with a same-age American-born sister?

Yes, she looks different with Asian features. It doesn't mean she wants to learn the Lion Dance or some other Fujian thing that Americans think of as "Chinese."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 07:43 AM
 
6,390 posts, read 2,294,356 times
Reputation: 14676
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Conversely, as Middletwin stated there are plenty of good people in other countries the OP doesn't approve of, and can be used to teach and be a good example of seeing others as human beings who are capable of being good no matter what country or culture/ religion they come from.


Yeah. Sure.


But HER children are from South Korea. So naturally, HER curiosity is about South Korea, and happily, she had/has a positive experience, and can paint a positive impression for her kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,619 posts, read 3,608,847 times
Reputation: 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah. Sure.


But HER children are from South Korea. So naturally, HER curiosity is about South Korea, and happily, she had/has a positive experience, and can paint a positive impression for her kids.
Thank you, Sassybluesy, you've expressed how I feel quite well. I don't know why certain other posters have such trouble understanding that having a positive impression of my childrens' birth country doesn't mean that I think that it's perfect, and doesn't mean that I look down on every other country.

Incidentally, I took my kids to South Korea this past summer, and it greatly exceeded our expectations. So this proved to be a very beneficial thing for all of us. Even though my kids are American, I still feel that it's desirable for them (and for us) to have positive feelings for their birth country.

Oh, and I hate to sound churlish, but I'm a "he."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 PM
 
6,390 posts, read 2,294,356 times
Reputation: 14676
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Thank you, Sassybluesy, you've expressed how I feel quite well. I don't know why certain other posters have such trouble understanding that having a positive impression of my childrens' birth country doesn't mean that I think that it's perfect, and doesn't mean that I look down on every other country.

Incidentally, I took my kids to South Korea this past summer, and it greatly exceeded our expectations. So this proved to be a very beneficial thing for all of us. Even though my kids are American, I still feel that it's desirable for them (and for us) to have positive feelings for their birth country.

Oh, and I hate to sound churlish, but I'm a "he."

Yikes! I have a bad habit of assuming...and in this case, being unobservant. LOL Geez...'man' is in your name. LOL


I'm sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,619 posts, read 3,608,847 times
Reputation: 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yikes! I have a bad habit of assuming...and in this case, being unobservant. LOL Geez...'man' is in your name. LOL


I'm sorry!
Not to worry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM
 
379 posts, read 397,329 times
Reputation: 750
We had 6 wonderful trips to Russia and have fond memories of the people we met. People were very kind concerning our adoptions and happy for all of us. We adopted our loving daughters in 2001 and 2008....seems like yerstrrday, now filling out College applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top