Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

There is considerable pressure on young women these days to convince them to give up their baby for adoption. This is because of the high demand for healthy infants in the adoption industry.
Really? How does this happen? Adoption attorneys stalk obstetrician offices?

Seriously curious about your statement. I know many young single mommies and none of them said they were pressured by strangers in the adoption industry to give up their babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 10:57 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

It's funny you said this. Because stalking an obstetrician office was exactly how my neighbor was found and placed for adoption. This was back in the 1960s and HIPAA rules weren't around. His adoptive mom followed a young, pregnant woman she knew of, to her doctor's appointments and the doctor freely gave out the young woman's address and phone number to her.

Many young, single women are pressured to give up their babies today. Just because it hasn't happened to the particular women that you know, doesn't mean that it does not go on. Here are a few links to get you started.

https://adoption.com/Im-being-pressu...at-should-i-do

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mirah...b_8374792.html

Ever heard of the baby scoop era?

https://www.adoptionstogether.org/bl...ets-a-bad-rap/

Old 04-12-2018, 05:41 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I would think that being adopted by a same sex couple would be a gigantic improvement over living in foster care.

Just guessing, but since older children and potential adoptive paren't get to meet before the adoption, if a child was gay phobic or a rabid hater, the hopeful adoptive parents would probably back out and wait for another child instead of taking on that particular problem .

Old 04-14-2018, 08:31 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
It's funny you said this. Because stalking an obstetrician office was exactly how my neighbor was found and placed for adoption. This was back in the 1960s and HIPAA rules weren't around. His adoptive mom followed a young, pregnant woman she knew of, to her doctor's appointments and the doctor freely gave out the young woman's address and phone number to her.

Many young, single women are pressured to give up their babies today. Just because it hasn't happened to the particular women that you know, doesn't mean that it does not go on. Here are a few links to get you started.
I still disagree that pregnant single women are pressured by strangers or adoption agencies these days to give up their babies if they haven't reached out to adoption agencies themselves.

Being given incentives or meeting potential birth parents isn't a bad thing.

What happened in the 40's, 50's, 60's, etc doesn't matter.

Don't want to give up your baby for adoption? Just say no.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

https://adoption.com/Im-being-pressu...at-should-i-do

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mirah...b_8374792.html

Ever heard of the baby scoop era?

https://www.adoptionstogether.org/bl...ets-a-bad-rap/

Actually, I think that people in what you call the "baby scoop era" were more pragmatic, less sentimental, and more forward thinking than people are today.

Every child has the right to be raised by adults. At the very least. There are so many incidents of children who are "kept" by their teen biological parents who are battered and killed.

They would be better off adopted than raised by an ill-prepared parent.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:18 AM

64 posts, read 55,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Every child has the right to be raised by adults. At the very least. There are so many incidents of children who are "kept" by their teen biological parents who are battered and killed.

They would be better off adopted than raised by an ill-prepared parent.
Whoa.
It would be great to see some statistics here to compare the probability of such "incidents" in teen biological families vs. ill-prepared adoptive parents.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:27 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Seriously curious about your statement. I know many young single mommies and none of them said they were pressured by strangers in the adoption industry to give up their babies.
One way that it happens when doctor's know and like other people or patients who desperately want a healthy child. The doctor then discusses private adoption with pregnant single women - especially young women - in the role of a "caring" doctor. The doctor might even invite the childless friend or patient to sit in the waiting room when the single pregnant woman is in the waiting room, and the childless woman might even start a conversation with the pregnant single woman and attempt to befriend the pregnant woman. The pregnant single woman might find herself with a brand new friend without knowing what is going on, and, after the baby is born, the single mom might find herself in strange conversations about adoption when that was never the plan.

This sort of thing happened in the 1980s. It is a subtle, gradual, emotional manipulation of an emotionally vulnerable pregnant single woman with the implication that the child is better off in a stable home with great parents and the single mother can have her freedom and continue to pursue her dreams. "Just say no" is not as straight forward as it sounds when single, vulnerable, young, pregnant women are the targeted group.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:32 PM

82 posts, read 78,472 times
Quote:
I will also call you bigoted.

Children need a LOVING HOME. It does not matter what the gender or sexual orientation of the parents may be.

I think the young man from Ukraine, who has taken refuge at my house from his Fundamentalist Christian parents, after trying to make it on his own. Those "Christians" would not permit internet use, cell phones, attendance at prom, most television and movies and sports.

My feeling is a pair of understanding and reasonable same sex parents would have been preferential.
The above is pretty ironic.

How do you justify the implication that the gay family is "right" and the fundamentalist family "wrong?" These are simply two families that have very different views of the world.

if you are going to support the gay family's right to live in the way they choose and raise children according to their standards, it is hypocritical to condemn the fundamentalist family for doing the same exact thing.

The above would indicate you are also a bigot - simply a more socially acceptable one since in the current climate it is "cool" to trash conservative Christians.

It's is interesting in the context of this discussion, since some of the disagreement here seems to revolve around this point. What we think is "best" is heavily colored by our own experience and what we believe to be the proper home environment. It's not always a matter of right vs wrong. Both sides and be right (or wrong).

Old 04-23-2018, 08:18 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef279 View Post
The above is pretty ironic.

How do you justify the implication that the gay family is "right" and the fundamentalist family "wrong?" These are simply two families that have very different views of the world.

if you are going to support the gay family's right to live in the way they choose and raise children according to their standards, it is hypocritical to condemn the fundamentalist family for doing the same exact thing.

The above would indicate you are also a bigot - simply a more socially acceptable one since in the current climate it is "cool" to trash conservative Christians.

It's is interesting in the context of this discussion, since some of the disagreement here seems to revolve around this point. What we think is "best" is heavily colored by our own experience and what we believe to be the proper home environment. It's not always a matter of right vs wrong. Both sides and be right (or wrong).
The decision always has to focus on the best interests of the children. Is it in the best interests of a female heterosexual child to be raised by two homosexual men, or a male heterosexual child to be raised by two homosexual women? Presumably every child should have access to a strong role model of the same gender. Should same sex adoptive parents have to provide a parenting plan that outlines how those children will have access to same gender role models? Should adoptive parents have to adhere to strict rules about not indoctrinating children with their personal beliefs? Should adoptive parents be required to enrol adopted children in the school system (no "home schooling")? The more I think about it, the more it seems that adoptive parents need to be given stricter requirements about what is expected of them.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I will also call you bigoted.

Children need a LOVING HOME. It does not matter what the gender or sexual orientation of the parents may be.

I think the young man from Ukraine, who has taken refuge at my house from his Fundamentalist Christian parents, after trying to make it on his own. Those "Christians" would not permit internet use, cell phones, attendance at prom, most television and movies and sports.

My feeling is a pair of understanding and reasonable same sex parents would have been preferential.
You and I usually see eye-to-eye on adoption matters, but I must take exception to what you have written here. There is nothing inherently un-Christian, much less abusive, about prohibiting internet use, cell phones, prom, movies, sports, etc. It may be jarring to modern sensibilities, but that is orders of magnitude different from being so offensive as to warrant having their child leave home. Unless there is more to the story of which I am not aware, what you are describing is simply parents raising their children according to their own standards -- something that ALL parents, adoptive and otherwise, do.

It is certainly your prerogative to disagree with their parenting methods. But I don't think you would be too thrilled if someone gave refuge to one of your children because they disapproved of how you wanted to raise them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption